Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's official the outdoor kitchen has started.

Options
I've been kicking this around for a while. Just wanted to make sure everything is right before I started. Thanks to @Bojangles‌ for the inspiration on the griddle. (Not bad for a Dolphins fan) work has me working a ton so hopefully I can get this done before the snow flies. imageimage
LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Looks like a great start!! Absolutely love the flat top!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    @cazzy between you and @Bojangles the searing of steaks on the steel is now a must. The Lbge goes to the left and the sbge will go to the right. And a sink will be to the right of that. I thought I'd have a ton of room with 11 feet but I had to add the L shape to have a work area. Like everything egg related the price just keeps going up.

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Looks like it's gonna be a kick ass spot for cooking
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Looks like a great start.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Supercilious_In_5280
    Options
    Awesome from here
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Looking good. Looks like you are building it under your deck, do you have a way to keep rain from coming through the deck boards?
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Gonna be nice.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• grege345
    Options

Looking good. Looks like you are building it under your deck, do you have a way to keep rain from coming through the deck boards?

@Ladeback69‌ it's actually below a 3 season room image

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    grege345 said:

@Ladeback69‌ it's actually below a 3 season room image
    That's cool place to cook. I'm green with envy. Keep us all posted on the progress.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Bojangles
    Bojangles Posts: 118
    edited October 2014
    Options
    kickass @Grege345 !!!  You're gonna LOVE the flat top.... you no-good-dirty-Jets-fan!!

I used mine 3 times last weekend... Once for a egg/bacon/pancake/hash brown breakfast, another time for the best Philly cheesesteaks I've ever made, and a 3rd time to reheat the pulled pork I smoked on the Egg and some buns for sammies.

***One comment/suggestion, if I may.... from the way your slab should be sloped (away from the house) the grease trap on your BlackStone is gonna be on the wrong side.  

It's not the end of the world, mine is that way, it just means a little more work during a greasy cook (bacon, diner-style sliders) to use your spatulas to re-route the grease to the grease trap.  Everything would still work fine....

But, if I were you I would make two modifications now, before you get further along in the build.

1. Raise the legs on the left side ever so slightly... so that gravity can make the grease run the right way.

2. Weld a tiny piece of angle on the underside of the griddle, immediately to the left of the grease hole.  This will prevent tiny amounts of grease from running down the BlackStone's leg and accumulating on your slab over time.

Enjoy it, buddy.  Glad my posts could inspire the purchase, you're gonna love that thing.  Perfect compliment to the Egg.
    Large BGE  |  Blackstone  |  Custom Dísco  |  PolyScience Discovery
    --------------------------------------------
    my Big Green Egg has saved many-a-Sunday that my Miami Dolphins attempted to ruin.
  • grege345
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @Bojangles good call on the drip tray. I couldnt wait to use it and I noticed the things u talk about. That drip hole needs tweaked.

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Great thread.  Love everything going on in here.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• mshump
    mshump Posts: 212
    Options
    Nice set-up !! That's going to be very nice when done !!
    Danville, Il
  • SJ21XDC
    SJ21XDC Posts: 235
    Options
    Looking good!  I wish I had room for a flat top.

XL & Mini-Max

Chattanooga, TN

• Bojangles
    Bojangles Posts: 118
    Options
    grege345 said:
    @Bojangles good call on the drip tray. I couldnt wait to use it and I noticed the things u talk about. That drip hole needs tweaked.
    Other forums I've visited that have more griddle owners and a lot of BlackStone owners have posts about solutions for the drip hole.  It's a minor inconvenience, but one that BlackStone's design team should address.  Wouldn't stop me from buying the thing all over again.  I've seen mods ranging from crumpled aluminum foil ramps that scream jerry-rigged "ingenuity", to guys who went hardcore and welded on full plumbing setups that re-route the grease all over the place.  I think the method I suggested above seems like the most simple and effective solution (the one BlackStone's design team ought to use).  That's what I'll do to mine eventually.  In the meantime, if you put anything vertical through the hole, the grease will run down it instead of back flowing behind the hole.  I tried an experiment and put an uncooked spaghetti noodle through the hole and into the grease trap.... threw on 2 full packs of bacon to generate as much grease as possible... sure enough it all traveled down the noodle (path of least resistance)... no back flow.  YMMV.
    Large BGE  |  Blackstone  |  Custom Dísco  |  PolyScience Discovery
    my Big Green Egg has saved many-a-Sunday that my Miami Dolphins attempted to ruin.
  • grege345
    Options
    Updateimageimage

Need to box out some drawers and cabinets now. Never did it before so it should be interesting.

Run the plumbing, and electric. More backer board,stone and tile top. Only get to work in it Sunday's so who knows how long it will take

• mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    Looks like a fun project... not to mention the fun you will have hanging around a great outdoor kitchen! 

XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • grege345
    Options
    I think I've runnout of time to go any further this yearimage

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Digging it! Sweet 4 burner flat top grill. And the sink/wash station will come in handy. Just a thought (& maybe it was already suggested) an electrical sub panel dedicated to this area with small panel nearby. And a Stoker centrally mounted with enough probes and draft blowers for both eggs. I know that's on my list to add some probes and one more blower for my MM. The set-up is real nice (for a Jets Fan ;) ). It's gonna be the spot on game days I'm sure. :-bd
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • grege345
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌ there is hot and cold water on the other side of the wall on the right and the 250 samples service is only another 20' away. You think I need a sub panel ? Or just a dedicated circuit? Goin with 2 outlets and 4 overhead lights in the rafters and one other outlet for a tv on a allyou can't see in the pic

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Dedicated would be idea only for isolation purposes. Better to have more/extra now than to want more later.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    Options
    I've got a crick in my neck!!
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Looks amazing and I love the countertops.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    That's a nice setup. Smart idea with the countertop. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Tbla
    Tbla Posts: 57
    Options
    That's shell of a set up.   I like the back splash.  Nice touch.   
    Woodbury, MN.   LBGE, Weber gasser, ECB
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Looks great! What is the countertop surface?
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Looks great man. Nice work all around there.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • grege345
    Options
    @Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic it is tile. Wanted granite, to expensive. Wanted concrete, too much of a puss to try it. Went with the tile cuz it's fire proof and it looked like wood. Sure I would have done a few things different but overall I'm pretty happy with it. 

• Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Looks great...tile was my guess...I thought I could see some cement board.  Your work is very inspiring 
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...