Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seal Around EGG

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am always replacing the felt seal around my egg. Seems the material that is supplied just doesn't stand up. It shrinks then loses it's stickiness and falls off. Any ideas?

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Anthony Mercurio, what do you mean by "always"? How long are you getting between replacements? I've had my egg now for three months and it shows no sign of wear on the felt. How many cooks are you getting between replacement? Are you always doing high temps? Always doing long and low cooks?

• Wise One,[p]I've used the egg 10 -12 times and then the felt needs replacing. I do run high temps at times and clearly the high temps kill the felt right a way. Is there a better felt that can be used?

• Patrick in Minnesota
    Options
    Anthony Mercurio, This seems odd...I've owned my Egg for about 4 years, and use it weekly...I've never had to replace the felt seal.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Anthony Mercurio,[p]""I do run high temps at times and clearly the high
    temps kill the felt right a way. ""[p]That's BS (in a nice way). I have gone to 1200 deg or more and I have had my Egg for over a year and a half and NEVER - NEVER replaced my felt. I grill 80% of the time and do 575 deg pizza often and I have never had even a slight problem. I keep all grease, oil, fat, etc off my seal and I think that is a real help. You might tell us how you have attached "them" in the past as that must be your problem. [p]I will let others guide you as I have never replaced one yet - and may never. [p]
    Tim

• Tim M,[p]I would appreciate the help. I have a medium egg and just added the new locking brace. My problem may be caused by the fact that the brace doesn't seem the allow the egg to shut completely in the rear. I've adjusted to the best I can. [p]It could also be the grease as you point out. I'll next time I'll try to keep it clean.[p]Do you find that you have to clean the rim before you add new felt?[p]Thanks.

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Anthony Mercurio,
    By all means clean the rim. Otherwise the felt won't adhere properly. 3M makes a 'Rust and Paint Remover' wheel for a power drill that works nicely. When you replace the felt, make sure that none of it extends over the inner edge of the Egg. Even low temp cooks will fry any part of it that's in the interior.[p]I've only had to replace my gasket once in 2 1/2 years. That being after a 1200F experience that kind of got away from me. There really is no reason to go much above 750F for anything.[p]With proper installation and reasonable care, the BGE gaskets should last several years at least.[p]JimW

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Anthony Mercurio,[p]Others can help you better with reglueing the seal since I have never done one yet. I have a replacement but have never needed it. I do know that you never use a solvent but you must get the old one up cleanly. A putty knife is almost always mentioned as the tool of choice. Then its just glue and seal. Not sure what glue is best - I would choose a high heat silicone if it was mine but others here may know for sure. A call to BGE would also be quite safe to do. 1-888-929-3447 [p]As far as the top goes. Close the dome, loosen all bolts on top and bottom. If you don't break one doing this - it was probably not torqued enough and when you retighten it make the bolt actually bend - that's tight enough then. While its all loose, make sure the stud and dimple (this is as good a name as anything I can think of)are properly matched in the front near the handle on both bands. Now make sure the dome is sitting flush all around. Push it down if you have to but make it seal tightly all around. Then work the bottom band down as much as you can. Hold it down evenly all around and snug it tight. Now do that for the top band - pushing it up but don't move that dome. Snug it and look at the band - then tighten it TIGHT.[p]That should provide a perfect seal every time now.[p]Tim
  • Billy
    Billy Posts: 68
    Options
    Anthony Mercurio,
    Use Rutland fiberglass stove gasket. Menards has it. It comes in round or flat. Get the flat. It is much better than the felt.Billy