Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: E-mail goofs

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited October 2014 in Off Topic
Have you ever had an e-mail goof that just made you immediately face palm?

For instance, this morning, I reply all'd to an email and didn't notice my Director added someone.  My response lacked some tact and I wouldn't have been so candid had I known he was added.  Being in IT, I'm fully aware how dangerous Reply All can be.  The walk of shame to apologize to him wasn't fun.  LOL

About 10 years ago, I pulled the lemme e-mail the person I am talking about hack.  Thankfully he was my boss and I had access to his e-mail.  I remotely accessed his e-mail, deleted the evidence and went about my day.  Definitely a close call.     :D

Do you all have any face palm stories?
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    It's why I never hit Reply All
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • cazzy
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    It's why I never hit Reply All
    I'm batting about .998 with it, so it hasn't been too bad.  I'm usually pretty cautious, but it got me today.  
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I have never, but a co-worker of mine sent out a chain letter to all of Tyndall AFB, including the base general, when I was enlisted. LMAO
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    One of the doctors I work with was going back and forth with another in the practice and a doctor from another hospital who was coming to speak at a conference. The guy was being a douche and my doc meant to tell my other doc this via email but accidentally cc'ed the douche doc as well. Gotta love bending over backwards for douchebags.
  • TNegg
    TNegg Posts: 89
    Options
    No email goofs here.... but my best friends boyfriend sent her a sexy message in what he didn't know was a group text.  It was soooo funny.  I still tease them about it! 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    @cazzy, I do not have an email goof, but a IM goof.  We use a IM program globally called WebEx.  Many tasks are done with this program as well as just general banter between people.  Me and my good friend and co-worker sometimes vent to one another.  It was one of those days man, something in the air where it left you feeling like WTH is going on.  Got an email from someone about an issue and I went off.  I said in the IM to my friend "If that isn't nice, I just got F'ed in A hole there"... Usually, its not that bad.  I was wondering why he didn't respond.  I went back and looked, and I sent that to my assistant, which is about to retire (upper 50's lady).  I look up where she sits and didn't see her there.  I went to her cubbie and saw my message blinking.  I deleted that so fast.  

I actually did tell her.  She is a good sport as my team are all guys.  She thought it was pretty funny, but at the time I was thinking I was headed to HR.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • cazzy
    Options
    My buddy Miah did this one.  It was hilarious...he thought he was toast.

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    cazzy said:

His butt probably puckered so much he could crack a pecan.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    Instant messaging got me in trouble. Sent an IM to a colleague asking him when he was presenting to "all those tools"...he was sharing his screen to a bunch of folks in a conference room, as well as online, but recovered nicely by saying he was showing them the tools at that moment...
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    @MJG, thankfully, on WebEx, it shows "IN A MEETING" or "SHARING A SCREEN".  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • cazzy
    edited October 2014
    Options
    My wife and I work for the same marginalization. We use Microsoft Lync and her status ties into her calendar.  If she's "In a Meeting" or "Webex - Sharing Screen", I don't even bother messaging.  
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    cazzy said:
    My wife and I work for the same marginalization. We use Microsoft Lync and her status ties into her calendar.  If she's "In a Meeting" or "Webex - Sharing Screen", I don't even bother messaging.  
    Yeah, I guess we have the same here too where the calendar is linked.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Not email goof but did have VP standing at door of my office venting about a warehouse employee. About 5 seconds in, said employee walks up behind him. VP continues, "I can't even walk back there cause I want to punch him" So employee says "Go ahead, I'm right here". Not a good moment for VP.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I'll tell you a goof...I was just looking and that picture from outlook and I clicked on the "X Delete" on the ribbon...in the picture after I was done reading it. 

k" done and apparently she was self conscious about it.  Her sister and my wife had the same name.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cazzy
    Options

Not email goof but did have VP standing at door of my office venting about a warehouse employee. About 5 seconds in, said employee walks up behind him. VP continues, "I can't even walk back there cause I want to punch him" So employee says "Go ahead, I'm right here". Not a good moment for VP.

#-o =))
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    VP is also owners son. It was glorious!
    Columbus IN
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I was once complaining about one of my employees to my assistant mgr and saying I needed to bust his ass over something. Well, of course I sent it to him rather than the mgr. Luckily, it was worded so that he thought I was complaining about someone else to him so I blew it off. I felt so bad I didn't have the heart to bust him.
  • fletcherfam
    Options
    At my former company a manager hit reply all to an email that included a subcontractor. In the email he plainly said the sub was an A-hole. The sub got the email, came in and when the manager went to apologize about it the sub said "its ok , you're right, i am an A-hole."
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    Mine was an IM goof too...we were on a conference call, and were discussing a major issue that would take many IT/Analyst hours to fix. I IM'd the speaker "Who was the idiot who f'd this up"? I forgot he was sharing his screen so it popped up...man was that embarrassing! I was lucky though, no trip to HR for me!

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

cazzy said:

His butt probably puckered so much he could crack a pecan.  

Oh wow. That is a good one. I called a customer a "whinny pu**y" in an email that got forwarded back to him from someone else in the company about 7 years ago.

He called me all mad and I said "well it's true". He called my boss to try to get me fired and he laughed. The guy was a real ass and what he didn't know is that we were about to cut him off anyway. We were the only company that could fill his needs and he had a multi Million dollar contract that hinged on us. Once we told him that if he didn't stop acting this way we would cut him off he settled down quite a bit. Turned out to be a good thing. I never apologized.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    I 'dumb thumbed' an e-mail two years ago and have been out of work ever since.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    No real face palms but as a previous IT Manager, I have had fun sending emails to a specific person only but modifying the "have replies sent to:" field to include others. That way when the recipient decides to be an ass with his reply, everyone I included gets to see it unless he pays attention to his header before hitting Send.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    I 'dumb thumbed' an e-mail two years ago and have been out of work ever since.
    Damn dude that sucks. Must have been a bad one.
    Columbus IN
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Academics are the worst for this kind of thing.  I don't know what it is - the fact that some of them are older or if people are just unusually oblivious.  But it happens ALL THE TIME.  Probably almost once a week some numbnut hits reply all.  Just goes to show you that having a PhD doesn't make you immune to idiocy.    

We get announcements about conferences all the time - most of them are ones we have no interest in attending.  Most of us have email addresses that are posted publicly and so they get picked up by spam bots.  Whatever - most of us just file this stuff right to trash.

But we had one not long ago and the conference organizer sent the email out twice.  It was a huge list of people on the email - thousands of academics at various colleges and universities.  So one faculty member at I don't know Susquehannah State or something replied to the email asking to be taken off the mailing list.  So we all saw his request - everyone on the original message.  Then someone else did the same thing.  Then a third.

Then some bright fellow told these guys that, they probably didn't realize it, but by replying to the email they were copying us all, inadvertently spamming us.  This would be great except that, in the process of telling them they had screwed up, he also hit reply all.

This, my friends, is why they don't give us access to the nuclear codes. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Replying to all is not my problem, but sending out a group email when pissed off definitely has it's embarrassing moments. Even though an email is embarrassing or has unintended consequences, the majority of people get a good laugh, so it's all good.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Academics are the worst for this kind of thing.  I don't know what it is - the fact that some of them are older or if people are just unusually oblivious.  But it happens ALL THE TIME.  Probably almost once a week some numbnut hits reply all.  Just goes to show you that having a PhD doesn't make you immune to idiocy.    

We get announcements about conferences all the time - most of them are ones we have no interest in attending.  Most of us have email addresses that are posted publicly and so they get picked up by spam bots.  Whatever - most of us just file this stuff right to trash.

But we had one not long ago and the conference organizer sent the email out twice.  It was a huge list of people on the email - thousands of academics at various colleges and universities.  So one faculty member at I don't know Susquehannah State or something replied to the email asking to be taken off the mailing list.  So we all saw his request - everyone on the original message.  Then someone else did the same thing.  Then a third.

Then some bright fellow told these guys that, they probably didn't realize it, but by replying to the email they were copying us all, inadvertently spamming us.  This would be great except that, in the process of telling them they had screwed up, he also hit reply all.

This, my friends, is why they don't give us access to the nuclear codes. 
    I have an email account set up at one of my clients that has over 70,000 employees and someone goofed and accidentally added "all employees" to a distribution list that was supposed to be much smaller.  I think it brought down the exchange servers for a while because so many replied to all asking to be removed from the list.  The really comical part was the number of people that replied to all stating "Don't reply to all!!!"  "Stop replying to all!!".  It was crazy...there literally thousands of emails commanding everyone to stop replying to all.  It was as though each person thought that their email would be the one that finally got the message across.  

Pro tip:  Open the message in outlook, Home Tab, Ignore Conversation.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Nice =)) #-o
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    So i had to go to London yesterday to run a few errands.  While in London I went to my favourite BBQ place this side of the border, so I sent Cherie an email of my lunch, I found her response funny.  I guess she thought I should be home helping with the domestic chores.

Gerhard

[IMG]image

Her response

then my response