Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rib roast technical question

Options
I am reading my standing rib roast recipe that I have been using since 2002.  It is amazing!  I didn't get my XL BGE until this calendar year so I want to cook it on there for Xmas.  My recipe calls for a room temp rib roast put into a 500 oven.  The time is 5min per lb roasting at 500 degrees.  It says to be as accurate as possible.  Meaning, if your roast is 5.53lbs X 5min per lb you are 27.65 or 28 minutes.  At the end of 28 minutes you turn the oven off and leave the roast in the oven for 2 hours without opening the door. 
Every year my wife and I argue about the smoke in the house and that is probably part of the tradition! 
I would like to use this method outside on the egg.  However, the egg really holds heat well so i'm wondering if it would work or if i would have a leather shoe after 2 hours.  What do you guys think?  Would the egg cool down at the same rate as an oven or should I just cook a rib roast the more conventional way for the egg?  Meaning slow roast reverse sear or steady medium range temp.

Thanks in advance!

Chester, MD

Comments

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I have a favorite rib end roast recipe as well and the original directions was not all that unlike of yours. After trial and error of several ways, I found cooking at a lower temp of 300-325 followed by a bump to about 475 about 30 degrees from target temp worked best for me.  I also do not let the meat come to room temp.  I pull it out about 45 mins before going in the egg, but I am not sure that is even necessary.
    I failed miserably at trying to reproduce the oven directions on the egg. The meat was not ruined, but nothing like I can reproduce now.

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    DIAD,

I cooked a rib roast this way last year and it was really good. Thankfully I used a maverick thermo and pulled at desired internal temp at 1:50 hrs. So the egg seems to hold heat better than the oven. Also let the roast 'room temp' for 40 minutes.

;
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• jeroldharter
    Options
    It sounds like the recipe is a reverse sear in reverse. On the egg, just do a reverse sear. 
    The "2 hours" in the oven with the heat off is a wild card. How fast does heat dissipate from an oven? I guess with a lot of variation. That is an expensive piece of meat so I would reverse sear.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I would jusr cook it based on the internal temperature rather than time.

You could still use the same method, but I would not close down the egg cometely. Just adjust the vents to drop the temp. It is basically this one:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxprimerib.htm

I am partial to the reverse sear as well though.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    +1 on Always cook to temp, not time. too many variables. Use the time as a very loose guideline. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    The method outlined is an oven sear, those that like a crust on a roast tend to prefer it. You don't have to mess with trying to flip a five or six rib roast to sear it. I think you are right about the egg holding heat and running much hotter than many ovens for the cool down - course depends on where you live and the outside temperature. 

Rib roasts, bones removed, done low and slow with a reverse sear are the way to go, IMHO. Cook at 225º until about 10º less than target temp then rest on a rack with foil tent while the egg goes nuclear, then sear. If it is just for us, not bark/crust lovers, I just cook to target pull and serve. 

Suggest this as a good read:
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!