Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table rebuild.

Comments

• Looking good.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    First coat complete.
    imageimageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    I know some of you probably have noticed but are to kind to say it, so let me break the ice. My table is not looking to great at all. May have have to start over.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Why do you say that?  It's got a terrific rustic look.  I wanted to mention the cover.  I had my egg under a 10' canopy until recently.  I noticed once I took off the canopy cover, the egg was explosed to open air completely.  Once that happened, my vent settings were WAY different from what they were when the canopy was up.  Weird, huh?
  • SGH
    @SeahawksEGGHead‌ - You can still see some of the grease that I was unable to remove. I thought the stain may hide it but it did not. It actually enhanced it. I'm going to put a few more coats on it and see what happens. And thank you for the very kind words my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Gives it character! My table has grease, charcoal dust, and scorch marks from setting down a hot platesetter.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    Hope the grease doesn't cause an issue when you apply the top coat of poly.  Poly and grease do not get along too well.  You might want to consider sanding with a coarser grit or maybe even trying a belt sander.  If you can get down to clean wood, the top coat will last much longer.  Just a thought.

Living Large and XL

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352

Bolt on a solar panel and get a $500 gov't rebate.  Looks good enough to be the red headed step child of unit 6.  Thats all you need Brother @SGH

To be the man, you gotta....

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    @thetrim‌
    Beat the man ;)

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @lilwooty‌
    The grease is very deep in the wood. I sanded to the point that I have low spots in the wood. I think there are spots that it's all the way through. If I would have kept sanding I woukdnt have any table left!! It was in rough shape my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    You could sand it down to remove the grease if you want it to look new again.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SGH
    @Ladeback69‌
    Brother I tried. I sanded to the point that I have low spots in the wood. The grease is very, very deep. Now that I have the 2nd coat on it looks a little better.

Status- Standing by.

• When I built my table I thought it looked too polished after the first coat of stain so I took a chain, speed square and other implements of torture and beat the snot out of it. Gave it a "distressed" look. That said I think the character marks on your table look good.
  • SGH
    @theyolksonyou‌
    Thanks brother. I appreciate the kind words my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    2nd coat.

Status- Standing by.

• Looks good
    Wimberley,TX
    X-Large,Large, Medium and Small
    17" and 28" Blackstones
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    That looks great!  Now put some poly on it and start cooking.
    That looks great!  Now put some poly on it and start cooking.

I'm ready to be done with this. It's to much like work!!!!!

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    For better or for worse, here it is. I'm out of stain and out of patience.
    imageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    I love the way that looks brother! It's got some age to it and I love it!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • thetrim

Looks good, brother @SGH.  May not be the prettiest princess at the party but it serves it purpose.

Nice work

XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    @GeorgeS @thetrim‌
    Thank yall for the kind words my friends. The table had honestly seen its better day when I started this. Was just something I wanted to try as I'm no carpenter at all. I'm much better with steel products than wood. Again, thank yall.

Status- Standing by.

• I said it before and I'll say it again, Has character
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Nice job my friend, it came great. Far more patience than I would have for sure.... It serves a great purpose but I'm surprised you didn't extend it to hold more food (haha)....
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Looks heaps better than when you started.

FWIW, I would get an air gap between your paver and your egg when you re-assemble, given the dark spot on the bottom shelf.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Now just poly the crap out of it and you're dialed, I like the burns and the stains!! Especially the platesetter burn!
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • SGH
    @anton‌
    Thank you for the kind words my friend. You know the more that I look at it, the more that i like it. It's kind of like cazzy. It just grows on you after a while ;)
    All jokes aside I was really disappointed after the first coat but now that it has darkened up I think the burns and dings give it a certain character. Again thank you my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Coming along very nice @SGH

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    It looks good!  If you ever do it again, use a stain controller before you stain it.  It will even out some of the blotchiness of the pine or fir.

The good thing about it not being perfect is that you don't need to worry when it gets the next ding or scratch.

If you need to get rid of that crappy stick burner in the background, let me know and I won't charge you for hauling it away!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• thetrim
    edited November 2014
    @SGH, I am looking to build a bar top / bar height table and I'd like to use a single center cut peice of cypress.  Looking for 8-10 feet long 2-3 feet wide.  I'd like to ask anyone for some help with getting that, but for some reason I think you of all people might have some connection to a Gulf Coast milling company.

TIA
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95