Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cornstarch Thanks

Options
BlueSmoke
BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There was some discussion awhile back about coating chicken with cornstarch in order to crisp up the skin. I did wings tonight, and being in an experimenting frame of mind, did half of them in a sour orange marinade; dredged the other half with plain cornstarch.[p]In our tasting, the cornstarched wings had superior crunch. They were done, but still moist and tender. The taste was understandly bland. ("Tastes like chicken...") By contrast, the marinated wings were uniformly tender from skin to bone.[p]Now that we know we prefer cornstarch, I'll be experimenting with herbs and spices to put into the dredge.[p]Ken

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    I have been experimenting with cornstarch mixed with DP rubs. The last venture was 75% rub mixed with 25% cornstarch and it was pretty good. Next time I'm going to up the cornstarch just a tad, maybe 65% to 35%. -RP

• Bigfoot
    Bigfoot Posts: 154
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    I have had a lot of luck dredging the slightly damp wings in a spice mixture, then patting on the corn starch on the wing (the idea is just to put enough on for a light transparent coating) then toss them on the egg. Crunchy and Yummy!

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Bigfoot,
    On Alton Brown's show last night (How to fry chicken), he made a point of putting the rub under the flour dredge, so the spice on before the cornstarch makes the same point. Enjoy.

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    BlueSmoke, Try some of your Red Rooster Rub. I use that on all my wings now. Mixed with corn starch and dragged in the RA-RA Wing Sauce, that might start trouble.