Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket, ABTs and the Flame Boss 100

Options
2»

Comments

• BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options

Great cook and review @Griffin

Here's the bottom line of the Flame Boss 100 as I see it:  If this flame boss was stolen/broke/you were no longer it's owner..... would you buy another one at retail cost?

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    @griffin: I don't want to hijack the thread, I'll post this here and if it gets rolling I'll put in a new thread..

Heatermeter is DIY pitcontroller built by one of the TVWBB guys for his BGE (among other cookers).

If you are handy with a soldering iron and know some basic programming skills, this is a fun project.  I'd love to undertake it, but I don't have any spare time right now.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    BRush00 said:

Great cook and review @Griffin

Here's the bottom line of the Flame Boss 100 as I see it:  If this flame boss was stolen/broke/you were no longer it's owner..... would you buy another one at retail cost?

Hmm...hard one to answer. I would definitely look around to see what is out there as I'm not even sure of all the different kinds.

Would it still be in the running? Yes.

Would I pick it over the Auber? Yes.

It would probably be at the top of my price range. I would like to look at the Pitmaster IQ110 or 120 and the PartyQ.

You know...I hadn't looked at the prices and compared it. I thought the partyQ was around $100  Now I see the FlameBoss is around the same price as the DigiQ, so I'd have to throw the DigiQ  into the running. DigiQ can control two eggs which is an extra bonus, but then again I now have 3 controllers and only two eggs so not necessary.

I wish I could get my hands on all the different controllers that are out there to do a comparison, but I can only review what I've got and I don't think Mrs. G would let me buy them all (nor would I). But I guess to answer your question, yes I would buy it if something were to happen to it. I am totally happy with it so far. That or I might try out the DigiQ just to try something new.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Does it have an open lid detection function?

Yes, it does.  But it's one of the most useless functions of any controller in my opinion.  If you're running L&S and open the lid, you are introducing a TON of air from the top......the blower is not going to stoke the fire any more than the air blast from the top.

I have had issues will the open lid detect on several different blowers before--they have failed to turn the fan back on.  They monitor for a massive temp drop.  If they catch that, it triggers the open lid detect and does NOT turn the blower (because it usually would anytime the temp dropped below the pit set temp.)  So let's say you have to open the lid for an extended amount of time drop the interior temp to below 100F, then close it back up.  If your inner temp has dropped quite a bit and you're running low on charcoal, you may need that fan to restoke the fire.  The fan will not kick back on until it feels the temp rise from the lid being closed.  If the remaining charcoal does not have enough "umphh" to get the temp back up to whatever trigger point in the algorithm, then you're going to need to reset the unit.  So every time I close the lid after an extended amount of time, I unplug the unit briefly to kick the fan back on.  On my IQ120, I have disabled the lid open detect.

Just my opinion......I would rather manually control it, than risk having the logic screw something up.

• Willieb9000
    Options
    @griffin: I don't want to hijack the thread, I'll post this here and if it gets rolling I'll put in a new thread..

Heatermeter is DIY pitcontroller built by one of the TVWBB guys for his BGE (among other cookers).

If you are handy with a soldering iron and know some basic programming skills, this is a fun project.  I'd love to undertake it, but I don't have any spare time right now.

Also don't want to hijack, but I built my own heatermeter and love it. All in, it is cheaper than almost all of the other options and has a lot more features. It took me two nights of soldering after the fam went to bed (about 2 hours each night). I had never soldered a single thing before this. If you watch 10 mins of YouTube videos on how to solder you will be able to do it. The trick is slow and steady. I had a great time building it and it fired right up on the first try after I finished it. I honestly couldn't believe the thing worked! If anyone wants more info let me know.
    LBGE; Adjustable Rig
    Delaware County, PA
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    DigiQ DX is awful nice ...... straight forward no-non sense controller ..and a robust build quality

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Griffin‌- Great looking grub my friend. And great right up as well.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Griffin
    Options

Interesting @stlcharcoal One of the reasons I did NOT like the Auber is that even after unplugging the unit when opening the lid, then waiting for awhile before plugging it back in for the Egg to come back to temp, as soon as I plugged it back in, regardless of temp, that fan would kick in and overshoot the set temp. I could have it set at 250, plug it in and it would read 260 and the fan would keep going and end up sending it up to 275. Maybe its me, maybe it was my unit, but that thing would bounce around all over the place, up and down and only after hours and hours would it ever hit the target temp and hold steady.

So far both Flame Bosses have kept it within a few degrees and no more unplugging/plugging it back in.

@bcsnave Now I really want to try a DigiQ after looking at them yesterday. No way is it in my budget, though. Maybe somebody in the DFW will let me borrow one someday to try out...

Rowlett, Texas

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Griffin said:

Interesting @stlcharcoal One of the reasons I did NOT like the Auber is that even after unplugging the unit when opening the lid, then waiting for awhile before plugging it back in for the Egg to come back to temp, as soon as I plugged it back in, regardless of temp, that fan would kick in and overshoot the set temp. I could have it set at 250, plug it in and it would read 260 and the fan would keep going and end up sending it up to 275. Maybe its me, maybe it was my unit, but that thing would bounce around all over the place, up and down and only after hours and hours would it ever hit the target temp and hold steady.

Auber's are kind of known for that........that's the one and only temp controller we do not carry (and have no intention to.)  There are much better alternatives in the same price point.

With regard to the temp, keep in mind there can be some wild temp variations inside of the dome--especially if you're using a water/drip pan, and if the fire has migrated to one side of the firebox.  You can never rely on the dome temp gauge to match with the pit controller unless you clip the probe to it and calibrate it.  I always put my pit temp probe at grid level over a plate setter leg, then expect it to run a lower than the dome temp.

• Griffin
    Options
    @stlcharcoal I quit looking at the dome temp years ago on low and slows.

Rowlett, Texas

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Ragtop99 said:
    Excellent looking brisket.   

I need to stop reading these posts.  A nice simple controller would be a good toy to have.  Been thinking about a Party Q so I don't need A/C at the BBQ.
    This is why I went with the Party Q.. Hate requiring AC for items.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site