Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon Cheeseburgers and an update

Options

Some of you might have been wondering where we've been and why we haven't been posting much...and then again some of you might not care. So I thought I'd give ya a bit of an update.

Mrs. G is in her third trimester and doing great. Still expecting around Christmas day. Getting big and Baby Griffin has been super active. Mrs. G has seem to hit a spot where she's just tired all the time, but still good and we're super excited. I got super lucky and she hasn't had an aversion to grilled or 'Qued food so far. Knock on wood.

About a month ago, we had a huge plumbing issue in our house. Kitchen/laundry room area. We were told the whole kitchen and laundry room was going to have to be demoed and redone. Thankfully, it was just a rent house and while our landlord was bat $hit crazy, she was also super nice and let us out of the lease. Or maybe she was required to as the work probably couldn't be done with us in the house? Or with access to a kitchen. Not to mention finding mold behind the dry walls.

Ever had one week to find a new place to live, pack up all your $hit and move? With a very pregnant wife? Not fun, let me tell you, not fun at all. But we did it and are settling in to our new little place. Hopefully the last rent house until we buy (which we were getting ready to do until that wrench in our plans)

So throw in a week for moving, then the next weekend with her mom and sister and neice staying with us for Mrs. G's baby shower followed by me working the last weekend and you can see why we really haven't egged anything much in about a month. Might have been some steaks and a few other simple things. Man...looking back its been hectic!

I've been craving some egged food and Mrs. G gave me a call yesterday asking for burgers. Said she thought she needed the iron. Who am I to argue? Just for the heck of it, I changed my routine and went 350F raised direct. Buns on (we usually do them last)

Patties and some cheddar cheese. The woman behind the deli counter really screwed up the cheese!! Not a whole slice in the package and I never looked till it was time to put them on the patties. X(

Hey look...we got granite!! Bacon cheeseburger with all the fixin's, some doctored up canned beans and some tater chips to go along wit.

So, not a big fan of burgers at 350 raised. Took much longer and while they were done to our liking, didn't really get that nice and browned up exterior crust. But beats Mickey Dee's by a million miles and Whataburger as well.

Finally have a weekend off, yard work is already done. Think I'm gonna relax, have a few dozen cold ones, watch Baylor and maybe do a brisket. Don't think I've done one all year. :(

Sorry for rambling on there...

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Checked my phone. Yep, there was a steak cook in there. Mashed taters, salad on the side and a glass of red wine.image

Rowlett, Texas

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    First off, nice looking burger. Second it's funny how things change. You want to be out of rent and into ownership. At my point in life I would like to rent (wife will have no part of it).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Options
    Thanks @Mickey. Got another one for my lunch today. I'm just tired of giving my money to somebody else and not having anything to show for it.

Rowlett, Texas

• EggObsessed
    Options
    Thanks for catching us up, Jason.  So glad Mrs. G is still humming along in her pregnancy!  The burgers look great!  Hope you found a place for the beautiful outdoor table that you made out of pallets.  Are y'all liking your new digs?  
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Griffin
    Options
    Thanks @EggObsessed. Unfortunately no on the table. Much smaller patio and back yard at this house. The table is in the garage with about 1 billion boxes stacked up on top of it. There just wasn't room on the patio. :( The new house has its pros and cons. Nicer kitchen. Like the layout of the house. Less yard to mow and a sprinkler system. Small patio. Closer to work for me and it cut my commute in half with no tollways. I think it might be a bit smaller house, less storage so the garage is filled with boxes of stuff that really didn't get used all that often. Think it might be time to downsize, have a garage sale and get rid of all the "stuff". Its amazing what you accumulate over time and you "think" you need, but really don't.

Rowlett, Texas

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Thanks @Mickey. Got another one for my lunch today. I'm just tired of giving my money to somebody else and not having anything to show for it.
    Couldn't agree more Griff! SWMBO and I are in the process of buying our first home. Took 3 years of saving up and giving other people our money, but now it's our time. Congrats on the new place and it's great to see your cooks again.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Man that's one hell of a roller coaster ride you have been on the past month.  Glad the the Ms and the baby are doing well.  Better hurry up and try and get as much egging in as possible.  I'm sure the egging will drop off a bit once the baby arrives.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    @Griffin, great news on Baby G!  It is getting close man and the time will fly by.  I wish ya'll the best in the next coming weeks.  Your wife will become more tired as the time gets near.  

On the bad note, your situation sounds like it really stunk.  Sounds like you took the lemons and made lemonade with them though.  

The cook looks great.  I love a nice grilled burger (though my wife isn't much of a burger fan).  

Good luck and Egg on!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Griffin
    Options

Thanks guys.

@tarheelmatt I heard a comedian say the other day something along the lines of why does everybody want to make lemonade when life gives you lemons. I'd be making something else out of it. Not sure what else to make with them, but I thought it was funny and it stuck in my head. Maybe lemon bars? Lemon ice cream/gelato?

Rowlett, Texas

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,054
    Options
    Looks tasty! I had a burger from a restaurant last night and it was awful. I need to grill some up again soon. Congrats on the great progress with the little one!! :D
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Griffin said:

Thanks guys.

@tarheelmatt I heard a comedian say the other day something along the lines of why does everybody want to make lemonade when life gives you lemons. I'd be making something else out of it. Not sure what else to make with them, but I thought it was funny and it stuck in my head. Maybe lemon bars? Lemon ice cream/gelato?

Haha.. Funny you said that.  The morning talk show DJ said he was going to dress in a shirt that reads "LIFE" and hand out lemons to people for Halloween.  Thought that was neat.  

On another part, my wife made a lemon curd trifle one time that was outstanding.  Also, my mom makes a helluva lemon meringue pie.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Looking good Griff. Christmas baby...that's a gift that will never be topped. We have one coming in February and we move into our new house in less than a month. Looks like all be doing most of the heavy lifting. Wait nevermind...I always do most of the heavy lifting. Lol
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    What a great time in your lives! Enjoy it to its fullest! Great job on those burgers too!
    Flint, Michigan
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice cook as usual Griff, once that baby arrives all that stuff will seem minor. Good luck and glad Mrs. G is doing will, that is all that matters.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Griffin said:

Thanks guys.

I think it was one of the contestants on Top Chef last week who said when life gives you lemons take a shot of tequila and suck on the lemon.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Griffin
    Options

@cazzy we hire movers to do all the heavy lifting, but theres all that other $hit they won't move or you don't want them to move. Like Eggs. And guns. And tvs, steroes, electronics. Good thing I took the day off before to do that as we filled their truck and there wasn't anymore room left. Congrats on your upcoming little one. Do you know if its a boy or girl yet?

We did manage to go to the Arboretum so her niece could see the giant pumpkin patch. Sorry for crappy cell phone pics.

Me and Mrs. Gimage

Mrs. G, her sister and neice

Rowlett, Texas

• cazzy
    Options
    Griffin said:

@cazzy we hire movers to do all the heavy lifting, but theres all that other $hit they won't move or you don't want them to move. Like Eggs. And guns. And tvs, steroes, electronics. Good thing I took the day off before to do that as we filled their truck and there wasn't anymore room left. Congrats on your upcoming little one. Do you know if its a boy or girl yet?

We did manage to go to the Arboretum so her niece could see the giant pumpkin patch. Sorry for crappy cell phone pics.

Me and Mrs. Gimage

Mrs. G, her sister and neice

Dude, you dropped some lbs....Grats man!

Our move has been easy since my wife had a really good relocation package. They packed and loaded all of our stuff, then delivered it to a storage warehouse in Houston. When the new house is available, they will deliver and put together everything they took apart. If they delivered our stuff to our temporary residenxe, we would have been responsible for the final move. Saved us a ton of money.

She doesn't want to find out. This is our 3rd together and we already have both, so she was like, let's make it a surprise. I totally want to open the envelope but she won't let me. We both want a boy, so we're having a girl. If it is a boy, I think a snip snip is in the near future. 4 kids is more than enough unless I have another girl haha
  • Griffin
    Options

Thanks @cazzy I'm trying, but its a daily struggle. More so with a pregnant wife around. Now she's buying candy and making cookies. And pasta with every meal. hard to stay away from sweets and carbs. I've gone up a bit. need to get on a scale and figure out where I'm at and need to go from there.

Best of luck on the move (again) and with the kiddo. Hope you get what you want. I always said 10 fingers, 10 toes, 2 eyes and a nose and I'd be happy (long way of saying healthy kid is all I want) but was secretly pulling for a boy. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Congratulations on the pending birth my friend. That is a great shot of you and your beautiful wife. All the food looks fantastic brother. Glad to see you posting again.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I forgot to say, I will take a dozen or so of those burgers ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Grillin_beers
    Options
    Congrats on the impending member of your family. I actually cooked burgers last night too. Good looking cook
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • cazzy
    Options
    SGH said:
    I forgot to say, I will take a dozen or so of those burgers ;)
    I'm sure his day is now complete.   =))
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Griffin said:

Thanks @cazzy I'm trying, but its a daily struggle. More so with a pregnant wife around. Now she's buying candy and making cookies. And pasta with every meal. hard to stay away from sweets and carbs. I've gone up a bit. need to get on a scale and figure out where I'm at and need to go from there.

Best of luck on the move (again) and with the kiddo. Hope you get what you want. I always said 10 fingers, 10 toes, 2 eyes and a nose and I'd be happy (long way of saying healthy kid is all I want) but was secretly pulling for a boy. ;)

You were? Does this mean it's a girl? I can't remember if you mentioned this or not.
  • Griffin
    Options

=)) Yes, my day is now complete.

@Eggcelsior yes, its a boy. Not releasing the name till he's born.

Rowlett, Texas

• MidModClod
    Options

I agree, when life hands you lemons, make Lemon Meringue Pie!

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Griffin said:

I've been craving some egged food and Mrs. G gave me a call yesterday asking for burgers. Said she thought she needed the iron. Who am I to argue? Just for the heck of it, I changed my routine and went 350F raised direct. Buns on (we usually do them last)

Patties and some cheddar cheese. The woman behind the deli counter really screwed up the cheese!! Not a whole slice in the package and I never looked till it was time to put them on the patties. X(

So, not a big fan of burgers at 350 raised. Took much longer and while they were done to our liking, didn't really get that nice and browned up exterior crust. But beats Mickey Dee's by a million miles and Whataburger as well.

I've had similar unhappy results doing them 350* raised direct.  When I do burgers raised direct on Medium, I do them at 500* - 600* to get some crust on them.  2 - 3 minutes a side is all it takes.

I actually like the look of your cheese.  My cheeseburgers look like that.  I got tired of watching some of the cheese melt off the burger and into the egg, so I pile it up away from the burger's edge and let it melt out to the edge.

Best wishes for a happy and healthy new arrival.  :)
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • cazzy
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Griffin said:

You scared some random stranger will steal your name?  I know from experience that it doesn't really sting unless a family member does it.     b-(
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited November 2014
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Griffin said:

You scared some random stranger will steal your name?  I know from experience that it doesn't really sting unless a family member does it.     b-(

We had someone decide they liked our boy name - until they realized his initials would have been A.S.S.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Burgers look good.  Glad y'all made it thru the unexpected move. Thanks for the update.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Griffin
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Griffin said:

I was told by SWMBOed not to tell anybody. She had a list of names all picked out even back when we were dating that she would add to and cross off. One of her best friends stole her favorite name a coupla years back and she was X(  Luckily it was a girl's name so no worries.

@Ragtop99we usually do burgers higher. Don't know why I tried to experiment. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? 

Rowlett, Texas