Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mattress question

Options

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I got a king temper peptic a few years ago. I got one of the cheaper $3k ones. I'll never not have one.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • TNegg
    TNegg Posts: 89
    Options
    We saved money by getting an off brand memory foam but spent extra on getting a foundation that lets you lift the head like a hospital bed.  Keeping the head a few inches higher than the foot of the bed helps my neck. We love it.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    henapple said:

Which one though?

Which Tempurpedic? No idea what we ended up with, it wasn't the cheapest but in the bottom half of the range. I think it has maybe two foam layers. Some of them got pretty ridiculous and we thought that simpler would be better, it also felt better to us. We prob spent two hours in the store laying on them trying to pick.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Which one goes better with bacon?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Am I the only one with a waterbed?

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    I've never had back problems (I lift the entire stack of weights on the gym's Nautilus back machines) but I'm amazed, since buying a Tempurpedic about three years ago, how I wake up in the morning and simply have no desire to "snooze" more before getting up; I wake up and I'm ready to hop out of bed, stub my toe on the dresser, and throw the butt on the Egg.  I really sleep well on these expensive things, and I'm glad I coughed up the coin.   :-bd

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Mclayborn79
    Options
    I have an englander latex mattress. Fantastic!!!!
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    henapple said:
    Evidently it's not acceptable to try the reverse cowgirl in the showroom. He said to try it out.
    They should be more specific when they say "try it out." 

That was funny! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    We went to the Atlanta home show and they had the temperpedic really half off. They were display models but they had the dual adjustable gel queen sized models that were $5k at the time for $2500. We went on a Sunday so all the top of the line ones had sold signs but we will be getting one next time the show comes.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Oy vey. I feel bad for you all. I'm still cruising on my 400 dollar Serta from Costco. Not looking forward to the day I'm in your shoes.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I felt bad for me as well shelling out $4,500, but waking up pain free is well worth the cost. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

I felt bad for me as well shelling out $4,500, but waking up pain free is well worth the cost. 

Absolutely. Time and time again I hear "best decision I've ever made" about the right mattress. Hell, I'd bet some of you would trade an Egg before your mattress.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    I kind of work in the industry (I manage case goods/upholstery furniture store, we have a sister store that does strictly mattresses).  When talking to the mattress guys they say back pain is the hardest part of selling a mattress and that it really is a customer feel thing.  Go to a place that gives you a decent trial period.  We do a 30 day for cash refund and up to 365 for exchange to another mattress, for the trial period.  Don't get suckered by a long warranty,  all high end mattresses are at least 15-20 years any more, but read the fine print.  Also mattress salesmen are shady so shop around and use quotes against one and other to get the best deal.

That said we went tempurpedic 3 years ago when we went from queen size to king.  Life changer, we have the cloud supreme model but they always change.   Now they have cooling technology, adjustable air, hybrid mattresses (shorter coils with a memory foam/gel topper) so many options out there.  Adjustable bases are good because it can reduce pressure on the back (think the perfect recliner).    
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Tempurpedic cloud. Love it.
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    For me, TempurPedic is the best, hands down. I have slept on SN beds several times and conventional good mattresses. We have had out TP for over 10 years and it is the same as the day we bought it. Back pain gone. Hips and shoulders the same. Whenever we travel, we want to get back to the TP.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    I kind of work in the industry (I manage case goods/upholstery furniture store, we have a sister store that does strictly mattresses).  When talking to the mattress guys they say back pain is the hardest part of selling a mattress and that it really is a customer feel thing.  Go to a place that gives you a decent trial period.  We do a 30 day for cash refund and up to 365 for exchange to another mattress, for the trial period.  Don't get suckered by a long warranty,  all high end mattresses are at least 15-20 years any more, but read the fine print.  Also mattress salesmen are shady so shop around and use quotes against one and other to get the best deal.

That said we went tempurpedic 3 years ago when we went from queen size to king.  Life changer, we have the cloud supreme model but they always change.   Now they have cooling technology, adjustable air, hybrid mattresses (shorter coils with a memory foam/gel topper) so many options out there.  Adjustable bases are good because it can reduce pressure on the back (think the perfect recliner).    

I'd love to hear if someone has collected on a warranty.  When our mattress sagged and got uncomfortable, we called on the warranty.  The indentation has to be a certain number of inches, which we could never get to.  The kicker is that they test the mattress with no one on it.  I'm not an engineer but it struck me as pretty worthless to judge a spring's function by looking at it!

We bought a Verlo mattress last year.  If it's not comfortable in the first year they'll pick it up and adjust it for free.  Any time you own the mattress you can have it adjusted for a fee.  Haven't had it long enough to see how it works out though.

Tl;dr: mattress warranty covers mattress falling apart, but does not cover comfort or function.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • marysvilleegger
    Options
    blind99 said:

U_tarded said:

I'd love to hear if someone has collected on a warranty.  When our mattress sagged and got uncomfortable, we called on the warranty.  The indentation has to be a certain number of inches, which we could never get to.  The kicker is that they test the mattress with no one on it.  I'm not an engineer but it struck me as pretty worthless to judge a spring's function by looking at it!

We bought a Verlo mattress last year.  If it's not comfortable in the first year they'll pick it up and adjust it for free.  Any time you own the mattress you can have it adjusted for a fee.  Haven't had it long enough to see how it works out though.

Tl;dr: mattress warranty covers mattress falling apart, but does not cover comfort or function.

My wife and I actually got a warranty on a pillow top with memory foam about 2 yrs ago. U are right in that they send a tech out to measure the dip with a string going across the mattress and then they have a block of wood that has to be able to slide under it for it to be covered under warranty. The tech then has to take a pic of the block under the string. Ours wasn't making the qualifications until I reached over and pushed down on the mattress while he took his pic. I slipped the guy a 20 on the way out the door!
    <:-P
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I have noticed, especially on the Sleep Numbers, they have a 30 day guarentee.  That maybe something to look into @henapple.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

My wife and I actually got a warranty on a pillow top with memory foam about 2 yrs ago. U are right in that they send a tech out to measure the dip with a string going across the mattress and then they have a block of wood that has to be able to slide under it for it to be covered under warranty. The tech then has to take a pic of the block under the string. Ours wasn't making the qualifications until I reached over and pushed down on the mattress while he took his pic. I slipped the guy a 20 on the way out the door! <:-P
    you are a smart man!!!!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I have noticed, especially on the Sleep Numbers, they have a 30 day guarentee.  That maybe something to look into @henapple.  
    My sleep number came with a 24 month warranty. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    It comes with a 2 year full warranty and is prorated for the next 18.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    We are shopping for a mattress so this post came at a perfect time. First went to Sleepy's, and only tested the Temperpedics. Next went went to Sleep Number. We ar ss old on the Temperpedics, hands down. We are between two models. Crazy cash for a bed but we are ready to make the jump.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • SloppyJoe
    Options
    I love my Tempurpedic. Me and the misses have done a lot of exercising on ours and it's still like new after ten years.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    SloppyJoe said:
    I love my Tempurpedic. Me and the misses have done a lot of exercising on ours and it's still like new after ten years.

Congrats. I hope this relieves her back and knee pain and will therefore make her more receptive to the horizontal bop.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Another reason I love my sleep number. I did a lot of physical work on Saturday. I was sore on Sunday. I woke up at 2 AM on Monday and my lower back hurt. 

I changed my sleep number from 40 to 45. At 6 AM when I got up my back was a lot better and almost fine. By lunch it was totally fine. 

Before the Sleep Number if it hurt at 2 AM it would be a killer at 6 AM. 

That alone is worth the price of admission. 

• Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Hen to Hen......what Leroy said is true. We no longer wake with back aches after getting our Sleep Number mattress.  I do want to point out one negative but it doesn't make it sleep any differently. We have the king size and it consists of two air mattresses enclosed in the zipped area. The negative is that the area on the pillowtop between the air mattresses does not compress. It has a hump in the middle and sinks on the two sides. It looks ugly!  To get around that we bought a 3" memory foam and put it inside under one of their foams. Now it stays straight.  I hope this helps. If you have any questions, please ask.  Go for the best one you can afford because it is a lifelong investment.  We got the top of the line in the Performance series but they have even better ones now.  Good luck.
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    The good thing is all the beds are ordered and made. Supposedly they take complaints and improve on them. The new bed air bags are sewn together and we're looking at a gel top so we'll see. Good to see you. Looking forward to seeing the Spring family in March.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    My sleep number came with a 24 month warranty. 
    @johnkitchens and @henapple Sorry, I was referring to the money back guarentee if you're not satisfied.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

@henapple - We've had SN i10 for the last 4 years.  Before purchasing the i10,we bought a Westin Heavenly Bed, and used it about 3 months.  We then decided to spend more on a bed than I ever woulda thought.  We've had 0 issues with the bed, and I recommend it highly.  No problems sleeping or waking up rested here.  I also strongly recommend the adjustable base.  There is a perfect position with the head and feet slightly elevated that takes all the weight off the spine.  Try it in the store.  Also great for watching the tube in bed. They have made some improvements over the years.  This thing is incredibly comfortable - separate hardness settings for each side.  I'm a 45, GFU has her own setting.

We bought the SN after recommendations from friends.  The Heavenly was OK, and now lives in our guest room.  If I were to do it again, I'd take the plunge and get the SN without hesitation.  Coulda saved @$2000.

Santa Paula, CA