Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bad day to have a gout attack

Options
All this good food in the office for Halloween,  supposed to go out drinking after work.  I guess it's water all day for me.
Mundelein, IL

Comments

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Is there a good day for gout?  Good luck with it.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Are you on any preventatives, like Allopurinol?  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    Options
    Here is the funny thing about gout.  Every bad attack is the worse one you've had.  I've had it in my foot, toe, knee and elbow.  Each time during the attack, I say this is the worse location ever.

Ultimately it all sucks and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.  My wife made me get on Allopurinol sometime back.  I definitely thank her for the push, as i'm very stubborn about stuff like this.
  • cazzy
    Options
    A buddy of mine wrote this:

G Monster doing his thing like it ain't no thing...                        

By J Morales

First and foremost, I don’t need pity; I don’t need an “aww” sound like you give puppies. I got the ****. I have gout. There I said it. It gout me.  You’re in the presence of a certified disease haver. I literally C- Walk all day long when I have this bastard gnawing at my joints. Crippled as **** and dragging feet like the Thriller video.  So therefore, I am Josh, and I suffer from Gout. Now where’s my gold coin?

Now, anyone out there that shares my pain, you have become my BFF as of yesterday. We can write poems about each other, encourage one another with our cherry bomb home remedies and send “Walk It Out” Balloons to the house.  Never in the history of planet earth has there been a disorder like one that fucks with you. We have the same lingo and we can direct anyone to the action with our very own MapQuest such as “it’s on the top” or “it’s on the side of the foot” almost insinuating there is a living parasite that you can physically see.  He’s in there tearing **** up just like a critter should. And 20x out of 20, we will proceed to tell you.."you don't understand".

But, it has been brought to my attention that we are comical when we have this feebleness. Like, people want to actually place the remote far away to see us in torment if we no longer want to watch the scheduled program. Bar bets are being placed to see who can limp the furthest and quickest or who will purchase the first Hoveround and Life Alert because falling is common practice to us assclowns. I have a friend that secretly wishes this upon me to find out where the G Monster is currently feasting.  Just like he is conducting a secret study on hopalongs. If so, I need my check. 

The rules say I cannot drink, smoke, be fat, or eat cauliflower. **** my life, then what can we do as sufferers. We can eat cherries and elevate our feet to the ceilings.  But it’s the excuse of excuses when we don’t want to go anywhere or places that suck. Therefore, when in doubt, we got gout. Now walk it out! Take us away UNK… as you were.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    edited October 2014
    Options

I suffered for years. Was on Allopurinal years back for a number of years. Given no attacks for a long time I stopped. Sure enough, it finally returned.

Most suffer the big tow. Me? Never. 

Ankles, Knees, Right wrist, 2nd toe but the left ankle was always the worst. I ate indomethicin during attacks to reduce the inflammation. I would drink the Cherry Juice. 

Finally, I said enough. Went to a Rheumatologist  Tried Allopurinal again and couldn't handle it so he prescribed Uloric. I want from a 10.4 uric acid count to sustaining in the low 3's. No attacks for a few years now. 

I do believe it would have ultimately crippled me given the joint destruction. 

I no longer drink beer. Tito's is my new vice. I avoid shellfish but will eat a shrimp on occasion. 

You can end the attacks. Schedule an apt. with a Rheumatologist today! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited October 2014
    Options
    EggPlant said:
    All this good food in the office for Halloween,  supposed to go out drinking after work.  I guess it's water all day for me.
    I guess they found the the designated driver for tonight! Get well soon.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Jonnysouth
    Jonnysouth Posts: 162
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Interesting thread...I just recently started having gout issues...my ankles lock up on me and I'm unable to walk...Dr.'s tell me it's not gout since it's not in my big toe...my dad has suffered from gout for many years...Dr. finally gave me some indomethicin and within 24 hrs I received a ton of relief! No warning either as to when it happens, go to bed just fine, wake up unable to walk.
  • THEBuckeye
    Options

Did both ankles flare at once? Mine never did that. I never had it in the big toe either. 

I always thought I had sprained my ankle somehow - never suspected gout. I would put my foot and ankle in buckets of ice water like back in the day of sprained ankles in basketball. 

Unless your doctor did a blood test to measure your uric acid levels he does not know for sure. 

It's a complete pain in the ass when it flares. I simply got tired of it. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Jonnysouth
    Options
    @THEBuckeye‌, is Uloric something you take on a regular basis to prevent the buildup of uric acid?
  • cazzy
    Options

Did both ankles flare at once? Mine never did that. I never had it in the big toe either. 

I always thought I had sprained my ankle somehow - never suspected gout. I would put my foot and ankle in buckets of ice water like back in the day of sprained ankles in basketball. 

Unless your doctor did a blood test to measure your uric acid levels he does not know for sure. 

It's a complete pain in the ass when it flares. I simply got tired of it. 
    Yeah, the best way to describe it in your ankle is like a grade 2 or 3 ankle sprain.  I've never had it in two ligaments, but I have had it jump from my toe to my ankle, or from my knee to my foot.
  • cazzy
    Options
    Interesting thread...I just recently started having gout issues...my ankles lock up on me and I'm unable to walk...Dr.'s tell me it's not gout since it's not in my big toe...my dad has suffered from gout for many years...Dr. finally gave me some indomethicin and within 24 hrs I received a ton of relief! No warning either as to when it happens, go to bed just fine, wake up unable to walk.
    Being that your pops has gout, i'd suspect you do too.  Go get tested and get control of it soon.  My procrastination with preventing future flare-ups scares me that I might be in for a world of hurt during my older years.  

I get warning signs, I feel it coming and start cleansing right away.  It's good to keep a food journal and try to find your trigger.  My friend is guarenteed a flare up if he eats Cheetos.  
  • THEBuckeye
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @jonnysouth

Yep. Every morning. There's a 40mg and and 80mg. I take the 80mg based on my size. Intially, the Doctor had me take both for a total of 120MG per day until the Uric Acid  stabilized. 

I'd tell the cost but I'm really not sure based on our plan. It's based off Cigna's actual cost for the drug on a monthly basis. Some months are free after given our plan. Some month's it can be upwards of $100 out of pocket. I know from a retail perspective it's not cheap. You could call your pharmacy and your plan to get an idea of price. 

Allopurinal has been around forever - and it's cheap, Hopefully that would work for you are properly diagnosed. 

There are no noticeable side effects once your on it for a bit. I went every three months for follow up blood tests then went to an every six month interval. He also measures the "C-reactive Protein" that designates levels of inflammation - another indicator of gout. 

For now, I believe I'll be taking it for the rest of my life. It's not an issue of getting within the normal ranges and then you can stop. 

My dad didn't have gout issues. I believe mine came from decades of Miller Lite! 

Hope this helps! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    I've been on Allopurinol (300MG per day) for 27 years - last attack was 24 years ago and was mild at that. Not a single attack since then!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • EggPlant
    Options

Luckily my attack is in the thumb area, but still painful as heck.   If it were around my ankles you would see a grown man crying.

I'm off and on with my Allopurilol, need to find my colcrys prescription

Mundelein, IL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    EggPlant said:

Luckily my attack is in the thumb area, but still painful as heck.   

My last attack 24 years ago was in my right wrist and the next day I was heading up a big meet and greet cocktail party to wine and wooo realtors. I knew shaking hands would take me to my knees so I wrapped my hand and put my arm in a sling so people would see I couldn't shake!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I have a good buddy who gets flare-ups - crazy to see a grown man in tears crawling across the floor to get to the bathroom. My brother gets it too.  I don't know much about it but I don't eat much red meat or drink.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • THEBuckeye
    Options
    @RRP

I was on a cross county flight with a flared wrist. It sucked! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    Options

I'd wear a wrist brace and extend my left hand telling people it was sprained. 

Gout is one of those "stigma" diseases.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• cazzy
    Options

I'd wear a wrist brace and extend my left hand telling people it was sprained. 

Gout is one of those "stigma" diseases.
    Yeah I would never tell people I had gout. I sprained my ankle was my typical response back then. I don't miss it one bit.
  • Jonnysouth
    Options
    It has never been both ankles at the same time. Generally starts out in my left Achilles Tendon...hurts so bad, feels so tight and then it moves around into my ankle area and top of foot. I've never had significant swelling but the pain is pretty darn intense...I've started to drink much more water and trying to clean up my eating habits.
  • THEBuckeye
    Options

I drink water all day and Tito's all night! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    As a medical provider..... There is never a good day for a gout attack!!! That crap sucks!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    Sorry for you guys, sounds awful :((
    Jacksonville FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Sorry to hear of the gout my friend. Why I do not have gout I do have have a crippling nerve disorder in my hands and feet that hurts so bad at times I will lose my breath. That said, there is never a good day to hurt. Never my friend. I wish you the very best of luck sir.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
    Allopurinol and you can eat and drink whatever you want. I had it in both feet after my back surgery and thought the doc cut my spinal cord. Worst experience ever and thoght I was permantly crippled. Was scared to death for about 72hrs. Doc had no clue why I had so main pain in my feet after surgery. All is well now!!
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Cherries are supposed to help. Might want to make that a daily regimen.
    Gittin' there...