Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can't wait any longer for MiniMax - need a portable. Kamado Joe Jr or BGE Small and why?

Options

Comments

• clintmiller
    Options
    Somebody earlier in the thread mentioned the Weber Jumbo Joe. I use a large BGE as my main grill, but I also have a Jumbo Joe that I use as both a secondary grill at home and as a portable grill. I love the WJJ, and I've taken it all over the country. If you buy it ($60), there are a couple other things you need to do that drive the price a bit higher. You'll want to get the hinged grate so you can get to the charcoal without having to move the food (<$30). You'll also want to build the following height extender:

Super easy to build, costs less than $30, and makes smoking or using a dutch oven inside the WJJ really easy.

You can smoke two ways... 1) bank the coals to one side (the standard way with a Weber). 2) I've started using the BGE grill extender with a thick pizza stone on the bottom grid and the food on the top grid (need the barrel extension for this).

At any rate, it works great. Highly recommended, cheap, and gives a nice alternative to ceramic grills. (Sometimes it's nice to cook on something different just for a change of pace.)
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    I love my BGE, but I really feel like corporate has dropped the ball on this one. BGE customers have more brand loyalty than any company I've seen in my career. (I work in branding for a marketing firm). When customers, who care enough to post daily on a grilling forum, are considering deflecting you know they have a problem on their hands. I really hope they release a statement or offer some sort of incentive to keep people happy.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I love my XL it's one of the best purchases I've ever made. I'm a true fan of their product. I understand the Big Green Egg business model is different than lot of places. but the way they've done this just hasn't been good business. a lot of people when looking at buying something and if it's not available their attention gets lost. they move on and forget about it.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • JNJGoeders
    Options
    I have called corporate and have left MULTIPLE messages with Option #2 the customer service guy Dwayne...He has NEVER returned a single one of my calls.  Each time I've left a message with my name, number and a request for a return phone call.  It makes me sad that I selected the BGE, and they leave us all hangin like this!

I have been saving and holding out for a MiniMax to go alongside my XL, and I just want to know WHEN I can get it!!

Based on Dwaynes lack of customer service, GOD forbid I ever have warranty issues, cuz I think he's the guy that handles that too :(

Iowa, 1 BGEXL, 1BGEMiniMax, a truck, a camper and some horses and atvs :D Let's play!
  • bbqlearner
    Options
    Agree. The product is great but the service is another story.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    When and what beach are you going to visit?
    Week of Thanksgiving - near you at Crystal Beach.  We used to have a beach house there for years and still go down there when we can.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • lakewade
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback!  With the exception of the Weber idea (and I am going to look at that) I am surprised how many were on the same track as I was with the Kamado Jr.  I am seriously considering that and will report back.  Thanks!

-----------
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Agree. The product is great but the service is another story.
    BGE customer service is outstanding. I have yet to see someone walk into the BGE store and not be satisfied. Dealer service depends on the dealer. Even when a dealer is less that good, people have great luck going to Bruce and get what they need.
  • bbqlearner
    Options
    @Crimsongator You are correct you have not seen me :)

Maybe, you have a different experience. Granted, everyone's experience forms their view so can't say I can speak for your experience. But I definitely can say about mine :) 

• Crimsongator
    Options
    So you have been to the BGE store in Atlanta and dissastisfied with them?
  • badinfluence
    Options
    Why wait now they are arriving. Oh well go buy you joe jr i will always bleed green.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I have called corporate and have left MULTIPLE messages with Option #2 the customer service guy Dwayne...He has NEVER returned a single one of my calls.  Each time I've left a message with my name, number and a request for a return phone call.  It makes me sad that I selected the BGE, and they leave us all hangin like this!

I have been saving and holding out for a MiniMax to go alongside my XL, and I just want to know WHEN I can get it!!

Based on Dwaynes lack of customer service, GOD forbid I ever have warranty issues, cuz I think he's the guy that handles that too :(

First of all, his name is Duane, my name is Dwayne. :D

Now that we have that out of the way...

How in the world would you expect BGE HQ to be able to handle phone calls from BGE enthusiasts all over the country? This is why they have a dealer network which is supported by a distributor network. If your local BGE dealer is not providing the requisite service, try another. If no others are available, email BGE HQ. I just can't imagine dealing with Duane's voice mail volume...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Dwayne/Duane has nothing better to do
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I just call the retail store. They answer almost every time. Warranty is so easy when you live local just stop by the store with a picture and they give you new ones on the spot. That's hard to beat. Here is a pic of the 2 together to compare. 
  • bbqlearner
    Options
    Just saying that there's a reason there is a voicemail and there's a reason the voicemail is not full (ie. people can leave messages still) which probably means someone went through it - could be just hitting the delete button - who knows :)

Regardless, when you provide a call in number and a voicemail for someone to leave a message, it does create a "certain expectation" to be called back. I can understand they're probably busy.
    At work, I'm busy too but as a person working in client service, if someone leaves me a voicemail, eventually, I will call them back (might not be quick but eventually, I'll do it).

• fsumble
    Options
    I have been waiting for the MM as well for months, and was starting to get frustrated with them so  I went to a store where I could look at the Joe Jr.  My reason for buying is portability.  When we go camping, most of my focus is cooking, so I am ready to do it in style! 

It looks to me like the MM will be a lot more stable in it's stand than the Joe Jr.  If I transport the Joe Jr, I will need to be very careful that it can't fall over in the back of the truck.  I think it sits too high, and it does not fit tight in the stand either.  As I examined the Joe Jr, I kept thinking of ways to make a more stable, lower stand for it. 

Any ideas??? 
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    The MM is VERY stable in that stand. That is the one thing I would adjust on the S is to widen the base. I think it has the ability to be top heavy
  • erniemcclain
    Options
    Traded emails with my distributor today. The MM is in the warehouse. Sadly, the plate setter is on BO. Expecting in 2 weeks.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I got a plate setter. Reminds me I forgot to open it and check it out.
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Love my Jr with the exception of the lack of lower vent screen. It produces great meals just like the egg. I'm product loyal with common sense. Well worth your consideration.
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I know its petty but I really don't dig the Jr and how it looks in its stand.
    Seattle, WA
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    You have to consider how heavy it is. The weight keeps it stable. Mine is very stable in the stand. I thought the same thing until I saw it in person.
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Cooked this amazing 1.27# Ribeye tonight on my BGE CI grill equipped KJ Jr. Amazing cook....and mine is very stable in its stand but I wouldn't transport it in the stand without adding some buffers between the metal and the bowl. If the holder were too tight, could causing expansion-related problems. The additional height clearance from the bottom will likely be welcomed on wooden or heat cautious surfaces.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • lakewade
    Options
    Lit said:
    Here is a pic of the 2 together to compare. 
    Great comparison photo - thanks.  

-----------
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    Even at full pop....(ie NOT a Costco road show price of 349.) the Jr is a compelling value, and a great cooker. It actually exists, is currently available to anyman, and has proven itself to a wide group of unbiased consumers not a handful of beta users. That said, if you need/want a high quality porta-Kamado now....there's your sign. Otherwise, keep waiting and spend more. At least you'll have made an informed decision either way.
    I just hope Costco carries it near me.
    FWIW: Response from KJ on Costco is will expand program next year, but can not order at that price unless your there.
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I travel with my small BGE all the time and have no issues with portability. While the Mini Max is new and might make it a little easier for one person to carry, the small is a great grill. I keep a roll-top table in my trunk and just put my egg in the backseat of my car.

Here is my setup at a cabin

With the 5th wheel

Here is a Small Turkey I did 

Here is the Ceramic Grill Store woo with a pork butt

At the lake

I also have a Ceramic Grill Works two-tier to have multiple levels of cooking on the little guy.

Since you are leaving in a couple of weeks, I would get a pot lifter to help you carry it. 

Good luck on picking a portable grill. I hope this helps, there are a ton more pics on in my discussions. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Solson005
    Options
    I'm not sure why this didn't bump the thread back up. Hopefully it can be read.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • lakewade
    Options
    Solson005 said:
    I'm not sure why this didn't bump the thread back up. Hopefully it can be read.
    That is awesome!  Thanks - but you just totally messed me up because I was going to buy the KJ JR tomorrow. Now re-thinking it....I have the vehicle room to take the BGE small...and like the way you take your BGE small around...what to do.  I read another post about the Char-Griller Akorn Kamado that a guy takes with him as it is lighter and much cheaper than a BGE.  I have to decide by tomorrow so I'll let you know which way I go.  Thanks.

-----------
  • Solson005
    Options
    Sorry, haha I wish I had seen it sooner to help you in the beginning. Good luck deciding which will work best! 
  • lakewade
    Options
    FYI - I went with the KJ JR.  Thanks for all the feedback. I'll report back on how it works out.  

-----------