Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanksgiving dinner, Egg or not.

Options
So, I'm curious, how many cook their Thanksgiving bird on the Egg and how many use something else, whether that be the oven, turkey fryer, etc?

I know my main bird will go in the oven stuffed.  I'm debating if I want to fire up the egg and cook some extra turkey wings and thighs, or just add the extra appendages to the roasting bag.
Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
 and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Egg here...in fact 12 out of the last 14 years...only reason not 14 was we were invited out!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My oven hasn't worked properly in 3 years. Why would I want to fix it? Anything that could go in the oven goes into the egg. Especially turkey!!! Hard to beat a spatchcocked turkey from a egg
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • sodigthisbigcrux
    Options
    absolutely...wife insists, not that I put up a fight. Also do Christmas Ham or Prime Rib on it.
    Battle Ground, WA
    Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
    Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Egg for sure!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • BobsBGE
    Options
    Egg here also.  I'll overnight a pork butt and then do a spatchcock turkey Thanksgiving morning.  A second turkey will go on while we eat (my daughters boyfriend's family will get a special treat too).
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Spatchcock turkey is the best, and forget about brining and cooking for hours - excellent!!!  No reason to do it any other way. 
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,843
    Options
    Egg for the first time last year. Will do it that way every year I can. Unfortunately, I can't do it this year as we will be somewhere else.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    I'll egg the ham and if we do a turkey breast it will be egged too. May even egg the dressing but only if the wife runs behind in the kitchen.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Eggbertsdad
    Options
    Egg here. I use Emeril's turkey brine (citrus, herbs, etc) and cook on the Egg. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina‌ gets banned for cussing, and you just admitted to bypassing the egg for the oven. On the most sacred cooking day!?? YOU SHOULD BE BANNED.

HERESY.

Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I'm egging here.  I'm returning to Mad Max's recipe.  I spatched the bird last year.  It was good, but I missed Mad Max's gravy.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    I'm deep frying mine.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

I'm deep frying mine.

On the egg?

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    First year with an egg. My mother always hosts the extended family. She ate on meal I egged and requested I cook the turkey. We'll see. Test run this week end.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Egg all the way. Family insists after the past two years.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

First year with an egg. My mother always hosts the extended family. She ate on meal I egged and requested I cook the turkey. We'll see. Test run this week end.

@theyolksonyou‌ I'm also planning to egg a turkey this weekend. How are you doing yours?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Spatch on the egg. Brined.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited November 2014
    Options
    We have had our thanksgiving already but I have a pretty good stuffing recipe and method to go along with Max's turkey. I'll try and get it posted on the weekend.
    Found it I think
    (http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=187&func=view&catid=1&id=523235#523235)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @blind99‌ brindled and roasted in rib rack in a foil pan. We'll see.
  • bdub60
    bdub60 Posts: 31
    Options
    I'd like to do a really great ham on my egg this year to wow the in-laws (plus I'm just not a turkey fan).  Not looking to do a raw and cure and all that but just take a spiral cut ham and jazz it up on the egg.  Anyone got a go-to recipe they'd be willing to share?
    Guns Up! Roll Tide!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited November 2014
    Options
    bdub60 said:
    I'd like to do a really great ham on my egg this year to wow the in-laws (plus I'm just not a turkey fan).  Not looking to do a raw and cure and all that but just take a spiral cut ham and jazz it up on the egg.  Anyone got a go-to recipe they'd be willing to share?
    Won't work with a spiral cut ham but egret's maple bourbon ham is the bomb
    egret Posts: 4,000
    Here ya' go:

Maple-Bourbon Ham
    by John Hall (egret)

Ingredients :

Maple-Bourbon Paste (recipe follows)
    10-12 # cooked, ready to eat Ham (bone-in Butt or Shank section)
    1/2-1 cup Maple Syrup
    Cherry and Apple Chunks

Preparation :

The day before smoking, place ham in a pan flat side down. Inject in multiple locations with maple syrup (use more than 1 cup if it will take it).
    Smear the Maple-Bourbon Paste all over the exposed surfaces (except flat side). Cover loosely with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator until ready to smoke (You can remove ham from refrigerator up to one hour before cooking).
    Stabilize egg at 250° F. with plate setter (legs up) regular grid with raised grid attached. Put 3 or 4 good size chunks of wood on coals, then place ham on raised grid. Cook until internal temperature reaches 140° F. (this should take about 5 hours).

Maple-Bourbon Paste

2 Tbls. pure Maple Syrup
    2 Tbls. freshly ground Black Pepper
    2 Tbls. Dijon or Honey-Dijon Mustard
    1 Tbls. Bourbon
    1 Tbls. Vegetable Oil
    1 Tbls. Paprika
    1 Tbls. Onion Powder
    2 tsp. coarse Salt, either kosher or sea salt

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Dad's XL. Won't spatchcock because there is no difference in quality and it ruins the presentation since we carve tableside. I use a modified Mad Max recipe.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

I'm pissed. 

Well, not really but.......

I would LOVE to do a turkey but will be in San Diego for Thanksgiving (gasser) and Columbus for Christmas (Weber). 

New Albany, Ohio 

• GaryLange
    Options
    Since I got the Egg I have done my Turkey on it. It goes in a Brine for 24 hours then rinsed off and rubbed with some Turkey Spices then on the egg at 350 degrees until the breast is 155 and the thigh is 175 degrees. Then into the cooler to rest at which time the temps will rise that xtra five or so degrees. Nice and juicy and tender. Before that used a Nesko Roaster on the counter which did a great job on the bird also but not as good as the Egg.
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    Where's @egret‌ been??
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    bdub60 said:
    Won't work with a spiral cut ham but egret's maple bourbon ham is the bomb
    egret Posts: 4,000
    Here ya' go:

Maple-Bourbon Ham
    by John Hall (egret)

Ingredients :

Maple-Bourbon Paste (recipe follows)
    10-12 # cooked, ready to eat Ham (bone-in Butt or Shank section)
    1/2-1 cup Maple Syrup
    Cherry and Apple Chunks

Preparation :

The day before smoking, place ham in a pan flat side down. Inject in multiple locations with maple syrup (use more than 1 cup if it will take it).
    Smear the Maple-Bourbon Paste all over the exposed surfaces (except flat side). Cover loosely with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator until ready to smoke (You can remove ham from refrigerator up to one hour before cooking).
    Stabilize egg at 250° F. with plate setter (legs up) regular grid with raised grid attached. Put 3 or 4 good size chunks of wood on coals, then place ham on raised grid. Cook until internal temperature reaches 140° F. (this should take about 5 hours).

Maple-Bourbon Paste

2 Tbls. pure Maple Syrup
    2 Tbls. freshly ground Black Pepper
    2 Tbls. Dijon or Honey-Dijon Mustard
    1 Tbls. Bourbon
    1 Tbls. Vegetable Oil
    1 Tbls. Paprika
    1 Tbls. Onion Powder
    2 tsp. coarse Salt, either kosher or sea salt

+1 on Egrets Ham recipe. I've made it many times and it is always a crowd pleaser! I agree about not using a spiral cut ham but I have heard of people painstakingly smeared the syrup in the spiral cuts with a thin spatula!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    Egg here too, since the first one a few years back I'm hooked. Christmas and Thanksgiving always have birds from the egg.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • NervousDad
    Options
    I'll be the odd one out here, Turkey is delicious the egg, but there is just too much going on during the cook to keep an eye on the egg and what's going on in the kitchen.
    Aurora,OH
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Egg here. I use Emeril's turkey brine (citrus, herbs, etc) and cook on the Egg. 
    I tried Emeril's brine one year, came out way too salty.  I could handle it, but my wife stopped eating hers.  I then compared Emeril's recipe to other brining recipes and Emeril uses like twice the salt of most of the brine recipes I found with google.  I gave up on brining, I like my bird stuffed & cooked in a Reynold's roasting bag.  It's never dry, my stuffing comes out moist (the way I like it).  I just wish there was less white meat and more dark meat, so that is why I'm thinking of buying a smaller bird and then cooking up extra dark meat chunks.

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    @JohnInCarolina‌ gets banned for cussing, and you just admitted to bypassing the egg for the oven. On the most sacred cooking day!?? YOU SHOULD BE BANNED. HERESY.
    You want me banned, take it up with a moderator.