Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KJ Vs MM

Options

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Sounds like folks should hold off on the PS and just spend the extra $30-40 for the KJ setup you mentioned.
    Seattle, WA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Some more pics. You can see the one from the MM is a little burnt but not bad. I don't think its going to be hard to modify to stop this and it would be fine for ribs since it didn't start burning until atleast 3 hours in. Also took pics of the lump left over after 6 hours at 300. @RRP sorry plate setter pic here.
  • Lit
    Options

I haven't cooked with the KJ set up in it yet but it looks much more promising. I wanted to give the PS a shot first.

• Gogogordy
    Options
    So with these modifications will these will be known Big Green Joes, or Kamado Maxes? :P
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Gogogordy said:
    So with these modifications will these will be known Big Green Joes, or Kamado Maxes? :P

I still like FrankenEgg. Lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Gogogordy
    Options
    Credit where credit is due.....
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Really appreciate this informative thread.  Thanks for your time and effort.

If you could, how much room was there left in the dome area with the pork shoulder on the MM?  Would it be possible to use a v-rack and put the shoulder on that to raise it away from the platesetter?

Thanks again!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Lit said:

I haven't cooked with the KJ set up in it yet but it looks much more promising. I wanted to give the PS a shot first.

Wow, I thought the first gen PS on the XL sucked...legs are even shorter on the Mini Max
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Lit
    Options
    @YEMTrey‌ there was atleast 2" because I left the thermometer in and it wasn't hitting. I would say best bet would be to find a 2-3" drip pan to sit on the plate setter and put the grate on top of that. If you could find the perfect v rack it could work but it'll be tough. I posted pics of the KJ deflector in it on another thread and its much better. I can put a small 1" notch in each of the existing so the KJ deflector drops to felt level and it should be about perfect.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I think we can all say Lit should be called "Wild Thing" to conflate King Max from Where The Wild Things Are and the Mini Max.

This is greatness.
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
    @Lit‌ did you think that the MM came up to temp much quicker than other Eggs?? I did, tonight Max got her maiden voyage.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Great review Lit.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Thanks for the review @lit

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • deekortiz3
    Options
    @lit - Apologizes if I missed it in another thread but could you take a few pictures showing the KJ indirect set-up in the MM. Thanks!
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I purposely didn't by the plate setter for my small because I was going to go with woo set up. I'm curious if I should bypass woo/stone set up and go with KJ system for my small. Any help,with this @Lit‌ would be appreciated
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    @lit - Apologizes if I missed it in another thread but could you take a few pictures showing the KJ indirect set-up in the MM. Thanks!

Plus +1.... Thanks for this post. My hold up is a ready Woo with a way to hang a stone from Tom.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Gogogordy
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    Based on this review, the KJ appears to be a better unit. I also understand that it is less expensive and readily available. I'm not in the market for either because I'm very happy with my small.

"Better" is a big, decisive word that probably doesn't need to be used here. I don't own a MiniMax. I have a KJ Jr. The KJ Jr. Is certainly worth anyone's consideration and not a me-too, or "almost as good as..." product by any stretch. It stands on its own merits, and like anything else has it's own strengths, and weaknesses (I really haven't encountered a weakness yet save for the much discussed lack of a screen door which isn't a problem. For me. ) I can say it's definitely a compelling value, well made....well warranted and cooks as well as any other Kamado in my fleet (maybe it's the operator?) including my Med BGE. So, my advice to anyone on the fence between the two is to follow the reviews on both (jury still out on the MM) see them both for yourself and pick the one that floats your boat.
  • Lit
    Options
    Pic of my dinner last night. Chopped some of a shoulder and added some red onions, yellow and orange peppers, blues hog, and queso cheese. Arrogant bbastard to wash it down. Also some pics of the KJ in the MM. I want to point out again teh MM grate does not work with the KJ deflector the grates do not line up and one end ends up inside the 3rd stabilizer bar. The last pic is the BGE grate not fitting. Also if you look there are 2 levels of raised direct you can do with the KJ deflector 1 with the legs in the notches and one with the legs on the fire ring. I am also going to make 3 notches in the existing ones so the legs can sit down lower for indirect and the grate will be at the felt level and I won't look that dome space.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Gogogordy said:

Hi54putty said:

Based on this review, the KJ appears to be a better unit. I also understand that it is less expensive and readily available.

I'm not in the market for either because I'm very happy with my small.

"Better" is a big, decisive word that probably doesn't need to be used here. I don't own a MiniMax. I have a KJ Jr. The KJ Jr. Is certainly worth anyone's consideration and not a me-too, or "almost as good as..." product by any stretch. It stands on its own merits, and like anything else has it's own strengths, and weaknesses (I really haven't encountered a weakness yet save for the much discussed lack of a screen door which isn't a problem. For me. ) I can say it's definitely a compelling value, well made....well warranted and cooks as well as any other Kamado in my fleet (maybe it's the operator?) including my Med BGE. So, my advice to anyone on the fence between the two is to follow the reviews on both (jury still out on the MM) see them both for yourself and pick the one that floats your boat.

---------------
    I said it "appears to be better." That's my opinion. The great reviews of it, including yours, and the poor design of the MM indirect set up I have seen in person lead me to that conclusion. Thanks for the scolding but I understand the meaning of the word "better" and will stick with that. I certainly understand if you have a different opinion.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Lit
    Options
    @lowflyer yes the MM came to temp really fast. Even with the platesetter in earlier than I normally would have added it it came to temp like there was no platesetter. Gonna be great for week night grilling.
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
    @Lit‌, where would one purchase the KJ jr indirect set up?  Would the small woo stone work with it, or does it need to be purchased as well?
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    the Jr's stone is 10"; which is the same as the small woo stone. I think @lit mentioned that the indirect system could be purchased at a Kamado Joe dealer. Ace hardware is a dealer and they can get you set up. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Hate to say this, but I have been wanting a portable unit to take on vacations and trips.  This really tells me the KJ is the better option and doesn't hit the wallet as hard either.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Lit
    Options
    Yeah the KJ website lists dealers. I called an ace on their site and it was $39 for the deflector and $36 for the grate. My KJ came with the stone so it might be part of the deflector package but I didn't ask.
  • Whirly
    Whirly Posts: 30
    Options
    All interesting info. Not willing to risk lead and cadmium issues. Next one will be Minimax.
  • GATABITES
    edited November 2014
    Options

@whirly - Dude: Can you PROVE this statement to be true? This is the most asinine comment ive read regarding Kamado Joe. I will be the first to say "I stand corrected" if this statement is documented as a fact. 
    I await your response as I love to read fact based opinions. 

thanks 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Lit
    Options
    Its funny all the crap I have heard about KJ. I mentioned KJ junior at the BGE dealer I bought my mini from and before I could tell him I had one he started telling me all sorts of negatives about the KJ. The best was that it can't get hot enough to sear on. I didn't have the heart to tell him I had one and it gets just as hot as any other kamado with adequate air flow.
  • GATABITES
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I told my dealer I bought a JR and the first thing he said was, "it wont last you more than 2 years!!"
    The funny thing is most negative comments are un-informed and based on the ideology that BGE is far SUPREME to and other cooker on the planet. How dare we contradict that on this forum. 

LOL  
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • badinfluence
    Options
    Neither here nor there BUT everyone seems to forget what market the MM is really intended for. There market is for chefs using them in there kitchens who wanted a counter top grill with a larger cooking area then the mini. I don't think they were really targeting the low and slow guys with the MM. It was also for tailgating which how many show up 10 hours early thinking they want to do a brisket?

I think they hit there target market with the MM as a GRILL and not a smoker.

Oh yeah I'm still going to buy mine when it comes in.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa