Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time using Blue Hogs Sauce

Options
Smoked for 5 1/2 hours. Dizzy Dust Rub with Oak and Hickory.

Comments

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    so, do you like it?
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    i have both tenn red and original in my pantry. I havent tried them yet. Interested in your opinion. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    How did you use the sauce?

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    GATABITES said:
    i have both tenn red and original in my pantry. I havent tried them yet. Interested in your opinion. 

I liked it. I brushed it on the last 20 minutes. It is sweeter than the Bone Suckin Sauce. Very thick even compared to the Bone Suckin Thicker style sauce.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    If you heat it then it brushes on a little easier
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Blues Hog......one of my favorites. I am not good at describing sauce qualities and characteristics yet, but it is everything my taste buds look for in a rib/pulled pork sauce !!!!

I only use others for variety..that includes my home made ( which I like very much) !!!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    dstearn said:

GATABITES said:

I liked it.

I brushed it on the last 20 minutes. It is sweeter than the Bone Suckin Sauce.

Very thick even compared to the Bone Suckin Thicker style sauce.

You really think it's sweeter than bone sucking? It's definitely thicker with more molasses, but also has a lot more spice than bone sucking IMO.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Have been doing a 50/50 mix of the two for the past few years and it is just right for for me. Started with mixing Blues Hog with Sweet Baby Ray. Then to mixing with these. photo photo_zpse73ab4fa.jpgimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    The 50/50 mix on turkey wings and on chicken legs. imageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Phatchris said:
    GATABITES said:

I liked it. I brushed it on the last 20 minutes. It is sweeter than the Bone Suckin Sauce. Very thick even compared to the Bone Suckin Thicker style sauce.
    You really think it's sweeter than bone sucking? It's definitely thicker with more molasses, but also has a lot more spice than bone sucking IMO.

I agree, it has more spice than Bone Sucking. I will try mixing them next time.
  • Stidrvr
    Options
    I picked up some Blues last summer from my local BBQ store. He recommended it to me since I like a sweet sauce. When I first tried it, it was frikken perfect! My all-time favorite is still The Sheds Southern-Sweet. The more I tried the Blues Hog though, I was noticing an odd flavor on the back end. At first taste theres the sweet, then followed by a tiny bit of heat, and after that, the only think I can describe it, is a fragrance. It mimics what a rose fragrance would taste like. Its barely noticeable but it is there. This was the first time that I tried Blues so maybe it was just a weird batch, or maybe its suppose to be that way. Which would be too bad if it was because other then that it was almost perfect to me.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have really wanted to try Blues Hog after hearing about it all these years.  I heard from @Lit they carry it at Ferguson's in Cumming.  I drove right past there on the way to a baseball tournament yesterday.  They are closed Sunday.  
    =((

I think I will break down and buy the 6 pack from Amazon.  It comes to like $6.30 a bottle shipped.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Options
    Can anybody explain the taste difference of Blues Hog to Sweet Baby Rays Original?
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Stidrvr
    Options
    The blues hog has less of a bitter taste like Sweet Baby Rays, the Blues hogs also has a strong honey flavor too.
  • mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131
    Options
    I like the 50/50 combo of the blues hog tn red and blues hog original. Did not care for the blues hog smokey mtn.
  • DoctorMojo
    Options
    mwraulst said:
    I like the 50/50 combo of the blues hog tn red and blues hog original. Did not care for the blues hog smokey mtn.
    I was instructed by a winning BBQ team to do just this. I have been trying to concoct my own sauce for a while now and TN Red was what I was shooting for, So I just buy it now.

Southern, Tennessee

LBGE, MBGE