Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First attempt at bacon and s'mores with a twist

Options
Smoked my first home made bacon yesterday. Three pound pork belly cured in the fridge for 6 days then soaked out for a day. Cooked under HEAVY hickory and apple smoke for almost 4 hrs at grid from 175 -190 until 15 IT. Sliced up this afternoon after a night in the fridge. Is very smoky before frying, I would probably do less smoke next time. Fried up the little end pieces tonight for turkey burgers (not pictured, but I swear it happened ;) ) It was better after fried, but still pretty smokey.

If I'm going to do this a lot, I'm either going to invest in a slicer or have to get a lot better with a knife.

The s'mores were ice cream cone s'mores. We made 2 with Butterfinger rather than Hershey's and 2 with Hershey's but added a caramel square to the bottom. All were very good.

Bacon recipe here (I changed the spices some): http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/10/lynnes-breakfast-bacon.html

S'mores from the BGE homepageimageimage

Comments

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited November 2014
    Options

That's intriguing, your bacon.  I'm trying to build up the courage to do the same.

(Be careful re: slicers.  Those things are treacherous - even when the blade isn't moving!  I do not exaggerate, I promise.)

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Sardonicus‌ It was a process, but I enjoy the process. I figure worst thing I wasted $12 and some lump. If I had it to do again, I'd definitely lay off some of the smoke. A lot of folks wished for more smoke on their bacon so I went overboard. Also, slicing is a choir, but I have crappy knives. They're on the list for santa.

Hormel or Oscar Meyer it ain't, but it's still tasty and I made it. B-)
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    I did my first bacon smoke last weekend and immediately ordered another 12 lbs. of pork belly from a local farm. 

It is incredible.

Yours looks much darker than mine, probably due to the heavy smoke - I did Apple and thought it could use a bit more, but after seeing yours I might just hold at the 4 large chunks I used.

I was able to do a nice thick cut by hand with a very sharp slicer. The key was keeping as little of the blade as possible in contact with the meat, basically dragging the tip thru the meat, to reduce friction as much as possible.

I think I'll try bacon IN my smores next time.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    good job on the bacon smores look good to 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Oh man, I was expecting bacon smores!  The yolk's on me!

Looks good man!
    Bacon smores would be awesome. I admit I didn't think of it till that crazy tarheel mentioned it. Thanks to all for the kind words, but my bacon needs some work.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Did you add nitrite in the cure?
    Yes the cure was fine, but I overdid the smoke and I think I overcooked on the egg. I don't have a thermopen or the like yet and I had a hard time finding a good place for the maverick probe in meat not fat. It's not bad, just not really good. At this point, I still like store bought better. Oh well, live and learn, this was a practice run. I'll try it again because I hate to "fail."
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Ah, that explains the color.  Hey, you're doing great - I had a pancetta with mold on the inside once.  Keep making stuff and tune your process!  Good work!
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dawnl
    Dawnl Posts: 252
    Options
    Awesome looking bacon!
    Ottawa Valley, Ontario
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options

Ah, that explains the color.  Hey, you're doing great - I had a pancetta with mold on the inside once.  Keep making stuff and tune your process!  Good work!

@nolaegghead‌ - I assume it is because there was air inside? do you know what happened? Not rolled tight enough? I am going to start one batch soon and I'd be pissed if there was mold inside...

Options
    It looks like you did a good slicing job! You don't really need high end knifes... I use Victorinox Fibrox and Sanelli. The Sanelli are a little more expensive than the Victorinox but I prefer their handle. One of the best investment I made is the Work Sharp Ken Onion sharpener. Super easy to use even if you don't have a steady hand. You would not believe how sharp your knifes can be.

@nolaegghead‌ Thanks, luckily I enjoy the process and the challenge to get better.

@dawnl I just wish it tasted as good as it looks in the pic :))

@sgh thanks my friend

@paqman I'm going to put some Victorinox on the Christmas list and that sharpener gets a lot of good press here on the forum.

Anyone have any thoughts on maybe soaking the bacon to reduce the smokiness?
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    Looks terrific!  I've got about 12 lbs of BB bacon curing in my fridge, gonna smoke em up this weekend.  I generally go a bit light on bacon, 2-3 chunks of apple or cherry is enough for me.  Solid bacon, bub!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    paqman said:
    @nolaegghead‌ - I assume it is because there was air inside? do you know what happened? Not rolled tight enough? I am going to start one batch soon and I'd be pissed if there was mold inside...
    @paqman - precisely.  Air pockets create humid petri dishes for mold. 
    Options
    @theyolksonyou did you slice the bacon while it was hot or did you chill it a while before slicing?  It is much easier to slice after putting it in the freezer for a little while.

I have a Victorinox carving knife that I use for slicing my bacon and it works great.  I actually bought a slicer but returned it.  It was more trouble than just slicing by hand for me.
    Guns Up! Roll Tide!