Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lodge Dutch Oven - 5 Qt or 7 Qt?

Options
2»

Comments

• Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options
    grill4us said:
    @GOGOGORDY - Those short ribs look great - but I'm confused.  Is the lump in the very bottom of the egg?  And what type of lump is that on the lid?  

Thanks and yes it was tasty. That's Kamado brand coconut lump you see. Made in the Phillipines. This summer I made a fantastic buy on 30 16+ lb boxes of it off of CL. I gave half to my son, also a serial griller. The Lodge camp dutch oven I have is designed to sit over some lump AND hold some (2/3rds of the total) on its lid. The unit of measure is "briquets" as in Kingsford for this type of DO but these work just fine. Have also used for pizzas and even meat, and they're perfect for my Lodge Sportsmanship grill as well. They burn hot and....slow and are flavor/fragrance neutral unlike wood based fuels.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • grill4us
    grill4us Posts: 100
    Options
    I'm done torturing myself.  Just ordered the 7 Qt. Lodge DO and a trivet from Walmart.  I figure I can easily return it if I think it's too small.  I saw an enameled CI Cuisinart 7 qt. DO tonight at Marshals - it looked plenty big.  Almost got that one, but figured the regular CI is better with the egg.  Now I just need to start checking out some recipes......
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Good decision.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    So what is the biggest size Lodge dutch oven that can fit in the large?  I want to add it to my christmas list.   I'd like to get one with the recessed lid so I can also use it over a campfire and top it with coals easily....which also means I like having the hinged(?) handle that you can easily reach in with a thick stick, get under it and lift it off the fire.

I assume you cook this direct, at normal grid height?  (grate on top of the fire ring)

Thanks for any tips.  I'm glad i read this thread!  I was going to ask for the BGE one but reazlied that is only 5 qts and SGH would not approve.   Needs to be bigger!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    grill4us said:
    Now I'm leaning toward the Lodge 9 qt. L12D03 from KaTom.  That way I think I should have enough room for anything I'm interested in making.  And it should still fit on a Large Egg.  Have to sleep on it, but I'm pretty sure!  I only want to buy one of these babies.  Room for all my toys is a problem.  

I saw this "Have to sleep on it"....WTF

Why in the hell would you want to put that in your bed in order to determine if you want one or not?????? ...

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    If you get the 7 quart, it's lid will fit on the lodge 12 inch skillet. The 7 quart allows you to cook a big roast with veggies. Or you can cook a big chicken too.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • grill4us
    Options
    @KiterTodd - It sounds like you want a Camp DO - they have the legs on the bottom and the recessed lids.  I wanted the flat bottom because I want to be able to use it on a ceramic stovetop too.  In the end, I was between the 7 qt and 9 qt - both of which would have fit on the large Egg, but the 7 qt comes with handles and the 9 qt comes with the spiral handle bail.  I thought the handles would be easier to use if I want to put it in the oven.  I am retiring an 8 qt Calphalon DO - this CI pot will take it's place and will be used in the kitchen and on the egg.  
    But to answer your question - Check out the Lodge 10 qt. Deep Camp CI Dutch Oven - it is 14" in diameter and 5" deep so I would think it should fit on the large Egg whose diameter is 18.25 inches if you are using it on top of the cooking grate.  I'm just not sure if that's where you set it up with the Camp DO. If you check out GOGOGORDY's pics on this thread, he was using it much lower in the Egg - so there is my reservation with the Camp DO for sizing.  If they are cooked lower in the Egg than I really don't know.  Clear as mud, right?
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, grill4us.   I like everything about that 10 qt. except the legs.   I don't think I'd use it inside, but I think the legs would be a pain in the ass on grilling grates and if I every put it in the oven.

But, you did make me go look for myself.   I want the handle (spiral ball not required, but something like that) and yes, it looks like all of their "camp stoves" have the recessed lid I want but all the Dutch Ovens have the raised lid.   Hmmm...i guess I can't get the best of both worlds at Lodge anyway.

They make a 5, 7 and 9 qt. with a spiral ball handle and no legs.   I guess I want one of those, then!
    Lodge...
    LBGE/Maryland
  • EgginATL42
    Options
    I broke in the new Lodge 5qt DO with a chili cook yesterday (my first chili of any kind, BGE or otherwise). The 5 quart was just big enough (my kids didn't want to try it, so it was just for me and my wife). If I ever need to cook for a large crowd, I kit need something a little bigger. As Alton Brown said, the good thing about cast iron is that it's relatively cheap, so you can have one in every size. Pic of the chili...
    Wear wood ewe hand eye bee width know spill Czech her???
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Wait until those Texas boys see those beans :))
    Jacksonville FL
  • EgginATL42
    Options
    Dobie said:

Wait until those Texas boys see those beans :))

That was the topic of some heated conversations last week. My wife is of the opinion that without beans it's "meat sauce", and I'm in the "if it has beans it's not chili, it's bean soup" camp. So I decided that as I live with my wife and I don't live with any Texans, one can of beans in the mix was a good compromise.
    Wear wood ewe hand eye bee width know spill Czech her???
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    I put beans in my chili but thems fightin words to some here.
    Jacksonville FL
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Man  the Lodge 7qt. is a big ....gonna make a large boule

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• grill4us
    Options
    It is - I'm glad I didn't get a larger size - the 7 qt. should handle what I dish out!
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I made a double batch of smoked chicken and deer sausage gumbo this weekend. It took 3 quarts of liquids and about 3 lbs of meat. The 7 quart was the perfect size for this cook. Glad I got the 7 in the Dutch. I picked up a 2 quart chicken fryer, with a lid, for the small batches. It's perfect.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • KiterTodd
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Gogogordy said:
    Cooked these short ribs in my 12 qt "camp Dutch oven" this weekend....
    Gordy, came back to your photos which I had overlooked last time.  I was originally thinking that a camp DO with legs would not work on top of the grates (is that correct?)  I just figured all the legs would never fit through equally and I wouldn't end up with it resting flat.   However...

...the reason I am interested in legs is for actually campfire cooking, which you recreate nicely here in the egg.  That's great!  Is there a science to the amount of lump above and below the DO or can I just build a fire in my LBGE, let the lump light equally and then just set the DO down in the lump, picking up some pieces to put on the lid?  Seems to work in a campfire, anyway.   Thanks for any tips.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Gogogordy
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Gogogordy said:
    Cooked these short ribs in my 12 qt "camp Dutch oven" this weekend....
    Gordy, came back to your photos which I had overlooked last time.  I was originally thinking that a camp DO with legs would not work on top of the grates (is that correct?)  I just figured all the legs would never fit through equally and I wouldn't end up with it resting flat.   However...

...the reason I am interested in legs is for actually campfire cooking, which you recreate nicely here in the egg.  That's great!  Is there a science to the amount of lump above and below the DO or can I just build a fire in my LBGE, let the lump light equally and then just set the DO down in the lump, picking up some pieces to put on the lid?  Seems to work in a campfire, anyway.   Thanks for any tips.

Funny you ask....there are Dutch oven/Camp oven forums aplenty....as well as numerous Camp Oven and Dutch Oven "societies". Serious bunch about cooking with cast iron....makes even the most OCD egger look like a mere first-timer to egging in comparison. Anyway, from my many hours of leisurely research I found that there are numerous charts in relation to temps, and cook methods: fry, sauté, bake, braise etc but to boil it down (pun intended) each "briquet" contributes between 10-20 degrees of heat. -and yes the Kingsford briquet is king in that world. The trick is whether the coals go under, over, or a combination of both (most typical it seems). Underneath is best for fry/sauté, and almost all slow cooking/baking is 2/3rds on top and 1/3 below. The upper lump is a much bigger deal than I previously thought, hence the flanged lid! For my short ribs, I used 15 or 16 coconut lump briquettes (consistently sized but slightly larger than Kingsford coals) with my 8 qt Lodge Camp Oven...initially all below for the browning process, then moved and kept 10 on the top, and 5 or 6 below. (This equated to roughly 350 deg.) I more recently cooked an Italian Porketta in the same fashion, but since it did not involve any liquids I used 12 coals, 4 below and 8 on top....no initial browning. It was delicious and moist doing another this weekend in fact....Tongs are imperative for coal tending and moving them around, etc. and adding new as they expire etc is also part of the deal, and part of the fun. This is largely "not a set it and forget it" process I'm finding out. I hope this long winded reply didn't put you to sleep.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • KiterTodd
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Gogogordy said:
    ...This is largely "not a set it and forget it" process I'm finding out. I hope this long winded reply didn't put you to sleep.
    No, VERY interesting.  Thanks.   I had not idea people tech'd out so much on DO cooking.   I figured it was just a boy scout thing...you know, what kind of cake mix and random canned fruit can you throw in cast iron and get something decent to come out.   :))  I also didn't realize you could get a complete cook out of so few briquettes laid down with precision like that!   That's not how I cook....I'm more of the "set it and forget it" and was thinking of this as more of a crock pot on top of coals.  Which is how I'll use it...or attempt to!

LBGE/Maryland
  • Gogogordy
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Gogogordy said:
    ...This is largely "not a set it and forget it" process I'm finding out. I hope this long winded reply didn't put you to sleep.
    No, VERY interesting.  Thanks.   I had not idea people tech'd out so much on DO cooking.   I figured it was just a boy scout thing...you know, what kind of cake mix and random canned fruit can you throw in cast iron and get something decent to come out.   :))  I also didn't realize you could get a complete cook out of so few briquettes laid down with precision like that!   That's not how I cook....I'm more of the "set it and forget it" and was thinking of this as more of a crock pot on top of coals.  Which is how I'll use it...or attempt to!

At the end of the day, like with these Kamados, it's probably hard to screw up so bad you produce something less then delicious (ok....maybe tasty+) so have at it. I'm not real detailed either, more of a seat of the pants type but the temp info was useful. Pictures or it didn't happen.......