Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bloody Mary's!! (OT)

Options
butert
butert Posts: 202
As of late I have been drinking bloody mary's.  I had one at a friends house last weekend and he infused the vodka with basil, it was the best bloody mary i've ever had.

Anybody else have some different yet good bloody mary recipes?
Cooking on a XL BGE from Allendale, Mi.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I really love Bloody Bulls! I use Mr & Mrs T's mix, add vodka and celery salt plus some of my au jus. Here's that recipe:

RRP's Au Jus Recipe 

This began as a basic recipe off internet which I tweaked many many times so it's mine!

1  14 oz Swanson Beef Broth (box – not the can)
    1  10-1/2 ounce can of Campbell's French Onion soup
    ½  of the soup can cold water
    1  Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1   teaspoon of garlic salt
    2   Wyler’s brand beef bouillon cubes

Bring ingredients to a boil in saucepan, letting it boil for 1 minute then
    strain and discard onions.  Serve au jus dipping sauce hot. Can be made 2
    days ahead.  Makes 3 cups.  BTW I also make a batch of this and then pour

it in large ice cube trays. Two melted cubes make a wonderful Bloody Bull!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • damnedhooligan
    Options
    Inspired by a bar in Los Angeles:
    2 oz vodka
    3 oz spicy or regular V8
    1 dash lemon juice
    1 dash lime juice
    1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    2 - 3 drops Tabasco® sauce
    1 pinch horseradish
    1 pinch mustard (Guldens, Dijon if you’re fancy)
    1tsp olive juice
    pinch of pepper
    pinch of celery salt
    kabob of 2 lime slices, 2 cocktail olives, 2 lemon slices and most important 2 pickled green beans

XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    i never follow a recipe but always have tomao juice, clam juice, worcester, horseraddish, black pepper, celerysalt, stick of celery,tobasco, and sometimes boiled shrimp hanging on top, greenolives
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    the two biggest factors I've found that impact quality are
    • throw away the horseradish in your fridge and buy a fresh jar (not horseradish sauce).  the brands in the refrigerated deli section are usually more potent - flavor, not just heat.  add a healthy amount, but to your taste
    • same thing for bloody mary mix, it doesn't seem to age well

other things that I do that suit my taste
    • plenty of pickled veg - okra, green beans and onions work really well
    • celery salt and ground black pepper mixed in and also just a little float of each
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I used to mix up my own bloody marys (a few secrets being very finely chopped onions, ground cardemon, fresh ground pepper, lots of ice and lots of lemon/lime) but I found that they were not worth the effort once I found a mix I liked.  Problem was, as soon as you made a nice bloody mary someone else would want one, and about that time you were done with yours, so it was time to make another... and it became this assembly line where the process was a lot longer than it took to enjoy the cocktail!

ZingZang bloody mary mix is all I need these days.  Has everything I would want in a bloody and is great right out of the bottle.  I have not found its equal in higher end or mass produced mixes.  So I've stopped looking.  :)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    +1 on Zing Zang

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • damnedhooligan
    Options
    @KiterTodd, all you need to do is add vokda and pickled veggies with ZingZang??? What about lime, celery salt, Worcestershire sauce or horseradish?

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited October 2014
    Options
    We use zinging, but I still add the stuff @damnedhooligan mentioned. And a few drops of hot sauce. Top it off with some shrimp like a shrimp cocktail, some pickled veggies and you got yourself an appetizer and a drink.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    I used to mix up my own bloody marys (a few secrets being very finely chopped onions, ground cardemon, fresh ground pepper, lots of ice and lots of lemon/lime) but I found that they were not worth the effort once I found a mix I liked.  Problem was, as soon as you made a nice bloody mary someone else would want one, and about that time you were done with yours, so it was time to make another... and it became this assembly line where the process was a lot longer than it took to enjoy the cocktail!

ZingZang bloody mary mix is all I need these days.  Has everything I would want in a bloody and is great right out of the bottle.  I have not found its equal in higher end or mass produced mixes.  So I've stopped looking.  :)
    you make pitchers of bloody marys, never one at a time
    :)) making one defeats the whole purpose of sitting back and enjoying the morning. make a pitcher and leave the hotsauce out to the side
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Agree with ZingZang, also use Mr/Mrs T depending on what's available.  Also agree with Griffin, we still doctor it, at a minimum we add lime, worcestershire, pepper, tabasco, celery salt and horseradish.  It's never easy, always an event and yes, agree with KiterTodd that everyone wants on so we just line up the red cups from the beginning.  Ice goes in last for us, so if we over-make, we just hold on the ice and they become part of round 2.

Too many local small brand bloody mary mixes in my opinion that suck.
  • damnedhooligan
    Options
    Not sure if anyone has seen this blog/site before about Bloody Marys. They have some cool recipes   http://www.drunkentomato.com/

• Dillonjm
    Dillonjm Posts: 229
    Options
    I am also a big fan of ZingZang mix. It's definitely one of the better ones out there. I also use Bay Vodka for our Bloody Mary's. Vodka infused with Chesapeake Bay seasoning. I also make some crispy bacon and put it in the drink with some celery.

Bay Vodka
    ZingZang Mix
    Dash or two of Old Bay Seasoning
    Some crispy bacon
    celery
    Add whatever your heart desires to taste
    Backyard BBQ Dude
    1 L BGE - 1 Minimax - 1 Recteq

Northern VA
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    OJ, tequila, grenadine! Garnish w an orange slice. Wait...that's a tequila sunrise, my morning drink.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options

My go to

Bacon Bloody Mary

• 1 ½ ounces vodka
    • 4 ounces tomato juice
    • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    • 1-2 dashes of hot sauce
    • Juice of half a lemon
    • ½ teaspoon dried ground horseradish
    • 1 or 2 slices of cooked bacon
    • 1 celery stalk
    • A sprinkle of seasoned salt and fresh ground black pepper
    Rim a cocktail glass with the seasoned salt and ground black pepper. Add bacon to the glass, fill halfway with ice and pour vodka over it. Allow to sit for a few minutes so the flavors absorb. In a cocktail shaker, combine the remaining ingredients, shake well, then pour into the cocktail glass. Garnish with a stalk of celery. For the non-alcoholic version, simply remove the vodka and follow the rest of the recipe
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • KiterTodd
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @KiterTodd, all you need to do is add vokda and pickled veggies with ZingZang??? What about lime, celery salt, Worcestershire sauce or horseradish?
    It doesn't need anything.
    I'll throw something in for garnish and fun (stalk of c, pickled string bean, whatever) and an extra wedge of lemon or lime just because I like it.  But honestly, it is good to go as-is for me!

If you like them particularly hot you could add hot sauce, but for me bloody's are more about flavor than heat.  You add some Old Bay on the ring and guests will assume the entire thing is home made.  And since I like them with a lot of citrus, ZingZang is good because it has more lime than most.

I figure, if a mix requires too much doctoring, it's not the right mix.  Keep looking!

fishlessman, that's good logic. Make a pitcher.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    +1 zing zang is the best commercially available mix if you like "thicker" bloody Mary's. My in-laws tend to like red colored vodka so thin you can almost see through it- so they use 1/3 zing zang and a bunch of water. To each their own.
    Greensboro, NC
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    almost a bloody mary but look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesar_(cocktail). Honestly if you can find Clamato in your area try it, or just a spoonful of clam broth with your regular mix if that's easier to find. Don't forget to rim with celery salt as well. As for true bloody mary mixes I really like Ditkas Bloody mike mix. I've found it in places other than Chicago, its really thick and makes for a good breakfast drink.
  • EgginATL42
    Options
    Another +1 on the ZingZang. Although, my bartender had me try a different brand that was even better than ZingZang, but the next time I went in they were out and she couldn't remember the brand.
    Wear wood ewe hand eye bee width know spill Czech her???
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited October 2014
    Options
    We love bloody buddies . . . STIRRINGS bloody mix is good but STIRRINGS simple Margarita mix (real lime juice) is amazing.

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    making bloodys today and found nice write-up from serious eats that reviews many brands.  Turns out my recomendation (stirrings) was the only negative review - opps!

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • EgginATL42
    Options
    Made one this afternoon with the ZingZang and Anchor Bar suicide sauce that are in he chili that is simmering right now.
    Wear wood ewe hand eye bee width know spill Czech her???
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    EgginATL42, funny you should mention that.   I have a friend that makes great chili and one of her secrets is she dumps in a 1/2 bottle of ZingZang!   It is good chili...

Hey, tomorrow morning is Sunday.   Now that's a good day for a Bloody Mary.  I think I will have one.

LBGE/Maryland
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I found ZingZang locally in spite of no reply from their website for three days. I will finish off an open bottle of M/M T's in the refrig tomorrow using it for our favorite Bloody Bulls as I mentioned before. The one recent comment about it being sweet tasting bothers me, but I hope my au jus preference will tone that aspect down. I like variety in taste for some things, but consistency that I know I can dial back in when I want to is even more important and reassuring!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    RRP, I hope you like the ZingZang.  I do not find it to be sweet and found that odd when I read it in those reviews.  I had a Bloody at a restaurant today and their mix was awful it was so sweet.   But, they did rim the glass with bacon salt so I took one for the team and got through the cocktail.  ;)

I like a mix with good flavor and a solid lemon/lime citrus and for me ZZ fills the bill.  But, if we put it on too high of a pedestal, it is sure to fail, so just go into it knowing that it is complete crap and you just wasted 5 bucks!

LBGE/Maryland