Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Gamer Advice Needed

Options
Are you a video gamer? What system do you recommend? Wilma thinks Santa ought to get started early on electronic items like this.

How about some good family games? Shooter games aren't something the family is interested in, but perhaps I would. What other games are good?
Flint, Michigan

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I like Xbox personally and enjoyed Call of Duty and Madden games. Don't play much anymore, but I itch to often.

Xbox One will reduce in price in a next couple days.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    So XBox One is the ticket?
    Flint, Michigan
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Checkers
    Greensboro, NC
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    We are Playstation people. We have worn out 2 Playstation 1's, and 2 Playstation 2's. 

I no longer play, but my 16 year old does. He currently has a Playstation 3. I will be getting him a PS 4 soon. 

I have never had an Xbox so I can't speak for it. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I only play golf and tennis, sorry.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    Pong is awesome!!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    Get an Atari 2600 .....

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    Get an Atari 2600 .....
    I still have one, and it works. I also have a Sega Genesis. Those were good days!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    If you don't want violent games, consider a Wii. Nintendo is generally family friendly. Personally, I'm a playstation guy so I would go with the PS4.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @Fred19Flintstone‌. .the Xbox One hasn't really taken off due to the lack of games. The 360 is still popular. The Kinect video camera makes for some fun games. ..dance, sports. Call of Duty is a popular shooter game and there's many others. The ps3 has blu-ray as well as the Xbox One if that's important. Whatever you do..don't try Gears of War 3. ..I'll will open up the gates of hell and let the dogs of war loose on your ass.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    The age of the players could also be a factor. I'm an Xbox fan I like first person shooter games. It also has a lot of family games that my fam enjoys( you can look at the age appropriate numbers on the games) but playstation is good about this also. Now that I've been absolutely no help my son just got a Wii U and the family loves it. I would suggest going to best buy or a local " game store" where you can play with them side by side. They all have ups and downs personally I prefer xbox but that's just my opinion. Good luck!
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    There's no clear system that's "The one to get." Damn. I wish I knew more about 'em. Other than whatever I seem to play, I get my butt kicked. Kinda embarrassing really. We have an old Wii and Wilma thought Santa could upgrade us.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Right now, I'd say PS4 do to the variety offered plus the latest technology.
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    If you like the wii there's always the new wii u. I personally like playstation. It has a wider variety of games that are not shooters.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Also, I don't remember how old your daughter is but stay away from multi-player stuff unless it is a closed system with friends. There are a lot of (sexist, racist, etc) trolls and morons on many shooters and RPG that ruin the experience. My sister games and deals with this BS all the time. I personally think multi-player is kinda dumb so I mostly avoid it.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    My youngest is 6.  I'm not interested in multi-player unless they are sitting in the same room.  We try to stay on top of security issues.
    Flint, Michigan
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I have the Wii U, Xbox One and PS4.

Wii U is great for the fam. Xbox One and PS4 are neck and neck, but I believe the PS4 will have the better graphical games in 1-2 years. Even though PSN has improved, Xbox Live is by far the Superior online experience. Ultimately though, if you plan to play online, get the system that your friends are using so you can play with them. Or be a geek like me and buy all three. :D
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Don't get one at all would be my advice. If I could go back I wouldn't have let him get hooked on these systems.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    edited October 2014
    Options
    There's no clear system that's "The one to get." Damn. I wish I knew more about 'em. Other than whatever I seem to play, I get my butt kicked. Kinda embarrassing really. We have an old Wii and Wilma thought Santa could upgrade us.
    Both Xbox as PS4 are pretty much on par with each other. If it were me, I'd try to find out what his friends have so they can share games.

I still enjoy my Wii :)
    Aurora,OH
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    When my kids were younger( now 8&12 boys) we had a wii and really had fun with the family games like bowling, tennis etc... Now we have xbox kinect and they like to kick my butt in all the sports games. The kinect games like Wipeout and kinect sports, some dancing game I can't remember are still family fun.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    So XBox One is the ticket?
    I feel for the online experience.  It is far superior to the PS4.  PS4 has a lot of great technical features that are not on Xbox One.  I have always like the Xbox controllers.  It is the small things.  

For me, it is what I was used to.  I never had a PS.  Started out with Xbox and stayed with them.  

The Kinect feature is pretty nice too.  Voice commands is pretty sweet.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited October 2014
    Options
    We have an Xbox One and like it.  Kids have plenty of games to play and the Xbox Kinect is pretty cool for games that will get the kids up and moving.  It can be a pain in the ass sometimes logging in because of face recognition.  Not a plethora of games yet but a lot come out November.  I even get to play Battlefield 4 every once and a while once the kids are asleep.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Options
    We need a gamertag/psnid exchange thread. Glad to see so many gamers here. Anyone else picking up Halo MCC?
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I'm an Xbox One player, but I will probably pick up a PS4 when the Uncharted sequel comes out.

I don't see a whole lot of differences in the consoles gamewise.  Xbox has a distinct edge on media integration (they have finally added the ability to play external media and stream from the network without a hack).  The switching between games and TV is nice too.  If that's important, go Xbox. 

Otherwise, from a game perspective, the comments about get what you're friends have so you can play online is exactly right.
    NOLA
  • Taylorcw
    Options
    +1 for Xbox One. Although I mostly play shooting games (COD, TitanFall, etc,). Just got the Shadows of Mordor game and its a pretty nice RPG.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I have both Xbox1 and Ps4.  PS4 is more powerful and the graphics look better. The xbox one has a way better online experience and better media apps.

If I only had one I'd probably go with Xbox, but for hardcore games like Destiny I choose ps4 over xbox.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    My boys liked the Xbox, playing sports and shooter games online, whereas my daughter was happy with a Wii and the simple games it had. We also used the Xbox for internet access (Netflix) and as a DVD player.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    I have the PS4 and have always played on this platform. Its really personal preference. Both systems will serve the same purpose. There are some games that are exclusive to each platform. 

I personally prefer Sony's controller better the Xbox. The xbox controller feels too bulky.

I play:
    Madden 
    Call of Duty
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I would say ps4.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    GATABITES said:
    I have the PS4 and have always played on this platform. Its really personal preference. Both systems will serve the same purpose. There are some games that are exclusive to each platform. 

I personally prefer Sony's controller better the Xbox. The xbox controller feels too bulky.

I play:
    Madden 
    Call of Duty
    This is me as well, basically. I could never get used to the reversal of the D Pad and joystick from the Playstation controller.