Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron score. Can you help identify it?

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
My wife snatched up some pans today that a friend of hers was getting rid of. The large pan and the cornbread mold are Lodges. The other 2 however are not. They are much smoother than Lodges. Here are the only markings that I could find on them. Anyone recognize the markings or know what they are? Thanks in advance for any help or input my friends.
imageimageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• SGH
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @travisstrick‌
    Any thoughts brother Strick?^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    If it says Made in xxxanywherexxxx, it's post-1960. I have several myself - most of which I have had no success in determining age or maker. I kind of collect the cast iron corn bread tins. I think they're unique but I have never cooked in them. More info here: https://michael.lustfield.net/misc/all-i-know-about-cast-iron
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • SGH
    Options
    @Hibby‌
    Thank you brother Hibby.

Status- Standing by.

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I just got one from my mother that was my great grandmothers yesterday... Well over 100 years old.... Psyched to cook with it :D
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Here's another resource that may help: http://www.castironcollector.com/unmarked.php

The "Made in USA" in your pic looks like the one shown on the link for some unmarked Lodge pans from the 60s.

Check to see if yours has the notches on the bottom.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • SGH
    Options
    @Phatchris‌
    That's impressive brother Phat.
    @R2Egg2Q‌
    Thank you as well brother R2.

Status- Standing by.

• Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    @sgh I have no info on the pans you have. But I wanted to let u know to check out the discussion I had started a while back about how to season cast iron. I just posted a few updated pics of the process. I have not used them yet but to touch they are smooth. The flax seed oil method is working out well.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    If it's real smooth it could be old Lodge, Griswold or Wagner. All of them machined their pans. Once the other two went down lodge started shipping right out of the cast.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SGH
    Options
    @‌Little Steven
    They are definitely much smoother and lighter than the Lodges that I have. In going to clean them up and use them.

Status- Standing by.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Don't you have a milling machine?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SGH
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @Little Steven
    Not a dedicated mill. I have a very small and older CNC machine, but not a dedicated horizontal/vertical mill.

Status- Standing by.

• mshump
    mshump Posts: 212
    Options
    I don't think they are Griswold, they really liked putting their name and Erie,Pa (where they were manufactured) on the bottom of their pans
    Danville, Il
  • SGH
    Options
    @mshump‌
    Do you have a guess or hunch on what they are?

Status- Standing by.

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    SGH, try to get up with Focker, I bought a panfrom Goodwill and I had no idea what it was. It turned out Focker knew exactly that it was an ebleskiver pan and he is very knowledgeable on cast iron.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • mshump
    mshump Posts: 212
    Options
    @SGH , Sorry but I do not have any idea
    Danville, Il
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Looks like a 1960's lodge to me.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Whatever it is, there is a story behind it, keep the story going my friend!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I think that one was made in the US. Hope that helps.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Ya, and one is a number 8 and the other is a D-1. We're really a great help here, aren't we?
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • SGH
    Options
    @piney‌
    Thanks for the advice my friend. It is much appreciated.
    @XC242 @thetrim‌
    Hey, at least you tried. It's the thought that counts fellows ;)

Status- Standing by.

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    I believe the number 8 refers to the size - it's an 8 inch pan?  D and 1 likely refer to some manufacturer code - location (cities that start with D near Biloxi with old metal work factories?) and which forge (1 of several?)

Complete guess. I have several old fryers bought at yard sales and cleaned up. I find "Wagner" is more common than Lodge. How do you plan to get to bare metal?

I buy old cast iron whenever I can, especially the really heavy duty fryers. 

Best rust remover I've used is simple white vinegar. You can set up an electrolysis tank if you want, but if you're not going to be buying more iron then I wouldn't bother with that mess. 

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Options
    Best rust remover I have used is a media blaster. It works well. I will be doing two Wagner skillets today!
    Duncan, SC
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i would get a grinder and sand that lodge smooth, made a huge difference with mine
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SGH
    Options
    @fishlessman‌
    You are talking about the actual cooking surface correct? Or the whole thing?

Status- Standing by.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    just inside bottom. i had one of those preseasoned lodges and a cook with tomatoes ruined the pan, only way to get it to stop bubbling was to sand it off. its way better nonstick wise now.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SGH
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @fishlessman‌
    Thanks brother. I think I'm going to try that myself. Again, I apprecitate the tip brother fishless.

Status- Standing by.

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I am surprised I do not see this link posted yet.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hmDBvgTWFE  

If you have 28 minutes, it is very informative and may help you rule some manufacturers in or out (if you really care).
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    I am surprised I do not see this link posted yet.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hmDBvgTWFE  

If you have 28 minutes, it is very informative and may help you rule some manufacturers in or out (if you really care).
    Thanks for posting this. I have several CI pans and this helped me identify a couple old Lodge and Wagners.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • SGH
    Options
    @Cookinbob‌
    I just saw the video you posted. Thanks for sharing. I now know that my pans are older Lodges. Thanks brother.
    @piney‌
    Thanks for bumping this. I didn't realize he had posted that video until now. Hope that you are doing well my friend. Party Monster was asking about you last night. He says hello.

Status- Standing by.

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    I don't know the difference in pans but you sure did an incredible job getting those things clean.