Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bad Pork Shoulder

Options
Alan
Alan Posts: 72
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i smoked a pork shoulder this weekend that was soaked overnight in a vinegar, salt, and spices mix. I smoked it 12 hours between 200-230 degrees, and then 2 hours at 350 degrees. When i took it off and started cutting it up, all of the meat seemed like it had this really slimy, greasy stuff all over it. When you rubbed your fingers in the meat, that stuff collected all over your hands. The meat was cooked all the way through, so i was wondering if maybe i cooked it too long or something. Has anyone ever seen a piece do this from how you cook it, or was it a "bad" piece of meat? I'm trying again tomorrow so if anyone knows anything I'd appreciate the help.

Comments

• Q-Scoop
    Q-Scoop Posts: 59
    Options
    How much did the meat weigh? Did you have a thermometer to test the internal temperature? I'm not sure what the vinegar mixture would do to the exterior of the meat but it shouldn't have had an effect all the way through it.[p]I am wondering if your external thermometer is properly calibrated. Smoking at 200 degrees is low (should be 225-250). It's possible you were smoking at a lower temperature than that even and just "rotted" the meat. Internal temperature by the way for pulled pork should be 195-200. Hope this helps, Catherine

• BBQ-BoB
    BBQ-BoB Posts: 124
    Options
    alan,
    My thinking is it had something to do with the vinegar. Have you done this before with good results? A while back I did a butt that I injected with a mixture that was high in vinegar. I let it sit too long and when I cooked it the meat was just terrible. I tossed it in the trash. Got kind of a sour taste and smell to it.[p]Bob

• Alan
    Alan Posts: 72
    Options
    bbqBob,
    i've done my shoulders in the vinegar every time and this was the first one i've had to turn out bad and I've left them in the vinegar for 24 hours. i'm wondering if it's not the lower temperature like someone else suggested.

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    bbqBob,
    Sorry to interject in this thread, but, bbqbob, I sent you an email at the address I had on-hand for you about 3 days ago. Did you get it? I know you've had some computer issues lately. Drop me a quick line at above email if you didn't get it.
    Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...
    thanks,
    Qfan

• Fisheyes
    Options
    alan,[p]I posted earlier about pork shoulders that I cooked over the weekend too. Apparently, I cooked at too low a temperature also. My shoulders had the same goo on the outside. Since these were my first, I just accepted it as normal. I hope I don't get sick.[p]My guess is that the low temp had something to do with it. My wife thought that the goo was part of the fat and skin. We went ahead and ate the pork and it tasted great.[p]I'll keep tabs on this thread to see what the experts think.[p]Good luck,
    Brad

• Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    Options
    alan,Have not done a shoulder on the Egg but the ones I've cooked on other cookers I've done at about 250 for 14 to 16 plus hours. My thought is the fat was breaking down but had not cooked out.
    Did one a few years back that finished up way before turn in time. I double wrapped it in foil,put in the top of the cooker, keeping the heat as low as I could, till turn in. When I unwrapped it there was about a cup or more of melted grease and one of the best shoulders I ever cooked.
    Good Next cook and let us know how it went,
    Poppasam

• BBQ-BoB
    BBQ-BoB Posts: 124
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    I have no email right now. Just took my computer in yesterday to get rebuilt by the guy that originally built it. Mother board seems to be bad.[p]Using my wife's laptop when she's not. I should be back up later this week. I might try to setup a temp Yahoo email account today.[p]
    Sorry for the delays.[p]Time to go on a meat run at Sam's!

• Hi,

I have had an egg for 8 years now. We love to cook pork, shoulders, fresh hams, butts, whatever . . .

I coat the pork with dizzy pig rub, or any cajun seasoning will do. The Chef prudomme Magic blackened redfish is pretty good stuff, but dizzy pig is the best (course dizzy dust) and some salt and pepper.

I put it on the egg at 225 to 250 with the plate setter, or if you don't have a place setter, then just put it in a rack or pan and something to deflect the direct heat.

Cook it for a few hours to get some smoke on it.

Then, I take the pork and I double wrap it tight in heavy duty aluminum foil, this is important, wrap it tight and double wrap it. I put it back on the grill and let it cook at 250-300-350, doesn't matter. You have to get that meat hot, to break it down.

I cook for a few hours.

I check it with a meat thermometer and I want it off the chart, over 200 degrees.

let it sit, get out your cheap white bread buns, your cole slaw, your favorite BBQ sauce or vinegar sauce.

Open up that foil and it should just fall apart. Put it on a cutting board and just chop it up with the biggest knife you got.

Good eats.

I usually look for pork on sale at the market. 3-4 pound butts, or picnic hams are fine. I can put a few butts on at 10 in the morning and its BBQ at 6 pm. Wrap them up around 2-3 after you get some smoke on them.

If a butt gets hot, it will be tender, don't worry about the marinades, etc, just put some rub on it and you will be fine. The trick is to get it hot. The way to get it hot is in the foil so it doesn't dry out.

Its awesome.

email me if you want more info. trust me, it works.

Invest in some dizzy pig if don't have any, its great stuff, also you can order big tubs of Chef prudhomme seasoning on the internet, good stuff, but I like dizzy pig. Thanks Chris!

Jed Thomas
    egghead
    jedthomas1@flica.net
  • Poppasam,[p]
    You seem pretty knoweldgeable about smoking pork! Question for you...I bought a pork shoulder and smoked it all day and it came out tasting like ham!Will a Boston Butt give off a ham style flavor?