Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Max arrives Nov. 2nd @ Roswell Hardware

Options

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    @JRWhitee‌ how many pound chicken is in that MM. Btw congrats
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited November 2014
    Options
    @grege345 I think it was 4.5 lbs.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Perhaps you are overthinking things as usual. I highly doubt the fire ring held this up. 
    Not "overthinking", but a good observation.  One you couldn't make although getting access to use a MM, firsthand.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Smokinpig
    Options
    Cool to see the mini maxs getting fired up. Shame to see everyone bitching at each other in this thread.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    SkinnyV said:

Carrier build quality? Rust prone?my nest handler has flaked a bit and shows some ware from the elements.

Also was there ever confirmation that cgs size small accessories will work with it.

I still have my small woo so I will check tomorrow. It will be really high with the fire ring in but it may be perfect if you take the fire ring out.
  • Lit
    Options
    So I was just playing around with set ups. The small woo fits fine and the dome will even close but its too high. With the fire ring out and woo in the fire box the grate was just above felt level which would work. The best set up by far is the KJ raised set up. It sits right in the grooves for the plate setter and the KJ grate is actually just a little bigger than the BGE so its perfect. I will take pics tomorrow but with the KJ set up its like an inch and a half above the felt line. If anyone local wants to buy a small woo and a brand new stainless grate let me know.
  • JRWhitee
    Options
    Lit said:
    So I was just playing around with set ups. The small woo fits fine and the dome will even close but its too high. With the fire ring out and woo in the fire box the grate was just above felt level which would work. The best set up by far is the KJ raised set up. It sits right in the grooves for the plate setter and the KJ grate is actually just a little bigger than the BGE so its perfect. I will take pics tomorrow but with the KJ set up its like an inch and a half above the felt line. If anyone local wants to buy a small woo and a brand new stainless grate let me know.
    I wonder if Ceramic Grill works will redesign the small woo to better fit the Mini Max.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Lit
    Options
    I'm sure they are already in process.
  • JRWhitee
    Options
    @lit I would think so, I sold my small woo and stone with the small egg.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    @Lit‌ are you saying the indirect piece from the Jr works best in the MM?

I almost ordered a custom woo made for the Jr but I passed and will continue up to use the stock system.
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Guys your thoughts for the best way to raise the grid please. Or with the taller fire grate is raising the grid needed? Also those with the Small Woo do you think it would work fine if not so tall?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Lit
    Options
    I am pretty sure you either need a raised grid or will have to use limited lump. The fire ring is still only 3" so even if you just fill the fire bowl its close. Pics below of the woo and KJ options. I forgot to take a picture of the Woo in with the fire ring out but its works but it only raises it barely above the felt line. Also need to add I said earlier the dome would close with the woo but when I did that I didn't have the grate on. When I added the grate it doesn't close. The KJ option is by far the best and even gives you 2 levels of raised and both can go indirect with the pizza stone. The KJ grate also has a flap to add wood mid cook.
  • Mickey
    Options
    @Lit what is the triangle deal? Would it work better if half as tall. And more importantly can you have room to put food on top to cook. Is the top shorter?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bbqlearner
    Options
    I believe the triangle is the KJ raised.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Lit
    Options
    @Mickey the triangle thing is the KJ heat deflector. Its like a spider woo combo where the stone goes in the hooks hanging down for indirect or just take the stone out for raised. The dome is pretty high. The dome actually closes with the woo without the grate on the fire ring so that gives you an idea of the height even out on the sides. With the KJ deflector in the lower position in the grooves of the fire ring I am pretty sure you could still get a 8-9 lb shoulder in without an issue. I am heading to costco in a minute to get a couple shoulders so I will have pics soon. I just called and the KJ set up is $39.99 and the grate is $36. The BGE grate will not work with the KJ raised set up the 3 metal prongs sticking up to hold it in place do not line up correctly. The legs on the plate setter on this thing are like an inch maybe inch and a half. I am going to take my tile cutter bit on my dremel and make the notches in the fire ring deeper so maybe I can put something on the platesetter for the grate to sit on and create some distance.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    For anybody close to North Alabama I'm in the market for a mini. If anybody close to 35055 has one they want to get rid of send me a PM and I'll give you my cell number.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    She arrives in Tampa next week for $600. I'm gonna pass for now.
    Big Thank you to the trailblazers posting so much on their new toys.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    For anybody close to North Alabama I'm in the market for a mini. If anybody close to 35055 has one they want to get rid of send me a PM and I'll give you my cell number.

You could always check craigslist. The largest dealer to have one would probably be Brooks and Collier in Huntsville. I haven't seen one around recently
  • Mickey
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:

Going to sell mine, just to far away in the middle of Texas.

• shtgunal3
    Options
    @mickey it surprises me that you would sell your mini. You've cranked out a lot of grub on that thing.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Mickey
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:

@mickey it surprises me that you would sell your mini. You've cranked out a lot of grub on that thing.

My wife as well [-(
    I sold my Small years ago but thinking the 50% extra real estate might be nice. Although I have not needed it in several years.

• shtgunal3
    Options
    I wish you were closer. I'd try to talk you out of the carten and egg too.

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    Lit said:
    I wonder if Ceramic Grill works will redesign the small woo to better fit the Mini Max.

I heard from Tom at CGS last week after I asked if a custom spider/stone setup could be made for the MiniMax.  He said he'd have to get back to me after looking at the MM at a BBQ expo (don't know date and time and maybe he was talking about EggFest)  Anyway, I want to be able to do two spatch chix and I want the CGS stone as  a separator and another stone to make pizzas at tailgate parties.

CGS will come through and they'll do so MUCH faster than BGE

Awaitin' the call to go and pick up the MM- they told me likely next week

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    I'm looking forward to firing this up!
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    I had a tough time getting the bands close enough to install the main carriage bolts. I had to bend the tabs a little to get them close enough for the nut to grab the threads. Did anyone else have this issue?

• JRWhitee
    Options
    I had a tough time getting the bands close enough to install the main carriage bolts. I had to bend the tabs a little to get them close enough for the nut to grab the threads. Did anyone else have this issue?

No, mine went together smoothly no problems at all.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    @mickey says "My wife as well  
    I sold my Small years ago but thinking the 50% extra real estate might be nice. Although I have not needed it in several years."

How much for the mini and the wife?

;)
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
    @Big_Green_Craig‌ after I flipped them over to the other side like directions said it worked out better.
  • Lit
    Options
    Mine didnt line up great but I got enough through to get the nut on it then used a wrench the rest of the way. It was really easy overall took about 45 minutes.