Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock in fridge 24 hrs, high in dome and skin STILL not crispy?

Options
2»

Comments

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Many suggestions . . .but I agree with @phatchris & @smokybear . . . go with BONE DRY SKIN for crispy skin.  Rest uncovered in fridge trick is great, just avoid butter/oil . . . so one minor tweak . . let us know. 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

I can't speak to drying in the fridge, because I hate raw chicken and I don't want to unwrap it, dry it, and stick it in the fridge (bonus points for identifying a song lyric)

the skin won't crisp until the bird is up to temp and the fat has rendered.  I give the skin a light brush of oil and a generous sprinkling of kosher salt and roast indirect until done.  Another method along the lines of @sgh 's nuclear method is to roast indirect or raised direct at 350 until you're meat is almost done; if the skin isn't crisping and you're impatient, pull the plate setter or drop the grid and put skin side down with some weight on it.  Watch closely, though, or you'll torch the bird, and if you do this don't use any rub with sugar. Sort of like a reverse seared spatchcock.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    @Dekade‌ I think those had a fairly heavy coating of Tony Chacheres original creole seasoning. Lately, I've been using a lighter coat of that plus some BGE whirlybird, because the first is pretty spicy.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Dekade
    Dekade Posts: 52
    Options
    @Terrebandit Thanks for the input. I do also have the Tony Chacheres original creole seasoning. The pictures just looked great and so ready to eat!!! I have been reading up on the forum for crispy skin. Will be trying to achieve it next week. Haven't had any luck since I got the LBGE 7 years ago. Now I'm focusing on some quality cooking.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    @Dekade‌ I never sauce mine. Cook them indirect around 350 degrees. If you can get the bird high in the dome, it will be even better. Just dry off the skin with paper towels before you apply the Tonys.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Dekade
    Dekade Posts: 52
    Options
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    a light dusting of corn starch with your rub will always do the trick. It does not add any flavor, just try not to over do it or it can clump up. if you put too much a quick shot a spray olive oil will balance it out. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    @blind99‌ I give up.
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

@blind99‌ I give up.

@Central_Bama_Egger‌ no, never! You'll find a way that works for you. We've all got different takes on it - cornstarch, refrigerating, direct, indirect - there's no one right way
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle