Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Packer Brisket and a Pork Butt at Same Time -- Any advice?

Options
bicktrav
bicktrav Posts: 640
edited November 2014 in EggHead Forum
Got a bunch of people coming over tomorrow and am planning on doing a whole packer brisket and a pork butt.  The packer is 16 lbs. (pre-trimming) and the butt is 9.  I'm planning on doing it on multiple levels on my adjustable rig.  Never done these two cuts at the same time before.  I was thinking brisket on the lower level, fat side down, and pork butt on the upper level.  Temp will be set at 250.  

What do you all think?  Anyone done this?  Any tips?  Should I switch the levels during the cook?  Any thoughts on the drippings (one or both cuts are going to get soaked).  Would love any help any of you can provide!
Southern California

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Just my opinion, but I would put the brisket on the top. I'd rather have brisket juice dripping on my butt than butt juice dripping on my brisket...  :-\"

Here's my theory, FWIW. Butts will drip longer into the cook than the brisket. I also care much more about the bark on a brisket than pork that is going to be pulled and mixed. I like to present brisket whole and slice to serve. The butt I will pull and serve pulled. No one will notice if there are blemishes on the bark of a butt but me. If there are weird looking areas on the brisket, everyone knows.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bicktrav
    Options
    @DMW - Thank you!  All very good points.  Hadn't considered the bark issue.  Might be a tighter fit putting the butt on the lower level because it's taller, but I'm going to see if I can make it work.  Question though, if you're putting the brisket on the upper level, would you place it fat side up or down?  Typically, I do it fat side down because the fat shields the meat from the heat below it.  But in this case, the butt will be below it and the dome will be above it.  Makes me think maybe it should be fat side up because I would think more radiant heat would be coming from the dome.  What do you think?
    Southern California
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    +1 with DMW. The bark on whatever is on the bottom will suffer some from the drippings. As for the brisket, whatever side is up will have better bark than the side facing down.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Agree with @DMW.  However, dimensionally brisket's footprint is about twice that of the butt's, will it block air flow at the top, or have the two ends hanging down?  Butt will fit better on top, is it possible to have a tray below the butt so you don't get butt dripping on the brisket?
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    That's a healthy packer-and all in with brisket over butt.  (Sounds like a title for a movie... :) )   
    Beef on top and fat side down on any cook for me.  Just make sure you have a drip pan and it is elevated off the heat deflector. Banquet on the far end of this cook-enjoy!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bicktrav
    Options
    Very true about the dimensions. Far snugger with the brisket up top. There may be a way to try to rig a piece of foil beneath the upper grid as a drip pan. Will be tricky ensuring there is enough space between the bottom of the foil and the top of the butt though.
    Southern California
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    You may be able to drape the brisket over a fire brick to get it "all in" or just accordion it until the proverbial shrinkage (and not cold water related,,,) enables it to go full flacid.  Regardless, I wish I was within a road trip distance of the eats!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.