Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Breast advice

Options
I have read a lot of post and have seen some great looking cooks but I'm still confused.what are some of your thought/experiences on cooking a bone-in breast. Flat breast up or on a beer can stand? And does temp matter I've seen 350° and 250° is there a diff if it's cooked low and slow? I'm sure this has been covered before I'm just confused. Thanks for any thoughts- Todd
-Todd
Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited November 2014
    Options

I like to brine them for 24 hours  even if they are enhanced, rinse in fresh water a few times place in frig overnight and cook indirect 350F for about 90-120 minutes or so depending on size.  Pull around 155-160F They usually creep up 3-5 degrees while resting. Brining gives a great moist breast.  I just place in a "V" rack.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1151933/turkey-breast-brined

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    you can cook them either way, 350 or 250, both come out juicy if you dont over cook them. the texture is diffrent, the low and slow is softer and has a little stick to the teeth, the 350 bird has a roasted more traditional tday texture. you toss the rubbery skin on a low and slow but the sandwiches next day dont dry out like a roasted bird. for tday i roast, rest of the year gets a lower temp for fishing trips were i want those sandwiches
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I brine for just two hours; any more, and I find the meat too salty. I also air dry just the time needed to get the egg stabilized at 325 or so. I find 325 to be great for roasting or smoking. Here is a half I smoked recently. Really terrific. I put it right on the grate. And if you're so inclined, make stock with the bones. Turns out nice and smokey if you've smoked the breast.

Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I've had my best results with a bone-in breast by treating it like a spatchcock. The keel bone is a lot harder to get out of turkey than a chicken but it seems to cook faster and really even for me this way. I need to try one at a lower temp like @fishlessman suggests. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    @Richard Fl‌ I never thought of the V rack, great idea. She's in the brine now I'll post some pics. @fishlessman‌ , @jlsm‌ and @minniemoh‌ thanks all for the help. My plan is brine, dry, rub and 325° indirect. I'll post once done. I'm gonna also try a spatchcock in a couple weeks to compare it seems to be the fav with the family for chicken. Thanks again
    -Todd
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I'm cooking a test turkey this week end with the same basic plan. Will be interested in the spatch comparison. Keep us posted.
  • RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    @theyolksonyou‌ I will. I wanted to spatchcock this one but playing it safe due to friends coming over, but I will spatch and post ( I'm excited just to try a turkey love the way everything else has turned out so far)
    -Todd
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Last Thanksgiving I followed Dr BBQs lemon herb recipe and it was big hit. This year I am going to try the Cajun Style with the Cajun Butter Injection and Creole seasoning.
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm using Amazingribs.com recipe for ultimate smoked turkey, started my homework last month.

Barbecue Turkey And Turkey On The Grill: The Ultimate Smoked Turkey Recipe           
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "