Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs cooked with direct heat

Options
Toy Man
Toy Man Posts: 416
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Two days ago I posted that I had achieved my first decent rack of pork back ribs using direct heat instead of indirect heat and/or foiling. I did another test cook this morning using the same direct method and the ribs came out great again. This method is how I will be doing all of my future rib cooks.[p]I have the ribs as far away from the coals as possible in my large egg. Not sure if this has anything to do with it or not. Nothing special other than that: Standard 225 for about 4 1/2 hours for a 2 1/2 lb rack.[p]Toy Man[p]

Comments

• TulsaMurph
    Options
    Can you give us some details? How much charcoal did you load it up with, are you using a v-rack with drip pan?

Thanks!
  • Toy Man,[p]Thanks Toy Man. I will follow this method for my first attempt at ribs today.
  • Toy Man,[p]launched the egg yesterday after 30 years with a weber. I looked in the "cookbook" that came with it, but couldn't get any read on indirect vs. direct (the weber would never be direct), drip pan vs. no drip pan. I did rack in drip pan, but was never sure why. My biggest question for you is, how do you add more soaked wood chips? Do you think it's necessary? I'm thinking maybe to use soaked smoking dust and just pour it through the grid.