Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cornbread & Chili

Options
First time I've done either on the egg. Turned out really good. Used hickory and pecan. Didn't get much smoke flavor in the chili just enough to know it was there. None in the bread.imageimageimage

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Where do I sign off for your cornbread badge? Just do the chili and leave the beans out, I will be glad to sign off for your BGE Chili badge [-X
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a grand slam homer to me. Excellent job =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    @mickey the wife and I love beans and corn in our chili. Those are pintos out of the garden and canned by me. That should be worth something. At least they didn't come out of a tin can.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Where do I sign off for your cornbread badge? Just do the chili and leave the beans out, I will be glad to sign off for your BGE Chili badge [-X

What? No beans in chili? That's definitely not NWGA chili. We make the first pot when it's below 70* (chili weather) and it gets beans! :D
  • shtgunal3
    Options
    @SGH thanks man..… @theyolksonyou‌ I have never made chili without beans. Started putting corn in it a few years back and we really liked it.

• Mickey
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    @mickey the wife and I love beans and corn in our chili. Those are pintos out of the garden and canned by me. That should be worth something. At least they didn't come out of a tin can.

While officially even home grown beans are not in a bowl of texas red. If I had home grown pinto beans I bet they would in it. Super. You are the first person I know of who grows his own pintos. Cool
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    edited October 2014
    Options
    When you say canned are they soft? Pre-cooked? We eat a lot of pintos but all are dried.

• shtgunal3
    Options
    Mickey said:

When you say canned are they soft? Pre-cooked?

They are pressure canned in quart jars. So yes they are soft and I guess you could consider them pre-cooked. We grow and home can all kinds of veggies. Pink eye purple hull peas are my favorite.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @shotgunal. ...Texans have no "beans".
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    henapple said:
    Didn't want to say it myself.
    =))
  • shtgunal3
    Options
    henapple said:

Good thing I'm from/in Alabama.
    ;)

• shtgunal3
    Options
    @henapple‌ ..... BTW I see what you did there.

• henapple
    Options
    Hell, if you'd told me what's for dinner I'd driven to cull town
  • shtgunal3
    Options
    @henapple‌ I'm smoking a turkey breast tomorrow night. You're welcome anytime.

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Around my house when we put beans and corn we call it taco soup. And we eat it more often than Chili. As for corn bread. Everyone I know eats Jiff.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice job, don't listen to those Texans about beans, if they ate them they wouldn't be so full of hot air.... :-\"

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    texaswig said:
    Around my house when we put beans and corn we call it taco soup.
    x2 Yup.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    But it still looks pretty good from here.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Nice stew and the cornbread looks great.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • shtgunal3
    Options
    Thanks guys.... I haven't had taco soup in awhile. At least what I call taco soup. May have to put that on the to do list. Enchilada soup sounds good too.

• henapple
    Options
    I thought taco soup came after lunch at Taco Bell.....
  • shtgunal3
    Options
    @henapple which end does that come from?

• henapple
    Options
    I think you know...grab a newspaper.
  • JRWhitee
    Options
    Did someone say Taco Soup? SWMBO made some the only question is which hot sauce to use. Ok, I used both.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • shtgunal3
    Options
    Damn bro that looks good! @JRWhitee‌

• JRWhitee
    Options
    Thanks @shtgunal3 it was, i had 2 bowls now I am too full for beer maybe a scotch is in order

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Mmmmm.... To the chili and taco soup. ;) Perfect time of year for both.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Mickey said:

shtgunal3 said:

While officially even home grown beans are not in a bowl of texas red. If I had home grown pinto beans I bet they would in it. Super. You are the first person I know of who grows his own pintos. Cool

The is other chili out there then Texas chili and I have eaten chili from a Texan who put beans in their chili. What makes it chili is the seasoning, meat and some liquid. There are many types and I to me chili without beans is for sloppy joes. Just my opinion.

:D
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • shtgunal3
    Options
    You tell them @Ladeback69‌ . Thanks @Dyal_SC‌

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:

The is other chili out there then Texas chili and I have eaten chili from a Texan who put beans in their chili. What makes it chili is the seasoning, meat and some liquid. There are many types and I to me chili without beans is for sloppy joes. Just my opinion. :D

a little to your east, we put pintos in every pot, but we also have a three bean that would have pintos, white (we called them navy beans growing up) and some other variation red or black beans. Beanless chili is for hot dogs.