Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Makin' Bacon - How long to smoke?

Options
I just put on my first attempt at bacon.

Two small 1.5# pieces of belly I've had in a cure (Salt, Brown Sugar, Pink Salt) for about 8 days. They air dried for 24 hours in the fridge, and are on now at 200˚ with some applewood.

I'm expecting they will take only about 90-120 minutes to get to 150˚  Does that sound right?

imageimage
1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC

Comments

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    That sounds about right. Keep the temp low to get as much smoke on it as you can. Those are nice looking bellies! I have 10 lbs curing right now.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I cold smoked mine and went for 3hours with the AMNPS.
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Wow this is slooow...been 2.5 hours at around 190 degrees and meat is only at 120 degrees...

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    The slower the better in my opinion. The longer it is in the egg the more smoke flavor you get. That belly looks good. It's been awhile since I cured any. This makes me wanna go get some.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    It usually takes me 3 hours @ 300F to reach an IT of 150F

Options
    Wow this is slooow...been 2.5 hours at around 190 degrees and meat is only at 120 degrees...

You're good.  I think it took mine about 3 hours or so at 300.
    NOLA
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    I'm on day 7 of curing a boneless loin, simple Ready Cure (=pink salt + salt) and dextrose.  Plan on rinsing/soaking after 9 days, overnight in fridge, then hot smoke around 180-200 till IT 150.
    canuckland
  • Ogre_BBQ
    Options

I just finished smoking a boneless pork loin after 12 days in Buckboard Bacon Cure (no chance to smoke it after 10 days so I left it in there a bit longer) and 1 day in the fridge.  Took over 4 hours to get to 150 with my egg between 190 and 230 grate.

I forget the starting weight but it turned into 8lbs of smoked awesome.

My experience the 2 or 3 times I've done belly is also about 4 hours.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Ogre_BBQ - Welcome aboard and enjoy the egg ride!

Sounds like my pork loin is about the same size as yours, if you used the Hi Mountain cure how do you like it?  
    canuckland
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    I've done between 5 and 7 hours cold smoking
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Man, oh Man. this is soooo good

Ended up taking 3.5 hours at around 200 degrees. I kicked it up to 275 at the end to speed it up b/c I had to go out. Didn't seem to have any effect.

I'd like it a little smoker, but otherwise, this stuff is delicious.

I was a little worried about getting the skin off. After it was cool, I put it skin side down on the counter and slipped a knife horizontally right between the skin and the meat, right against the cutting board and slipped the skin right off. The softened fat made the skin fall right off.

imageimageimage
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Nice!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Sure wish I could take those slices out of your frying pan! Looks perfect. Nice job.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @CarolinaCrazy‌ I'm smoking my first batch tomorrow night. How much wood did you use and how much would you think you would use next time to get your desired smoke?
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    I put in 3 large chunks and a couple little pieces.

I would have liked it a bit smoker. A lot depends on how you mix the wood into the charcoal and if it get's lit or not, but I think all my wood was incorporated, so I will use more next time.

I've read with bacon, the smoker the better, so load it up!
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Great lookin
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• smasch
    smasch Posts: 115
    Options
    Looks great. It has moved rapidly up my list.
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I put in 3 large chunks and a couple little pieces.

I would have liked it a bit smoker. A lot depends on how you mix the wood into the charcoal and if it get's lit or not, but I think all my wood was incorporated, so I will use more next time.

I've read with bacon, the smoker the better, so load it up!

That's what I've read as well. I'm thinking lots of apple with some hickory in there as well.

thanks for the quick reply