Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

8.5lb bone in turkey breast (pics)

Options
shtgunal3
shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
edited October 2014 in EggHead Forum
Hasty Bake lump....apple for smoke.... Oakridge Gamebird and Chicken rub.... 300-350 indirect until 160. Took about 5.5 hrs. Bird was mostly frozen. It sat in the fridge for 1 day. While it was resting our little girl (5 yrs old) came up and said "Daddy that sure is a big chicken!". Sides done on the clock.imageimageimageimage

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

Comments

• shtgunal3
    Options
    Plated with mashed taters, purple hull peas, el cheapo Mac-n-cheese, and gravy.image

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    What can I say other than awesome!! =D> The bird looks amazing.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I see that you like a little shot of pepper as well. Try a touch of cayenne along with the black pepper. Gives a whole different affect.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• shtgunal3
    Options
    Thanks @SGH . I will give the cayenne a try.

• Eggbertsdad
    Options
    @shtgunal3...Thanks for posting this. It looks great. 

I just grabbed a bone-in turkey breast out of the freezer and will thaw out for a Saturday cook. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • shtgunal3
    Options
    @Eggbertsdad‌ post up some pics of it during the cook. The only thing I will do different next time is add more wood. I like smoke and this one didn't have much smoke flavor. This time I only used one small chunk of apple, next time I'll probably use three.

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    A turkey breast is next on my list. That looks great. I agree with your daughter. That is a big chicken! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Good lookin meal right there.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Nailed It!!!
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • shtgunal3
    Options
    @johnkitchens‌ @tulocay‌ @XC242‌ thanks for the comments guys. One of the grocery stores here are running these on sale this week for $1.49lb. I grabbed two more and threw in the freezer.

• Eggbertsdad
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    @Eggbertsdad‌ post up some pics of it during the cook. The only thing I will do different next time is add more wood. I like smoke and this one didn't have much smoke flavor. This time I only used one small chunk of apple, next time I'll probably use three.
    I just pulled it off the BGE.

Brined overnight in salt, brown sugar, Italian herbs, lemons & limes.

Rinsed and dried in fridge for an hour. Seasoned with olive oil, salt, pepper, and Shakin' the Tree

Used apple and cherry chips

Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Really great looking bird...
  • RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    Looks amazing. I also just placed one in the fridge to thaw this will be my first. Am I correct in thinking that I simply brine, rub, then place Brest-up on grid (indirect)?thanks for any advice and thanks for posting this @shtgunal3‌ it really looks good!
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    @anzyegg

Thanks. The wife isn't a big turkey fan and it smelled so good she grabbed some onion rolls, Swiss, and Russian dressing and made sandwiches. Outstanding!

Go easy on seasoning after the brine. It can get too salty if not careful. The brine really penetrates the breast meat. Also, I cooked it indirect and just like a beer can chicken but breast up will work fine. Good luck!
  • shtgunal3
    Options
    @Eggbertsdad‌ that is a great looking breast dude. Looks like you nailed it.

• shtgunal3
    Options
    @RiverDoc‌ I don't have a stand and mine kept falling over. I just left it alone and let it cook.

• TN2TX
    TN2TX Posts: 298
    Options
    @shtgunal3 I am about to try this cook tomorrow. Did you use a turkey stand in the egg or just lay if flat down on the grid? 
    Dallas, TX
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    Looks great, and nice slicing job!
    canuckland
  • shtgunal3
    Options
    Tn2tx sorry it took so long to respond. I didn't have a stand when I done this one. I tried standing it up but it kept falling over so I just left it laying down. Since then I have bought a metal BGE chicken stand and now I use it to do turkey breast.

Again this one was done without a stand.

@Canugghead‌ thanks for the compliments. I watched a YouTube video on turkey breast carving right before doing this.

• TN2TX
    TN2TX Posts: 298
    Options
    @shtgunal3 Much appreciated. I have a chicken stand that I might try on this go around. 
    Dallas, TX