Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Holy crap! I may be the luckiest person on here! OT

Options
So this just happened. image The wheel broke off my table as I was pushing back into the basement. It all came crashing down right next to a. The brick corner b. the concrete floor and c. The concrete planter blocks. image The dome came out and the band was bent a little. image Lethe basement is a temporary home for the egg till I build the outdoor space I want next year. I guess this gives me reason to do something temporary like a small patio to cook on. In the meantime, will the daisy wheel put out the fire? Should I replace the ceramic or get a stainless? Also way off topic. Why can't I get a hard return when posting from iPad? Everything runs together, can't have new paragraph.

Comments

• NervousDad
    Options
    Lucky for sure!
    Aurora,OH
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the ceramic top. I never use mine.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @td66snrf‌ I've read mixed opinions. Like just about everything else on here. Certainly will give it a shot without. Repairing that dang table is going to take away cooking time. X(
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I never use the Daisy wheel at all but if I had to I would add a little foil.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    When you have your choice between lucky and good, take lucky every time.  Dodged a bullet for sure.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    yikes, glad no one was hurt.  I never use the ceramic top, only the daisy wheel.  Mine seems to work fine putting the fire out.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Someone should go and buy a lottery ticket.  I'm in the camp of always using my ceramic cap.  When I'm done cooking I place the daisy wheel on the grate, close the lid, and put the ceramic cap on.  Mrs. Daisy doesn't get rusty that way.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Thanks all. I'm still a nervous wreck.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    When my first egg was delivered I rolled it down it down a concrete path to the backyard. One wheel went off the path and it went over. I threw myself under it and saved any damage. I figured it was better than bearing the wrath of my wife who had just bought it for my birthday.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options

When my first egg was delivered I rolled it down it down a concrete path to the backyard. One wheel went off the path and it went over. I threw myself under it and saved any damage. I figured it was better than bearing the wrath of my wife who had just bought it for my birthday.

=)) just visualized this!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    He was 6'3" before the egg landed on him.
    Greensboro, NC
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Another fine example of why you should PULL not push your egg around.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• theyolksonyou
    Options

Another fine example of why you should PULL not push your egg around.

Yep. You nailed it!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

You got lucky. 
     I used the daisy wheel and a sheet of foil for about a year after my top broke. Took me that long to get around to replacing it. It will work fine.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• findbenjamin
    Options
    You could try repairing the top with refractory cement.  It should glue all the pieces back together.  Then just throw it in a 250 degree oven to cure.  It'll be ugly, but functional.  I repaired a nice chip in mine with this.  

And you got dang lucky!  
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @findbenjamin‌ I was in such a state of shock that I left it all laying there to clean up later. Just picked up the egg and internals and took it in the garage. I'm not sure how many pieces the cap is in. X_X I still can't believe it landed between the landscape blocks, brick wall and concrete floor! Living right I guess. :D
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I busted the ceramic cap on my small into a few pieces. I used JB Weld on it and it works. Butt ugly, but it works.
    Flint, Michigan
  • EggBaker81
    Options
    Nice dodge on this one :)   Your daisy wheel will work fine for now, but I would recommend replacing your ceramic top when you get a chance. The Daisy wheel will eventually rust, but if you keep it treated with oil (I like EVOO because it doesn't go rancid like veg oil) you should be fine.
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    If you have the resources, just go with the SS cap. 
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    If it was me, I would get the SS cap and I leave my Egg out and have not worried about it. I will be buying a cover or a trap to cover during the winter, not sure yet. The more you move it, the more chance of something bad happening.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Same thing kinda happened to me, a wheel went off the narrow concrete path (1 foot drop off at that location), but I was able to prevent the tip over.  That is why I will not move mine off the big flat concrete pad back patio.  I roll it about 8 feet from under the patio cover where it is stored, to outside the perimeter of the patio roof for smoke drift purposes when cooking.  Never again will the LBGE & Table have to traverse the narrow path that almost doomed it the day it was delivered.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Crisis averted - Egg on!
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    If it was me, I would get the SS cap and I leave my Egg out and have not worried about it. I will be buying a cover or a trap to cover during the winter, not sure yet. The more you move it, the more chance of something bad happening.

Yep, gonna have to find a more permanent solution sooner rather than later. I felt fine moving in and out, but after reading some other posts about fires, perhaps further away from basement door would be a good move too.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    I would say so...
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Griffin said:

You got lucky. 
     I used the daisy wheel and a sheet of foil for about a year after my top broke. Took me that long to get around to replacing it. It will work fine.

Foul over daisy wheel or under it, my rain cap shattered a while ago and I just use the daisy
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    WeberWho? said:

Wow, I can only imagine how sick I would be. I was in a cold sweat for a couple of hours after my near miss.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options

Wow, I can only imagine how sick I would be. I was in a cold sweat for a couple of hours after my near miss.

I ran it over with my truck on accident. I was fortunate and or lucky that it was my $200 spare large egg. Still not a great feeling though. I'm glad you had a better outcome!

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Damn V, that sucks. Bounce my small around in the back of the truck with a table minus tie downs.

Knock on wood, no chips or cracks or any other misshaps during transfers. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    I put humpty dumpty together again tonight after work, SWMBO missing the egg ;) and so am I.
    It was dark by the time I finished, but it looks like I have a slight underbite and a cracked fire ring. Fire ring doesn't really concern me, but should the underbite? I took the advice of the forum and moved it outside permenantly. Put me much further away from my lump and utility sink( as far as possible) but that's better than turning the damn thing over again. I'll fire it up tomorrow night and see how it goes.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    That sucks, but you are lucky.

@theyolksonyou‌, to do a hard return, you need to use <> with BR in the middle. Like this (BR) except use <> on each side of the BR. I made a shortcut on my iPad so I don't have to go to the 3rd keyboard every time just to make a paragraph.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming