Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Killing off a bag of lump question.

Options

When you guys are at the end of a bag of lump, do you guys dump all the shake meaning the dust and crumbs in the egg?  Just wondering because my deep dish pizza tasted a bit more smokey.  Then again this was my first time doing a deep dish.

Used Rockwood as my lump.

Eye candy attached.

Thanks

Mundelein, IL

Comments

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    I dump it in there, then stir it up before lighting. It migrates to the bottom for me to clean out later.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• yellowdogbbq
    Options
    I've found that the dust and tiny pieces are not worth dumping in because they put off a lot of bad smoke and just add more ash to clean out.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I have a big rubbermaid tub with a tight-fitting lid that I keep the lump in.  I dump bags in there, then scoop out what I need.  The duff settles to the bottom and every once in a while I just dump what has accumulated in the garden somewhere.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have dumped it before and I have scoped it in. I haven't done pizza yet, so I haven't experienced a heavy smoke or bad smoke taste yet. Was the egg over 500 and burning clear when you put it on? Just a thought. Pizza looks good.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I feed it to Unit #6. It loves it!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't pay much attention to it. If I happen to think of it, I'll try to stop dumping before the dust lands in the egg. But if some (or all) goes in, oh well. Don't think it affects the taste. Might clog up the air flow a bit.

Love deep dish! Nice pie!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    What I do when I get near the bottom I dump the rest into another bag that has held previous ends as well. Then once or twice a year I use this shifter I made of 1/2" hardware cloth and dump the bag and shift out the dust and small pieces. You'd be surprised how much usable lump is still hidden at the bottom of the dust and tiny shards.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    @rrp that is a great idea. I actually have a screen in my storage shed that would be perfect. Thanks for the idea!
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    For two years I had just dumped the "bag end" into the Egg, never a problem, but a recent cook I actually smothered the fire (I always start the existing lump, then once going, pour in new on top to taste).  
    That's only happened once, but now I'm a bit more careful; if the bag has a lot of dust I'll spread it out over a few fires, but it probably isn't worth the trouble.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    RRP said:

I grew up on gasoline-soaked Kingsford briquets, and as soon as the steaks/burgers were done Dad dumped the still-burning briquets into a similar homemade rack, and poured a pail of water over them to re-use.  
    Life Got Better, in some ways... 
    ;)

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I use Rockwood and I just dump the bag...never sort or filter.  I've never noticed any problems.image

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I like to keep it simple.  Stir lump, dump more & light. If the bag has a lot of dust, move on and open another.
    Flint, Michigan
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Don't take this as derogatory @RRP‌ You my friend are thrifty. My Grandfather (a very wise man) taught me these ways as a young man. He grew up during The Great Depression. I do my best to follow these teachings everyday. Great idea.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    The shake is not good. It can often reduce proper air flow and definitely causes a "smokey" burn. I discard it after extracting as much usable pieces as I can. 2 cents worth.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    edited October 2014
    Options
    NPHuskerFL said: Don't take this as derogatory @RRP‌ You my friend are thrifty. My Grandfather (a very wise man) taught me these ways as a young man. He grew up during The Great Depression. I do my best to follow these teachings everyday. Great idea.

Your
    grandfather grew up in the depression, but I'm older than you and my parents lived through the depression. Thrifty and frugal were engrained in me and that's just the way I am. Thanks for the complement, though! I am just surprised that no one has asked me what that weird looking bucket was in that picture! Hint...it is the best container I have ever found to dump in lump charcoal in a very controlled manner! ANSWER: it is a coal bucket and not even an antique one!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited October 2014
    Options

With any lump charcoal, the fines (or "dust" / "shake"), is just lump that has been broken down or pulverized--it does not have any different chemical property that would cause it create a different smoke than a full size chunk of lump.

During the winter I save it in a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket with a lid and use it in my wood stove as a starting aid.  During the summer I just dump them off to the side of the fire box or put them down in the ash pan.  They'll burn when ash gets hot enough--no reason to waste the BTU's.  You can also use them in a garden or compost.

Just don't dump them on a glowing/burning fire or it will shoot sparks everywhere.

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I have a large fry dipper I use to stir and separate lump from ash in the egg. I pour the last of the bag into a small metal metal bucket I use for ash and scoop out the lump. image
    Jacksonville FL
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Dust in the bag is like foam on a beer. Foam is "air+beer" and coal dust is still coal. I don't want to waste either. Best I can tell, it makes more sparks, but not more smoke. The reason you can see smoke is because of the % of airborne particles in the volume of air is higher in a cool fire. As the fire heats up, it draws more air, and the chimney "clears". Not because there's no more particles, but there's more volume of air per particle load so it "looks" clear. We get more visible smoke when we tighten up the vents, right? 

I don't believe the dust, small as it is, is lightweight enough to become airborne. If it were, the smoke would be as black as the lump and soot up the exterior of the egg. (Like a diesel) The chimney air cools rapidly as it exits and would just drop any entrained dust on the outside of the dome. 

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Legume said:
    I have a big rubbermaid tub with a tight-fitting lid that I keep the lump in.  I dump bags in there, then scoop out what I need.  The duff settles to the bottom and every once in a while I just dump what has accumulated in the garden somewhere.
    I do the same. 32 gallon Rubbernaid trash can, metal grain scoop to scoop the charcoal out. It holds about 30 lbs of lump charcoal. The dust and fines at the bottom just get dumped. I suppose I could save the dust and crumbs, but I figure it would save me at most a dollar of two per bag, and I'd gladly pay that to not have to mess around with saving/storing/filtering charcoal dust. Just pitching it works best for me.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I save in a bucket and will use in the firepit in the summer.  I definitely liked saving it for the winter last year; it doesn't melt ice/snow like rock salt, but the smaller pieces provided traction and didn't get stuck in the dog's paws as badly.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I would save it all up and put a whole load in your egg and see. Good luck. I don't want pieces the size of a Volkswagen and I don't want the shake in my egg either. Using in the fire pit seems like a good place for the shake. I would let your experience guide you.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I'm like Scarface. ..I pile it up on my desk, grab my AR 15 and snort it....say helo to my litle fwend.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    I use the Rubbermaid bucket as well.... One for my Rockwood. One for my Sugar Maple Basques. One for the WGWW. Let the dust settle into the bottom of the bucket. When I get to the end of the bucket, I'll use the crumbs in the fire pit or toss in the garden.

Glad I'm not the only one that uses that system.

I do like the coal bucket @RRP‌.... I remember using that at my grandparents house when I had to clean their fireplace every day. And it's grandad's WWII GI-issue Zippo that I use to light my egg!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    henapple said:

I'm like Scarface. ..I pile it up on my desk, grab my AR 15 and snort it....say helo to my litle fwend.

I don't do that, but I do get black boogers sometimes if I'm egging a lot. Or is that after I mow my crappy grass?
    Flint, Michigan
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I use Rockwood....I've never noticed any additional smoke from dumping the bottom of the bag in the firebox. I have not had any air flow issues either. 

Just my 2 cents worth as well.

DD

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !!