Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Scallops Wrapped in Bacon

Wise One
Wise One Posts: 2,645
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to try doing some bacon-wrapped scallops on the egg. I'm concerned that to get the bacon crisp the scallop will be over done and to get the scallop done right, the bacon will be under-cooked. Any ideas as to temperaturs, set-up or any other things I should try. Right now my plan is to cook it at a fairly high temp (600 or so) just long enough to get the bacon crispy. Will it work?

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Wise One:[p]I would cook the bacon in a pan on the stove about half way done and still limp. Then I would wrap the scallops with the bacon and cook on the BGE at 425º to 450º till done. Remember to soak your tooth picks for about an hour prior to using.

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Wise One,[p]I haven't tried this, but how about precooking the bacon until it's close to done - still soft enough to wrap around the scallops? [p]Cathy
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    djm5x9,[p]I seem to be in echo mode today...[p]Cathy
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Cat:[p]Maybe so . . . Happens to me at times too. But your delivery is smoother!
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Wise One,[p]Darryl steers you right. I precook the bacon in a microwave (less curling than a pan), rendering it on paper towels until it just starts to look like it is drying out. It should be limber but firm. I sprinkle the exposed ends of the scallop with a favored rub and then lightly coat them with either unsalted melted butter or the rendered bacon fat. I cook direct on a fish grill at 450F for 2 minutes per side.[p]The scallop will be a tasty sear on the ends and a nice tenderness in the middle. The bacon will be cooked to chewy.[p]I can obtain fresh scallops. These are 1.25-1.5+" in diameter and at least 1" thick. You may have to adjust timing for the size you use.[p]Spin[p][p]

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Spin, well, it seems that you, Cat and djm5x9 all agree. Precook the bacon and then cook. This ought to work perfectly as I can quickly cook these while on my way to 700 for steaks and then enjoy these as appetizers while waiting for the steaks to cook and dwell. As gfw would say, "life is good". I'll let you know how they turn out.

• Wise One, I have done these at least 6 times and do not pre-cook the bacon. Temp around 400 and put them in a grill basket and turn often. The bacon insulates the scallop from the heat. When the bacon is done , so is the scallop. I also marinate the scallops overnite in Mrs.Dogs jerk marinade. [p]Mark