Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Iphone freezing.

Options

Comments

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    No need to delete anything. Just synch your phone to your computer, back it up, and then update to iOS 8.1 while its hooked up to the computer. It uses the memory resources on your computer (rather then the phone) to install the new software.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Terrebandit‌
    Thank you brother. Fixing to try that now.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My son gave me his 5S just today. He recently got a new iPhone 6. The 5S replaced my antique 3GS. :) The 5S has upgraded iOS, 8.1. This post is my first here with the "new" phone. Just checking to see if it locks up. So far so good.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    @SGH‌ You update it from iTunes on your computer while the phone is connected to the computer. Just wanted you to be clear on that point.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    Just buy a new iPhone. It helps my stock price.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • SGH
    Options
    @Hibby‌
    I think I am. I'm sure now that the 6 is out that the 5 models will have trouble every time a new update comes out. I like the new big screen also.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    My wife just got the 6. She was dreading the larger footprint but has decided she likes it.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    If you plug your iPhone to your computer and perform the upgrade there via iTunes it will work without freeing up space on your device.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • SGH
    Options
    @Terrebandit‌ @4Runner‌
    Fellows I plugged my iPhone into my lap top and immediately a box came up saying a upgrade was available did I want to download. When I clicked yes it would still pop up saying I didn't have enough space. I was in iTunes on my lap top when I got this message. However I finally out of frustration deleted my music off of my phone and I'm now running the new 8.1. Want to say thanks to everyone for the input and help my friends. The phone seems to be much faster now and thus far it hasn't froze or stuck. If it freezes now that I have installed the new update, it's going in Unit #6's firebox with some oak. Thanks again everyone.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Just a note. I still can't view the full site even with the new download. To me that's hard to figure when for months when running the old version I could.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Small picture delete test.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Still can't delete the small pics either^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Status- Standing by.

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Did you put iCloud on your laptop as well??   You should be able to access all cloud contents from your laptop just to insure it is there. 

There are settings to automatically upload to cloud, where pics/etc are accesssible to iPad/laptop/ iPhone all from the cloud. All content will be update in the cloud from devices, and all update content available (shared) to all devices.

Hope that helped and didn't confuse !!!!

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Just a maintenance note: 
    With iOS 8, double tap the home button (front bottom) All your apps that are currently running will line up left to right and can be accessed by swiping left or right.

It gives me a good idea of how much space I'm wasting by having apps I'm not using on the "ready line".

Simply swipe up to put those apps you're not using to bed, and free up memory, and reduce annoying freeze ups.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• SGH
    Options
    @dldawes1‌
    Yes sir I do have the cloud on my PC as well. I still don't totally understand how the cloud works, but I have most of my stuff there now.
    @DieselkW‌
    Thanks for the advice my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Just for the record. My phone is doing much better. However I was just trying to post a new thread and it froze again after I had been typing about 5 minutes. 99% of the time it happens when I hit the "x" to delete or backspace. Does this seem to be the issue with everyone else?

Status- Standing by.

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Okay here. 5S with iOS 8.1 I can't view full site or delete thumbnails either. Started several weeks ago when I was on a 3GS with an old iOS. Now I'm on this phone, I still can't do either. I have written to BGE twice and it's still broken. No fix, no response. But my phone isn't locking up.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @carolina_Q I doubt this is an issue on the BGE side. It's likely Vanilla. There have been many issues in the past with Apple devices not playing nice with the software.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Ah, but I see we're back to no paragraphs.
    <BR Not without extra effort anyway.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Paragraph

Paragraph.

Paragraph.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    That worked for me on PC.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Paragraph

Paragraph

Paragraph
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
  • SGH
    Options
    @Eggcelsior‌
    This is just a shot in the dark but I'm going to ask any way. When I first got my iPhone a few months back and it was running whatever system all was well. I could view the full site, delete the small pics and pretty much do the same thing on my iPhone that I could on my PC. Now 2 system upgrades later I can't hardly do any thing. Is it on apples end? The last time I posed the question- " Is it Apple or BGE" my thread got killed in minutes. Just curious as you seem computer savy, is it my phone or the forum? Or possibly a combination of each? Thanks in advance.

Status- Standing by.

• Carolina Q
    Options
    @carolina_Q I doubt this is an issue on the BGE side. It's likely Vanilla. There have been many issues in the past with Apple devices not playing nice with the software.
    Oh, I figured it was vanilla. I hope whoever chose it has answered for their screw up!

Paragraphs worked in my iPhone yesterday. And they have always worked on my Mac (which is what I'm writing this on). Now its back to one long mess when posting from the phone. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Paragraph never worked on my iPad, but MacBook always. I just created a shortcut to insert the return code. PITA, but better than typing code every time. Got the idea in the forum but can't remember who from or I'd give credit where it's due.
  • SGH
    edited November 2014
    Options
    @Carolina Q @theyolksonyou‌

What is paragraphs?^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Status- Standing by.

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    SGH said:

@Eggcelsior‌
    This is just a shot in the dark but I'm going to ask any way. When I first got my iPhone a few months back and it was running whatever system all was well. I could view the full site, delete the small pics and pretty much do the same thing on my iPhone that I could on my PC. Now 2 system upgrades later I can't hardly do any thing. Is it on apples end? The last time I posed the question- " Is it Apple or BGE" my thread got killed in minutes. Just curious as you seem computer savy, is it my phone or the forum? Or possibly a combination of each? Thanks in advance.

It's the way the Vanilla software interacts with the Apple device. I bet they create some patch for something and it messes up certain devices until they patch the new issue. It always seems to happen with Apple devices. If you go to the Vanilla support page you can see tasks they are working on. For example, there is a thread on the Vanilla support page discussing thumbnail deletion.
  • SGH
    Options
    @Eggcelsior‌
    Thanks for the explanation man.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    For the record. After the new download my phone is no doubt faster. But it has slowly started back sticking and freezing again.

Status- Standing by.