Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Am I a sissy?

Options
Cookinbob
Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
edited October 2014 in EggHead Forum
I've decided to move my small egg into the garage for the winter. I think it will be perfect for those days when I want to do a small cook and not contend with the elements. Today I smoked a piece of pork that I cured into ham. Out of the rain and I enjoyed a good cigar while it cooked.

It's been a busy month! First thing I've egged in two weeks :-S
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    If you have to ask you probably are.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    Where do you live?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited October 2014
    Options

That depends.

Do you like gladiator movies?

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Okay-having grown-up in upstate NY (north of Plattsburgh) and still in the USA, I can see where you would enjoy the opportunity to get out of the elements.  And since you still have the XL in the elements, then it sounds like a great plan-as long as you manage the smoke/garage air mixture when it's more than rain that is the inside driver.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    edited October 2014
    Options
    +1 with thebuckeye.  Just kidding.  Funny thing was my daughter asked this morning if I was going to miss cooking on the Egg because of the snow.  I just told her that I won't miss a thing but she will.  She didn't like that answer.   :))
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Do you wear a skirt? Oh, if you come to Salado that rule is out the window =))
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options

If I did that my wife's reply would only be "Grow a pair!"

As long as its not raining like nuts, I'm fine in the elements, I actually like grilling in the snow, a good pair of Sorels and an extra layer and I'm all good!

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    on the contrary I think you are really brave to burn charcoal indoor! stay safe Bob.
    canuckland
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

That depends.

Yes and have you ever been in a Turkish prison?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options

That depends.

Joey,...have you ever seen a grown man...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfgO90yGusI

• Cookinbob
    Options

That depends.

Yes, and no.  I live in Rochester, NY, and I egged all last winter in the elements, and last winter really sucked.   However, I only did long cooks that did not require a lot of attention (brisket, pulled pork, turkey, etc).  Shorter smaller cooks just did not happen.  I don't mind the cold at all, but the wind up here blows off the lakes from November to the end of April, that takes the fun out of it.  

When I do it in the garage, the egg will be right at the edge of the door which will stay wide open.  I don't feel like a sissy, but I know how this forum feels about egging and weather.

@Mickey, if there is a way I can get to Salado, I will do it.  Would really like to meet and greet and be a part of it all.  I do not own a skirt though.
    Rochester, NY
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @Cookinbob said: @Mickey, if there is a way I can get to Salado, I will do it. Would really like to meet and greet and be a part of it all. I do not own a skirt though........... Bob no problem on the skirt. Hell, most of them in skirts didn't own underware X_X
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Don't worry about how people on the forum feel.  If you are grilling and turning out good food that is all that matters.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I understand why you want to do that, but here's a sobering fact...Chris C of Dizzy Pig lost his home to a fire from an egg he was using in his garage.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    RRP said:
    I understand why you want to do that, but here's a sobering fact...Chris C of Dizzy Pig lost his home to a fire from an egg he was using in his garage.
    Thats is a sobering fact... What a bummer.

I would have to agree, the reward would not be worth the risk for me personally. You just never know.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • Little Steven
    Options
    mcmac said:
    RRP said:
    Thats is a sobering fact... What a bummer.

I would have to agree, the reward would not be worth the risk for me personally. You just never know.
    Chris's eggs weren't in his garage guys.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Chris's eggs weren't in his garage guys.

Sorry, I'm just repeating what I had always heard was the cause. Please correct me if you know what did cause him to lose his home to that fire?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Ron, It was an errant ember that went into his garage, or maybe shed and ignited some newspaper. I had a fire at the same time and I think that was the way it went. Your advice is probably even better if bud is cooking right in the garage.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Cookinbob
    Options
    Not what I want to hear. I am feeling pretty safe out in the door. If it could happen in the garage, it could happen on my patio. Right? I will take reasonable precautions though. Want to be safe for sure.
    Rochester, NY
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    edited October 2014
    Options
    found an old post by Chris, in response to this thread,
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,298
    Howdy Sweathog.
    The funny thing about fire is that it happens fast, and never like you think it could. I cooked in the same spot for 8 years (in my driveway 10 feet from the house) before I burnt my house down. Even then it was just a small stray ember, a little wind, and 15 minutes of not being right there. Sure, there was stuff nearby that could catch on fire, but, as the fire marshall said, everything had to be lined up perfectly (or imperfectly) for it to happen. Lots of folks cook on their decks and screened porches with no problems.

And, for 8 years my spot was perfectly safe. Then one day my perspective changed. From now on I will cook more than 10 feet from my house, and there won't be anything nearby that can catch on fire.

I won't tell you it isn't safe. It could be so long as you take every single possibility into consideration (flashbacks, grease fires, embers), and are watching it every minute.

Sure looks like a great cooking spot on a rainy day though!! Those who know me will tell you I am not paranoid at all. But I wouldn't cook there unless I knew I could be there the whole time.

Just one opinion!
    Cheers
    Chris

canuckland
  • SloppyJoe
    SloppyJoe Posts: 406
    Options
    Only if you're a Buckeye.
  • THEBuckeye
    Options
    @sloppyjoe

Below the belt, sloppy! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    RRP said:

I understand why you want to do that, but here's a sobering fact...Chris C of Dizzy Pig lost his home this me to a fire from an egg he was using in his garage.

Was this before the mesh screen was available for the stainless steel draft door?

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • MIgreenegger
    Options
    The quietness of the Winter is awesome. Great weather to Egg outside in. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I speak from experience. Be careful rolling in and out. Pull don't push.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    I've decided to move my small egg into the garage for the winter. I think it will be perfect for those days when I want to do a small cook and not contend with the elements. Today I smoked a piece of pork that I cured into ham. Out of the rain and I enjoyed a good cigar while it cooked. It's been a busy month! First thing I've egged in two weeks :-S
    I would recommend you buy a SS smokeware cap for the Egg, and an umbrella for yourself, and move that BGE at least 5 feet away from the edge of your home out into the rain.  The Egg won't mind and the extra distance plus falling water should insure you don't have a freak accident and burn your home down.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I've cooked steaks during the infamous Snowmagedon in 2010 where It took me a bit to shovel out to the egg... The snow was 4.5ft deep. 
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Yes (I admit I didn't read any of this post tho) lol
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos