Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much do you pay for pork belly?

Options
stv8r
stv8r Posts: 1,127
I've recently been inspired to make my own bacon by a few threads, but finding pork belly in my area is proving difficult.  Even my favorite butcher does not carry it as they said they'd have to buy it 50lbs at a time.  I finally found the Wegmans has it but it is $11.99/lb?  Wow....I was hoping to save a buck by smoking and curing my own? (I live in MD btw so I can draw from Baltimore/D.C. You wouldn't think it was so hard lol)

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I've seen it on sale here for under three bucks a pound.

They'll gouge you if there isn't demand.  Look at how much bacon (which costs more because of the processing) costs - much, much less than $11.99/lb.
    Options
    I got 2 lbs for about $4.89 a lb.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Little Steven
    Options
    Go to an Oriental market if you can. I'm paying 2.19 Cdn right now and that is way up from a year ago. They go through a ton of it so don't worry about freshness.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stv8r
    Options
    Exactly....that's why I haven't made the purchase.  I felt as if Wegman's was trying to gouge me.
  • stv8r
    Options
    Go to an Oriental market if you can. I'm paying 2.19 Cdn right now and that is way up from a year ago. They go through a ton of it so don't worry about freshness.
    hmm have to look for one of those
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    I get nice 2# pieces at my local asian mkt for $2.29 a pound. Mind you I live in Pork country.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Just bought 30 lbs for $2.72 / lb. This is up from my first batch in the spring which I paid $ 2.00/lb
  • stv8r
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    Just bought 30 lbs for $2.72 / lb. This is up from my first batch in the spring which I paid $ 2.00/lb
    Wow..just shows how much Wegmans wants to rip me off!  Thanks Brother.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I found it at an Asian market, but never anywhere else. And it had a BONE in it. First and last time I made my own bacon. Tasted great, but no better than Oscar Mayer. Definitely not worth the effort. Don't remember the price, but I'll never do it again anyway. In total, I think it cost about the same as store bought.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    Yeah eh? I don't think the porcine virus has even hit here but we're getting hosed as though it has. Same deal with beef.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Expensive here in Seattle close to $5 lb if I remember right.
    Seattle, WA
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    stv8r said:
    hondabbq said:

Just to be clear I am in Canada.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    stv8r said:

hondabbq said:

Wegmans isn't ripping you off. That's Berkshire pork, not the usual mass-produced stuff. Go in on a Monday, they often mark it down.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    $3.50 ish at the oriental market across the street.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Little Steven
    Options

@yzzi try one where the fish section isn't in an enclosed area. ;)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    It's about $8 a lb at Whole Foods
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options

@yzzi try one where the fish section isn't in an enclosed area. ;)

Only if it's durian season...
    Dunedin, FL
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    $3.50 ish here
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    The local butcher shop is 3.99 a pound. a local pig farmer sells it for 6 bucks a pound. But last week I went to restaurant Depot, and scored an 11 pound belly for 1.98 a pound. It's no Berkshire, but I'm confident the bacon and pancetta I cured will be good :D
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • stv8r
    Options
    Well after reading some of the posts I was inspired to check with my favorite restaurant supply company.  They did not handle it but suggested a farm in rural MD that had a full service butcher shop.  $4.29/lb  Sounds good to me!  Reserved a 5-6lb belly to pick up tomorrow.  For any fellow Marylanders who are interested...

• stv8r
    Options
    stv8r said:
    Well after reading some of the posts I was inspired to check with my favorite restaurant supply company.  They did not handle it but suggested a farm in rural MD that had a full service butcher shop.  $4.29/lb  Sounds good to me!  Reserved a 5-6lb belly to pick up tomorrow.  For any fellow Marylanders who are interested...

sorry link was not added   

• stv8r
    Options
    ok apparently I'm violating some policy?

usual beginning dot galvinell dot usual ending
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    stv8r said:

Add the link to the "Paste as text" drop down box or make a hyperlink. This typically works for me.
  • Carolina Q
    Options

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    I like their site! Too bad they're in the middle of nowhere for me.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    stv8r said:

I can't attach anything without using brackets around the link. Maybe other characters work too but I don't want to waste forum space. (like henapple)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Never stopped you before. you have over 26K posts!!  =))

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Options
    That is so not true

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stv8r
    Options
    stv8r said:

I can't attach anything without using brackets around the link. Maybe other characters work too but I don't want to waste forum space. (like henapple)

idk but I just typed normal web addresses before today and they worked.  just not this one.  Thanks for the advice.

• Little Steven
    Options
    Never stopped you before. you have over 26K posts!!  =))
    Now it's not true