Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need help on what to do

Options
I purchased an XL egg of craigs list and have done a few cooks. I like to do both low and slow and searing steaks. I have seen the BBQ Guru online and I am wondering if this will work for me. I would like to have the set and forget it help on the long 12+ hour smokes but don't want to have to remove something to do a steak or pizza. Can someone give me any ideas?

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options

I was looking into one, but realistically the Egg is so stable and can't seem to see the need----------------however when one does come up for nearly free, I'm on it

I know that's not the answer you were looking for but I'd though I'd throw that out-- I enjoy the overnighters, and like getting up to take a look @ how its holding...........never have I had to make much, if any, of an adjustment

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    The Digi Q is very easy to remove so it's not a problem.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Grillin_beers
    Options
    I know a couple of guys that have them and swear by them. However I just don't ever worry about doing overnight cooks. I have an iGrill so my phone lets me know if it's done. Other than that I just sleep like a baby. I haven't had the egg go out on me yet, knock on wood. It's a pretty big investment for something you don't absolutely need to make great bbq.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Want the most BANG for your hard earned buck? Pitmaster IQ 110 or the 120. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options

"but don't want to have to remove something to do a steak or pizza"

Can't always have everything you want in one set up.
    Really only talking 60 seconds to remove the BBQ Guru adapter. I don't see this as a big problem.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    A pit controller isn't a permanent fixture.  Easy on, easy off... You're good. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • steventconners20
    Options

Ok I was unsure of how easy it was to take on and off.  I know most of them don't like you to get the temp over 500 which is needed for Pizza or Searing.  I will be shopping around until i find one for a good price.  I wanted it mainly because sometimes you want good BBQ but can't stay home all day and I'd rather not ruin a brisket or something like that because that can get expensive too. 

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Reach out to @stlcharcoal‌ - he can talk to you about what you want and what options are out there and will be the best fit for you.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I would suggest you simply invest some time in learning to use your Egg without help from gadgets.  Once you feel comfortable using the cooker manually (easier than you now realize) you should explore the gadgets that we all know and use.  Just my 2cents 

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I love mine. Easy on, easy off. Gives me peace of mind on overnight cooks. I highly recommend them.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I would suggest you simply invest some time in learning to use your Egg without help from gadgets.  Once you feel comfortable using the cooker manually (easier than you now realize) you should explore the gadgets that we all know and use.  Just my 2cents 
    Doesn't the kamado come with a port for a controller? Might be wise to sell me your egg and pick one of those up.

Steve 

Caledon, ON