Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

dutch oven

Just picked up a Lodge today 6qt and 1 qt. My question is when you guys cook with a Dutch oven do you just bring the egg to temp that you want or do you put lump under and on top like in the directions. Thanks for any tips.
XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited November 2014
    Are you thinking of campfire cooking with a DO? I've done cakes and such in a campfire with coals on top and bottom. Never heard of that on an egg though. Just set it on the grid. If you want a smoky flavor, you want to leave the lid off anyway.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Thank you that is all I was wondering. Just watched Dr bbq  cook chili on the egg. I got mine with legs think I might regret that.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I do soups and chili. If I have to sauté I will do direct on the grid until it is time to simmer for an extended period, then I will set on spacers on the plate setter.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Matt what temp do you use for chilli.
  • Mattman3969
    I'll run 350ish to sauté my onions, celery and meat and then add the PS for the simmering portion, backing it back down to 250ish.

analyze adapt overcome

• Thanks for the help guys going to make chili for the game tomorrow,
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Mine has legs also. I just set it on the plate setter and if you want to sauté, the legs will fit in the grid. Or you could always just place it right in the coals.
    NW IOWA
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I came across this recently. Might serve as a guide.

225-250° Low
    250-325° Med Low
    325-375° Med
    375-450° Med High
    450-600° High

Seems like they ought to be in the ballpark anyway. Haven't really tried to be that particular. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Thanks to everyone, I have not posted much but this is a very helpful forum.
  • Are you thinking of campfire cooking with a DO? I've done cakes and such in a campfire with coals on top and bottom. Never heard of that on an egg though. Just set it on the grid. If you want a smoky flavor, you want to leave the lid off anyway.

Not in a BGE, but in one of my Kamados....beef short ribs. Delish. No wind issues, stable, great excuse to clean out yesterday's ash.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

I came across this recently. Might serve as a guide.

225-250° Low
    250-325° Med Low
    325-375° Med
    375-450° Med High
    450-600° High

Seems like they ought to be in the ballpark anyway. Haven't really tried to be that particular. :)
    I run a different chart...

Low...2 beers
    Med low..6 beers
    Medium...12 beers
    Med high...add Woodford
    High. ..added more Woodford
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • done = woke up next to the egg...
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mattman3969
    edited November 2014
    @henapple - your egg must burn 1 beer cooler than mine

analyze adapt overcome

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    cazzy said:

@Cazzy...

You crack me up!!!

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    No legs on my DO. I have cooked chili right on the PS. Have also cooked on the grid.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY