Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Republican or Democrat?

Options

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    They're all a bunch of criminals.  One side is big business and the other is big government.  I'm afraid we're at the tipping point where the leaches have learned that they can vote their way to a bigger gub'mint handout funded by us working schleps.  Way I see it - if you don't pay taxes then you shouldn't have a vote.
    Good thing everyone pays taxes.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Some just way more than others.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    edited November 2014
    Options
    henapple said:
    Some just way more than others.
    True. Like me. I do enjoy the benefits of the taxes I pay though. One of the best school systems in the country and awesome roads.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I should have specified income, payroll or property....

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    henapple said:
    True but I pay around half my damn income in taxes. Federal SS Sales tax Gas taxes Extra tax on tobacco and alcohol It's not a liberal or conservative thing...it's a holy ****, someone is taking a bunch of my hard earned money.

You should call your congressman.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I pay a lot of tax and the roads here are the worst in the country and the public schools are so good, we send our daughter to private school. This is Utopia!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    henapple said:
    True but I pay around half my damn income in taxes. Federal SS Sales tax Gas taxes Extra tax on tobacco and alcohol It's not a liberal or conservative thing...it's a holy ****, someone is taking a bunch of my hard earned money.

You should call your congressman.

Also, please let them know what you'd like to do without.  Eliminate health care for the elderly?  Social Security?  Roads?  Food and drug safety?  Lots of military hardware designed to fight a war that ended 25 years ago? 

Unfortunately, when taxes get cut (because that makes everyone happy and keeps them voting for you) services don't get cut (because that would make everyone unhappy and they would vote against you).  That just kicks the can down road, because nobody wants to make the tough decision.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    That's true ACN, but the guvmint also wastes a lot of money building bridges to nowhere and studying important stuff like the effects of Swedish massage on rabbits and measuring cow flatulance (because cow farts are destroying this planet!).
    Flint, Michigan
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    That's true ACN, but the guvmint also wastes a lot of money building bridges to nowhere and studying important stuff like the effects of Swedish massage on rabbits and measuring cow flatulance (because cow farts are destroying this planet!).
    Cool Strawman Fred! Those "drops in the bucket" you just mentioned are nothing compared to real government waste, say, like the trillion dollar JSF boondoggle.

By the way. bovine methane production is the #1 methane producer over landfills and the Natural Gas Industry. It's mostly produced through breathing, not flatulence.
  • henapple
    Options
    @Acn‌ ...basically you're nothing anyone can do?
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I guarantee you the gub'mint waste is more that a "drop in the bucket"

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Acn
    Options
    @henapple - I didn't say that. I said that you can't have your cake and eat it too. The government can't cut taxes (it's revenue) and maintain the same spending levels anymore than an individual or family could. So if you want true fiscal responsibility, something neither major party is particularly interested in ACTUALLY dealing with, you need to drop expenditures as well as revenue.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options

Cool Strawman Fred! Those "drops in the bucket" you just mentioned are nothing compared to real government waste, say, like the trillion dollar JSF boondoggle.

By the way. bovine methane production is the #1 methane producer over landfills and the Natural Gas Industry. It's mostly produced through breathing, not flatulence.

In order to have a straw man, the arguments must be false, misleading or exaggerated. I guess you caught me. Cow burps are destroying the planet, not farts. Essentially those tax wasting programs I mentioned are true. How do we know about cow burps? It's in a EPA report made annually and submitted to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change. I bet compiling that report every year hardly costs a dime!

Hey, I know. Let's talk about the money we waste on the United Nations!!!
    Flint, Michigan
  • henapple
    Options
    Let's talk about ALL the money we send to nations that hate us...
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Not burps, Fred. Exhalation. Also, that was still a straw man. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina‌ Congrats on bringing Tillis on board and dumping that blowhard Hagan
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited November 2014
    Options
    henapple said:
    Y'all don't send any money here and I hate you...just you not the rest of the Americans

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I want to get in on this debate so bad that it is killing me. I can't get involved for obvious reasons though ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options

Yes you're right. The planet is doomed. Eat as many cows as you can while you still can.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
  • Acn
    Options
    henapple said:

Foreign aid is less than 1% of the federal budget, and most of that goes to nations that like us. Maybe this saves a quarter penny per dollar of your federal taxes.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Yes you're right. The planet is doomed. Eat as many cows as you can while you still can.
    You sure have a gloomy outlook on life, Fred. Cheer up! Cows are delicious.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    SGH said:
    I want to get in on this debate so bad that it is killing me. I can't get involved for obvious reasons though ;)
    Jump in! The trolling is fun!
  • henapple
    Options
    There is no perfect party or plan. Someone is always going to suffer. I had great fiscal years during the Clinton administration although I hated his agenda. My first thought for voting is my families saftey. I just believe that a conservative administration is more likely to handle that better. I believe in Reagan's economic policy that less taxes results in more spending creating more revenue. I'm not sure any govt can legislate morality.

@Eggcelsior, you mentioned the money spent on the cold war. I grew up in the 70's and 80's and the tension was high between the US and Soviet Union.

Someone mentioned our forces being outdated. There has been a changed to insurgents instead of massive armys but there is still countries building that type of army. We live under the fantasy that "it'll never happen here".

All that being said...I'm friends with every political and religious affiliations.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

I don't worry about anything. It's quite liberating and makes me very happy. You liberal types are generally unhappy hand wringers worrying about cow farts, sorry, burps and other such nonsense.
    Time to power down and go home. It's been fun sparring with you. I'm pretty sure you lost.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    @henapple, no, I specifically mentioned the Star Wars SDI after you said Reagan bluffed as a joke. I did not comment on the entire cold war. 
  • Eggcelsior
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I don't worry about anything. It's quite liberating and makes me very happy. You liberal types are generally unhappy hand wringers worrying about cow farts, sorry, burps and other such nonsense. Time to power down and go home. It's been fun sparring with you. I'm pretty sure you lost.
    Fred, you can't take a joke can you? When did I ever take a position? I am here to troll, because politics are dumb. I didn't lose, as I didn't run for office. The people I wanted elected to the school board where the ones voted in. I couldn't care less about anything beyond that.