Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Table Finish Question

I just finished construction of my L BGE table.  I took some of the ideas I have found here and created a hybrid of sorts and it does fit within the OE BGE Long table cover..  Got about 20 hours in it so far.  My first stab at a large wood project, never made drawers or panels from dimensional stock before.  Made a lot of newbie errors but learned a great deal from the experience.

It is 100% cedar with the exception of the interior shelves.  All of the joinery is done using the Kreg tool.  I have never finished any cedar before, for the casement I picked boards with great color and I don't want to hide with dark stain.

The open section on top will be done in granite.  I have attached a sample of the coloration.

Would love some ideas on what finish to pick for the table.  And thanks in advance!
LBGE Alpharetta, GA

Comments

• Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Looks fantastic.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• BearQ
    BearQ Posts: 174
    edited October 2014
    I used cedar as well and plan on using TWP1501 cedar tone finish. It will darken the wood but that is what will provide the UV protection. Clear finishes have no UV protection. Oh & nice table.
    Barrie,Ont.,Canada.
  • I'm planning on using 2 different stains on my cedar. One as clear as I can get, and one with a reddish hue to it. I'm planning on alternating colors on the top and have the legs darker than the rails....

I'm still dreaming it up, SWMBO would kill me if I bought more lumber right now.... Surprised her with redoing the 24x18 deck....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Very nice table. Try to find a UV resistant stain close to the natural color.

On a side note, do you have the plans for that table!? I have an XL and would like to build a new table soon.
  • I have that same granite in my kitchen! awesome table!
    Brandon, MS
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I wish I could help but I have about zero carpenter skills. But I would like to say that it looks great thus far. Fine job indeed my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Nice job on your new table.   I used marine spar varnish on my table. It will darken your wood with a slight yellowish tinge.  Supposed to be good for exterior application.  Home depot has some good outside deck stain also. You can get some sample 1/2 pints for less than 5 dollars.

BGE, Treager LilTex, Terinan 48 SOB, Custom electric smoker, Weber kettle, Weber gas grill, Masterbuilt SS smoker, last but not least UDS

I've never meet a cow I didn't like, with a little salt and pepper.

Amarillo, Texas

• I used Penofin Red Label, top rated stuff, really love color but my table top has adsorbed water and warped badly. Wish I would have used epoxy to seal top.
  • you got some skills...... can't wait for the completed project!
  • Railtech
    Railtech Posts: 6
    edited October 2014
    Thanks for all the positive comments.  It was a fun project and was nice to work in some sawdust for a change.  I tried some samples two toning but on my test pieces the colors were hard to segregate.  Some of the darker bled into the light.  Since I built within the dimensions of the OE BGE Long cover I think I am just going to Marine Spar it.  I did a test piece in that and it darkened up nicely.  And not too dark.  I'll poly, wetsand and coat a couple times on the signature pieces.  On my tests that turned out really well.

Wish I could get poly to lay down even.  I am a car guy and can lay down flat with a gun.  But with a brush I am useless :).

I did order a granite piece for under the egg I'll inlay into the egg deck.  I saw some other who did same and it looked good.  But I don't want my egg sticking up too high.  My egg deck to counter measurement is about 14 and I'd like to keep it around that.  I did order a 16x16 piece so that will fully cover the bottom and give me the option to use feet.

I could probably draft some plans, I did mine on a couple sheets of graph paper.  But as things fit together I did modify a bit.  Just newbie woodworker errors.  I could be sized for an XL dimensionally.  My width is 24 inches, since I used 2x4 construction I did have to notch front and rear 2x4s to accommodate the 21 inch hole.  Knowing that I should have used 1x4 for the upper deck rails.

Here is what it is with the cover, its a bit tall and I used a piece of wood to stand in for the egg so it should fit nicely.

Hope to finish next week, granite should be in by Wednesday.

LBGE Alpharetta, GA
  • That marine spar let the colors pop a bit more than it did with my test sections.  I think this turned out a bit better than I had hoped for.
    LBGE Alpharetta, GA
  • Granite came in, set it with some construction adhesive.  Will let that dry a day and get the egg in its new home.
    LBGE Alpharetta, GA
  • Great job, looks awesome.
    Wimberley,TX
    X-Large,Large, Medium and Small
    17" and 28" Blackstones
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Cabinet doors look fantastic
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Beautiful job! 

The trick to poly paints is to brush it on thin and use more coats rather than fewer thin coats.  I just lightly sand by had prior to each subsequent coat.  I have applied many, many gallons of spar and polyurethane to wood.  And use a good brush.
    It looks spectacular my friend. Sure wish mine would have turned out that nice!!!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• It looks absolutely stunning, props to you, bookmarking this page for whenever I get around to starting mine.
  • Great looking table. I have recently completed a table and looking for a cover.Can you point me in the right direction?
    Thanks.
  • Just a suggestions.... use the table nest on top of that granite...... my stone shattered after one HOT cooking when only using the the egg feet.

looks great!!!!! post one with the egg in her home!
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Well done! (pun intended)

Cedar is a great looking wood, nice grain that really pops when you seal it. Multiple light coats will serve you much better than fewer heavy coats, as already pointed out above by nolaegghead.

I've got my own sealing project soon... this is already starting to fade:

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @Railtech‌ ...like I told her, nice job. ..if that's the best you can do. =))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Beautiful job! 

The trick to poly paints is to brush it on thin and use more coats rather than fewer thin coats.  I just lightly sand by had prior to each subsequent coat.  I have applied many, many gallons of spar and polyurethane to wood.  And use a good brush.

Yes thanks nolaegghead, figured out the poly trick, I got about 7 thin coats on the smooth surfaces and about 4 on the rough.  I went back to my car roots.  Poly'ed it, wet sanded with 600 and re-coated.  That seemed to work pretty well.

I got the egg in, was originally going to set it on the granite.  But the bottom was not level...  Went on a local quest to find feet.  I did find a local BGE place that had old stock feet.  Got a great deal on those.  I'd like to use the metal nest but that would make it too tall.  Right now its about as high as I could take it.  I am 6'2 and can use it OK but it could be a little tall for my spouse.

If I had to do it again I'd probably take the BGE down about 2 inches and probably the overall table around 3-4.  The egg deck to counter is about 13.5 and I'd like to see that be around 15-16.  I could lose my casters but want the ability to move depending on prevailing winds.

The granite I got was remnant scrap, if it cracks I may come up with a plan B.  If I do anything hot I'll put an engine blanket under the base.

jrothe34 said:
    Great looking table. I have recently completed a table and looking for a cover.Can you point me in the right direction?
    Thanks.
    I kind of went the other direction.  I bought the cover first and built the table to fit under it.  I did research some custom shops there are several out there that can make one to your dimensions.
    LBGE Alpharetta, GA
  • Wow great work! That is a really nice looking table. For anyone else looking to finish cedar or similar wood, I've had excellent success with General finishes 450 from Woodcraft (work working supply store). It doesn't yellow or peel off.
  • I used a spar varnish in my cedar table as well, so glad I did! The finish really makes the grain and knots stand out! Going to make an entertainment table / mini bar next to match. Good job on your table, enjoy!!! :D