Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anova Sous Vide for $140 tomorrow

Options
Amazon is going to run a sale tomorrow on these.  It's a great unit for the money in my opinion.

Comments

• ChicagoEgghead20
    Options
    @cowdogs - looks like a good price! I'm not sure if want one of these or the whole unit, any ideas of the pros/cons?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    They are good units.  If yours breaks don't take it apart, just send it back for exchange.  Yes, I have one that's disassembled, and that was within 120 minutes of opening the box.  Good thing I have three other SV units. 
    Options
    @cowdogs - looks like a good price! I'm not sure if want one of these or the whole unit, any ideas of the pros/cons?
    Not sure what the "whole unit" is...
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Cowdogs said:
    Not sure what the "whole unit" is...
    I think he meant these?
    canuckland
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Ohh...  

Well the big advantage of the Anova is it can be clipped on many different sized containers.  And all these containers can be items that serve other useful purposes.  I use coolers much larger than the Sous Vide Supreme.  But when I don't need the space, I'll use smaller coolers or my spaghetti pot.

I just don't want another countertop appliance.  I put the Anova away in a drawer.  But in the end both units cook the same.  Its just circulating hot water at a precise temp.  My Anova is accurate to within 3/10 of a degree as compared to my thermapen.

• Canugghead
    edited November 2014
    Options
    @chicagoegghead20 - google and you'll find more about the pros and cons of each system, here are a couple:
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    For anyone interested, the sale is on for four hours in the morning only, what their promotion email says:
    At 7:00AM CST, Amazon will be featuring the Anova One as their "Gold Box Deal." For four hours only, people will get a chance to buy the best sous vide machine in the world for $60 off the purchase price. Here are the deets:
    • The sale begins at 7:00AM CST for "Amazon Prime" members
    • The sale begins at 7:30AM CST for regular Amazon customers
    • The sale will end at 11:00AM CST
    • Did we mention the Anova One is on sale for $60 off the regular purchase price?
    To check out the deal on Amazon, click here. But remember, the deal starts at7AM / 7:30AM CST.
    canuckland
  • ChicagoEgghead20
    Options
    @chicagoegghead20 - google and you'll find more about the pros and cons of each system, here are a couple:
    Thank you! That helps. 
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    How long does it take to cook a steak?
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Darn. Too Late. Waitlisted!

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • Canugghead
    Options
    There may be another sale on Black Friday? not that I need another one!
    canuckland
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    @Cowdogs How did you hear about it in advance? Do they publish a list of upcoming sales?

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • ShadowNick
    Options
    100% claimed :(
    Pentwater, MI
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have both the Anova and the Sous Vide supreme. I love them both but I can't say enough good stuff about the Anova at that price. I think I heard they have a gen 2 coming out and that's why they are discounting these but this is an awesome unit for $140. I just kept 45 gallons of water hot for 3 hours at a catering deal we did last weekend with this one Anova unit. I did prime the cooler with hot water but this unit kept it perfectly hot for hours. If you want to dip your toe in the SV pool, this is a great place to start.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ShadowNick
    Options
    I'm on the waitlist now, see if someone cancels their order.
    Pentwater, MI
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    kdink said:
    depends on the thickness but a normal fat ribeye can be done in an hour or so. I think I did 2 hrs on my last one. FWIW, steaks are fun to do but my least favorite SV cook. I just prefer them grilled. Burgers are pretty crazy. You can do a med rare bloody burger that is perfectly safe to eat. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    kdink said:
    depends on the thickness but a normal fat ribeye can be done in an hour or so. I think I did 2 hrs on my last one. FWIW, steaks are fun to do but my least favorite SV cook. I just prefer them grilled. Burgers are pretty crazy. You can do a med rare bloody burger that is perfectly safe to eat. 
    And if you deep fry the burger for 30-40 seconds after the sous vide, it takes burgers to another level entirely. (Thanks to MCAH) 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Canugghead
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Deep fried sv burger sounds good, have to try that.
    My favourite is egg, and chuck (blade) roast sv for 48 hours around mid 130'ish.
    They just started shipping Anova Two from Kickstarter, pledged two units at $129 each, free shipping (normal shipping to GWN is $75!), woohoo!

Edit:
    Just received shipping/tracking info for the first unit in Black.  The Red one has to wait a month due to production delay.
    canuckland
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Deep fried sv burger sounds good, have to try that.
    My favourite is egg, and chuck (blade) roast sv for 48 hours around mid 130'ish.
    They just started shipping Anova Two from Kickstarter, pledged two units at $129 each, free shipping (normal shipping to GWN is $75!), woohoo!

Edit:
    Just received shipping/tracking info for the first unit in Black.  The Red one has to wait a month due to production delay.
    That was a great deal shipped...Sucks about backorder on red.
    Their office is only 20 minutes from my office in Houston but they want nothing to do with someone walking in the door. lol
    Customer service is great if you catch them by phone but it normally takes 12 calls not to get voice mail...never had them return email or voice mail.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Yes Darian, some of us got in at the 2nd cheapest band.  They did offer buyers to switch from red/white to black if they can't wait.
    The shipping notice came from shipstation dot com, guess they have the volume to justify third party shipper for efficiency and couldn't be bothered with walk-in's !
    canuckland
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    My Anova 2 is on the way via FedEx, due to be delivered tomorrow. I will be gone for the weekend, so will need to wait until Monday to check it out.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @DMW - Nice! you must have ordered black I suppose, looks like ours shipped at the same time by Fedex international economy, with GWN eta of Nov 10.
    canuckland
  • DMW
    Options
    @Canugghead - Correct, I ordered a black one. I'm a huge fan of soft-boiled eggs, I'm sure that will be my first cook with it.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    @DMW - Nice! you must have ordered black I suppose, looks like ours shipped at the same time by Fedex international economy, with GWN eta of Nov 10.

Gary, let me know what you think of the version 2 model.  We love our version 1.  Vegetables are fantastic when done SV.  We now have a new found appreciation of beets!

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    DMW said:
    @Canugghead - Correct, I ordered a black one. I'm a huge fan of soft-boiled eggs, I'm sure that will be my first cook with it.

you will be in heaven. Eggs are one of the coolest SV tricks. You can pour them out of the shells but they stay together. They are like a custard texture. Velvety and delicious.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited November 2014
    Options
    DMW said:

I have one of the SV Supreme cookers and it did soft boiled eggs very well.
    The first time I used my Anova it was in a smaller pot and the eggs came out bad. The whites were a mess and never really set up at all although the yokes were perfect. I think it was because of the water agitation that I did not get with the SV Supreme. Even cracked one of the shells. This thing does move some water...
    The next time I put the eggs into ZipLoc bag and clipped them to the side of the pot so they would not roll around on the bottom of the pot and they came out nice. For what it's worth.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DMW
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    DMW said:

I have one of the SV Supreme cookers and it did soft boiled eggs very well.
    The first time I used my Anova it was in a smaller pot and the eggs came out bad. The whites were a mess and never really set up at all although the yokes were perfect. I think it was because of the water agitation that I did not get with the SV Supreme. Even cracked one of the shells. This thing does move some water...
    The next time I put the eggs into ZipLoc bag and clipped them to the side of the pot so they would not roll around on the bottom of the pot and they came out nice. For what it's worth.
    Thanks for the tip!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited November 2014
    Options
    @Cowdogs How did you hear about it in advance? Do they publish a list of upcoming sales?

@CarolinaCrazy I think it is because I have purchased one from Anova before.  I actually have 2 of them.  I am also an Amazon Prime member, but I don't think that was it.  It may seem odd they would email people that already own them, but people do buy more than one.  

Veggies cook at a much higher temp than meat ... up around 180-190F.  And since the cook times are so long it helps to be able to do 2 cooks at the same time.

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    DMW said:

Like CT says - the texture is unreal. SWMBO has become a believer, she makes the best devilled eggs and the Trés Booblay results in perfect eggs every time, no overcooking, no cracked shells. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Canugghead
    Options

The Cen-Tex Smoker - after some trial-n-errors, I settled on cracking sv egg open like a raw egg.

Photo Egg - thanks for the tip, my DIY sv setup uses a powerful submerged Penguin 550 aquarium powerhead. I turn the jet stream away from the eggs but sometimes they still rattle a bit until trapped in a corner. The yolks come out great consistently but occasionally the whites are a tad too runny.  Next time I'll try the ziploc trick. Also, with the Anova I sure don't want cracked fresh egg(s) in the pool!

@Skiddymarker - does she use the deviled egg recipe in MCAH?
    canuckland