Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - new new toy sucks!

Options
Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,518
edited October 2014 in Off Topic

Marinating meat with recycled milk bag:

Got carried away and tried on a bag of bagels, oooops, duh!

canuckland

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Even though I don't own a chamber style vac I find that I can freeze soups, preformed burgers and even English muffins using my Food Saver, but the secret is to freeze them overnight before sealing. That way no leakage and no crushing and the thaw and reheating is a breeze! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Wow
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Canugghead
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Yes Ron, agree, been there, done that.
    canuckland
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,476
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hah, reminds me of this sorority chick that I....
    oh, uh, never mind.  
    \:D/

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Pretty nice, the air will be sucked out of everything for the next couple of weeks. 
    Great machine. I was in a local kitchen supply store and they had a 300 series vacmaster - holy smoke it was more than i paid for my first new car back in '71 - like $2500. 

Assume the 215 is similar, just smaller and maybe less power. Enjoy, the sous vide will be overworked now. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Canugghead
    edited October 2014
    Options
    ooops just realised I had a typo in the title.

@Skiddymarker - thanks, this is their entry level machine with oil pump. Plenty of power, manual recommends to start experimenting at 40 sec vacuum time, I did those at 22 sec only. I think the major differences between this and the larger 300 series are the capacity and 'gas' feature. Got it from Amazon.ca with free shipping out of Mississauga ON ($300 cheaper than a local retailer), almost the same price as buying south of the border.  
    canuckland
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Did you do the math regarding cost? Would be interested in your thoughts. 

I've been looking for some time at the Vacmaster. seems to me the bags are between 1/4 to 1/5th the cost of standard vac pack machines. Just the opposite of the old give them the razor, sock it to them on the blades. Here the machine seems costly, but the bags are dirt cheap. Less than 10 cents for an 8"X10" vacmaster pouch vs almost 40-50 cents for a Foodsaver pouch off a roll. 

Based on my usage, I'd have about a four year pay back vs foodsaver. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Canugghead
    Options
    I didn't do detailed payback math but you're right about the much cheaper bags. Also don't forget that with the chamber, you can reuse milk pouches, old ziploc, etc for short term application/storage.

Today I returned three boxes of unopened Foodsaver six-pack rolls I bought on sale at Costco and the refund is almost enough to buy 1000 6x10 and 1000 8x12 bags.  Those three returned boxes would have yielded the equivalent of about 525 8x12 bags. 

I looked at vp112 initially, but decided to pay 250 more for the vp215 with oil pump.

One last thing, the ease of use, quality of seal, reduced frustration, time saved and FUN, are priceless ;))

Had I bought one when I bought the first Egg six years ago, the bag saving$ would have made a considerable dent in the chamber purchase price by now!

canuckland
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I have been wanting one for so long now but I have no idea where I would fit it in my small kitchen...

Options
    Uh Gary, a tandoori oven and a 1K chamber sealer in one week. You are going to be living on CPP in a few years.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @paqman - my kitchen is tiny, it's on a stainless cart in the family room!

Little Steven - thanks for the grim reminder bud! it's your fault for getting me initiated in chamber sealer. btw, a dedicated sausage stuffer in on my wish list, shhhh! (already have a decent meat grinder).
    darn, should have bought this last week when there was a $50 discount:

canuckland
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Calling Everyone!!!!! Gary needs an intervention!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Getting the hang of it!  GTA eggers, save your milk pouches for me ;)

canuckland
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Are you trying to torture that bottle of Schwartz seasoning?

Options
    From the sound of things you made need a bigger freezer.....enlarge the kitchen....
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Botch said:

Hah, reminds me of this sorority chick that I....
    oh, uh, never mind.  
    \:D/

Oh god!!! The bad memories of fat sorority chicks!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I'm cheap, I vacuum seal with ziplocks and my mouth.

Works for me. :)
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Canugghead
    edited November 2014
    Options
    @anzyegg - ya should have enlarged our kitchen when we renovated it last year, didn't want to go through the hassle/delay of knocking down walls.  Already running two full size fridges and a dedicated large upright freezer.  edit: on the contrary, storing soup, stew, curry, etc. in flat pouches instead of plastic containers uses less freezer space!

@Zmokin - I'm cheap too, just ask LS!  But, a sucker is born every minute, hopefully in about 5-7 years, the bag savings, not to mention the intangibles, will pay for the price of admission!

@skiddymarker was right, I'm sucking the daylight out of everything...

canuckland
  • Skiddymarker
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Enjoy, soon there will be a tax on air - but I don't think you get a tax credit if you reduce your consumption by vac packing all your belonings.  :))
  • Canugghead
    Options
    paqman said:
    Are you trying to torture that bottle of Schwartz seasoning?
    just trying to squeeze out more flavour  :D
    canuckland