Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Greek Marinated Chicken Breasts

Options
bdavidson
bdavidson Posts: 411
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As a follow up to my "overabundance of chicken" post below, I took suggestions from a number of respondants and came up with a pretty good dish, if I don't say so myself.
I didn't have any Wishbone Italian Salad dressing on hand, so I substituited a bottle of Greek dressing, and soaked 6 boneless, skinless breasts for around 2-3 hours. Then, as the egg was heating up, I tossed 'em on, as Cat recommended, with a chunk of apple wood, and allowed the egg to get to 325 or so before putting Ms. Daisy in place. I flipped 'em after 15 minutes and then took them off the grill after another 15 minutes. Served with steamed white rice, broccoli and cheese, and some fresh PA peaches for desert(yep...we still have them). No leftovers. Yum. I'll do these again. The chicken was cooked to perfection (thanks Cat!).
I'll try Tim's Char Crusted chicken breasts next time (he doesn't remember this, but I was one of his first CCCs...Char Crust Convert).

Comments

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Brad,[p]These chicken breasts cooked at 325* for 30 minutes and were done?.. I have done the same technique using Italian dressing but, cooked mine at 500* for about 45 minutes flipping about every 10 minutes to get them done. Maybe I need to learn something here. Did you pound them flat or anything?

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Bob,[p]Are you cooking direct? That sounds like a long time for boneless breasts, particularly at that temperature. [p]Maybe it's the frequent flipping. I only turn them once.[p]Or maybe you Suthrun folk have bigger chickens than us Yankees. ;-}[p]Cathy

• Grumpa
    Options
    Cat,[p]We got sum purddy good size munster chikins down here. Thet mebee the problum :~)

• bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Options
    Bob,
    Are you sure your dome thermometer is callibrated properly? I reserve 500+ for steaks and pizzas. All of my poultry is done at 300-350. These were boneless as well, which will also reduce cooking time. Yes. Half an hour was plenty of time.

• Grumpa
    Options
    bdavidson,[p]I guess I'll have to try the lower temp next time. When I do breasts they are usually Big meaty and thicker than normal. I also like skin on to give me the extra crispness that we like. I always keep check on my dome thermometer so I know for sure I am cooking at 500* or whatever my goal temp is. Wife thinks I'm crazy with the boiling water before each cook. Now that I'm thinking about it, the last ones I done may have been bone in rather than boneless. That is probably the difference although I know I have done the boneless before and the time seemed about the same the best I remember. Anyway, I'll experiment more and let you know my results.