Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vacuum Sealers recomendation

Options
The orginal Food Savor, bought from the infomercial, is finally giving up the ghost. DIL gave me a FS Space Saver from Costco and it was a pile o' .... Done my internet homework. Not sure i which to buy..... Very open to suggestions.
Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Gee...I wish I could help @Austin_Egghead Seems like everytime one of mine gives up the ghost, there's a coupon code going around the forums and I just get whatever one it applies to. Not even sure what model I have even though I used it last night. :(

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I bought this one from Costco and it has worked great, it is my first sealer.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    I have had decent luck with my Gamesaver Silver and I see they now advertize a platinum version. Be sure to price the kits as I recieved a bunch of bags and several accessories for 1 cent less than the price of the Gamesaver alone.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    I'm using a Foodsaver V3440, still works great after 5 years.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Options
    If you do any Sous Vide or like to vacuum seal anything wet look into a chamber vacuum sealer. I got this one and love it. You can vacuum pack soup with these.

Duncan, SC
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options

SWMBO is getting me a FS 4880 from Costco for Christmas.  This is definitely gonna help when I smoked up 15 lbs of bacon.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    We are on our first. The one at Costco. Works fine if dry and give a second between bags
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    That's the one I have too, no complaints.  I vacuum sealed SWMBOs car keys, put them back in her purse.  She loves jokes like that..
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    Options
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Joan, I read of too many Foodsavers failing so when I got tired of my really cheapo seal a meal, I moved up to the Weston Pro2300. Same as the one from Cabela's. No complaints, except the price. If I were to do it again, I'd probably just buy a Foodsaver and hope for the best. 

The chamber vacs suck better and use dirt cheap bags, but are too expensive for me. Steven has one.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Forgot to mention, the thing is HUGE. And heavy. Will seal 15" bags as I recall. It's about 18" wide. If you have a place for it, fine. But I don't think you'll want to have to put it away every time you use it.

Also, it has no provision for sealing canisters or the like. Just vac bags.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    I'm with Carolina Q, I to bought a Weston 2300, I got tired of the disposable Foodsaver, the Weston is heavy but it does a wonderful job. I would buy again.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    Has anyone noticed if a chamber vacuum sealer changes the texture of the various meats (such as chicken being a bit mushy, etc.)?
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• Little Steven
    Options
    Joan,

Vacmaster 215.Nuff said

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    nolan8v said:
    Has anyone noticed if a chamber vacuum sealer changes the texture of the various meats (such as chicken being a bit mushy, etc.)?
    They do seal with higher negative pressure (oxymoron?) and i can see that being true. Butchers use them though.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Joan,

Vacmaster 215.Nuff said
    Hey Steve, did you trade in your 112/115 for the 215?
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    nolan8v said:
    (my apology for thread jacking, Joan)

I'm still experimenting with my recently purchased vp215.  It's probably true if the vacuum is too strong, I should keep that in mind.

What's nice with most, if not all, chamber sealers is you get a visual of the vacuum gauge and don't let it 'over' vacuum.  Here's a good example:

canuckland
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have the camo gamesaver model. The bronze I think. It's a champ. Highly recommend
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • baychilla
    Options
    Mross said:
    If you do any Sous Vide or like to vacuum seal anything wet look into a chamber vacuum sealer. I got this one and love it. You can vacuum pack soup with these.

Do they make them in a smaller and under $600 variety?  The smallest I saw was the one on the sous vide supreme website.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    My wife got me this one last year for Christmas.  Works greatimage
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Canugghead
    edited November 2014
    Options
    @baychilla - I doubt they can make it much smaller, chamber sealer needs the hefty mass to withstand the pressure, you don't want the vacuum chamber to collapse ;))

The same vp112 that you see at Sous Vide Supreme website for $799 is currently on sale at Webstaurantstore for $519, also free shipping:
    The bags for chamber sealer are also way cheaper because they don't need special channels to draw out air.

canuckland
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    All i can say is I've had my Food Saver 3860 my bride bought me for Christmas 2 years ago and it has performed stellar at anything I've wanted to do. 
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I have had the Foodsaver 3880 for several years.  Have used it a lot and have had no problems. If I were buying new today, I would probably get the Gamesaver.  I recommend using Weston bags.  They are cheaper than Foodsaver bags and work  great with Foodsavers.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Love my VM Pro 305.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • kthacher
    kthacher Posts: 155
    Options
    JRWhitee said:

Me too. I was considering more expensive models, and am glad I went with this product. It is also my first sealer, so I can't compare it to other models. I have used it for bacon, roasts, chicken parts, sausage, steaks, and tomatoes at least and it has been flawless. Including long curing of pork belly prior to smoking.
    Winnipeg, Canada