Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pastrami point or flat

Options
Hello,

I bought a brisket today and I have a friend who would like to make pastrami. I found lots of recipes, no problems there, but I would like to know if we should use only the flat for the pastrami or we can use the whole brisket?

Regards,

Krisztian

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I use the whole brisket. I use a dry cure and to make it easier to work with I generally cut the brisket in half.  One piece will be all flat and the other piece will  have both flat and point.  They both come out great.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    Make sure to post the process.  I definitely want to do one this winter.  Good luck with yours.

Long Island, NY
  • Shiff
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I used the info in this post to make mine.  Montreal Smoked Meat is an excellent type of Pastrami.  I use a dry cure called Tender Quick from the Morton Salt company.  In our area, many of the markets carry this product as do most of the Amish bulk food stores.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1128140/ultimate-montreal-smoked-meat-recipe/p1

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • prunoki
    prunoki Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks guys, I will make some photos and I will be back in a week, I plan to smoke this beast in 5-6 days. It weighs 7 kilos by the way.
  • Shiff
    Options
    prunoki said:
    Thanks guys, I will make some photos and I will be back in a week, I plan to smoke this beast in 5-6 days. It weighs 7 kilos by the way.
    How are you going to cure it?  It usually takes about 10 days to cure either by a wet or dry process.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited October 2014
    Options
    In most of the delis I know of you get a choice between "fat" and "lean".  The former being the point.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• prunoki
    prunoki Posts: 11
    Options

Shiff said:
    prunoki said:
    How are you going to cure it?  It usually takes about 10 days to cure either by a wet or dry process.
    This is where I got started:

I thought about doing something similar. This guy had a 7 pounds flat, which is roughly the half of what I have. He cured the meat for 3 days, which was not enough, I would give it 5-6 days. It is double in weight, not double in thickness, that was my logic but I would be glad if you would comment on that, even if you prove me wrong. This is my first go at this and I do not have much experience in smoking either, but what the heck, one has to start somewhere. Though it would be nice to get something edible :-)

• Shiff
    Options
    Even if it is not pink all the way through it will still taste about the same.  I have used a wet brine but found it more difficult to handle. I generally do 2 full packer briskets at a time since I give portions of the pastrami to my kids as well as keeping some in my own freezer.  The dry cure method takes up less room in the refrigerator and is easier to handle.

The one in the video didn't seem very well rinsed and I would have expected it to be very salty even though he said it wasn't.

I use more pickling spice but that is just a matter of my taste.

Experiment and develop your own recipe - just remember to write down what you did so you can make changes on your next attempt.

Let us know how it comes out.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • prunoki
    Options
    I am back. The brisket spent a week in the brine and it is in the egg right now.

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    @PRUNOKI.....Awesome...I've never tried brining and starting from scratch. When I first started egging brisket ( sounds like I've been doing it a while....really only 10 months ), I bought corn beef brisket flats or caps at Kroger to smoke.  I did not know a full packer from a turkey !!!!!!!

But I smoked the corn beef briskets with a rub as usual with a normal brisket.....awesome pastrami results...!!!!!!!

I need to do another the same way now....love that salty brined taste !!!!!!

Hope all works out well for you. And please, document and post pics....I want to do a full packer , as you are some day soon .

Thanks,

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• prunoki
    Options
    Well, I am at 72 Celsius internal (161 Fahrenheit). The grill temperature varies between 110 and 122 (220-251), it is quite windy outside. I put oak and cherry between the charcoal. Going to post some pics when I open it.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    prunoki....how did it turn out my friend ????

There will probably be a stall around 165-170F IT and it will need to just ride on through. It may stay there for a while, but will eventually raise on up to finished IT temp. 

Wind shouldn't be a problem...I guess if there is nothing blocking it from your bottom vent it could be....but I have never had a issue.

Let us know how it went !!

DD

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• prunoki
    Options
    The stall was around 173 and it lasted for a good 3-4 hours. 

When the meat reached 185 IT I took it from the egg, wrapped it into some foil and towels and put it into a cooler bag. The end result is a bit dry, but the flavour is really intense, I love it.

What I am going to change though:

- The family knows what to put under the tree (DigiQ :-))
    - I am going to buy a point and cut it into 3 pieces, one to cook in the egg without foil, one to finish in a pressure cooker, one to put into foil when the stall arrives. Have to experiment a bit to see the best method with these belgian beefs.

• prunoki
    Options
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks like you didn't have sodium nitrite in your brine.
    Options
    the pressure cooker really adds to the cook. egg til 160, wrap and foil and chill overnight, then pressure cook 20 minutes and slice
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • prunoki
    Options
    Yes, my friend who did the brine did not want to put sodium nitrite in it so I let her do it her way.
  • prunoki
    Options
    And yes, the pressure cooker is one thing I will try the next time, but I need to have a smaller piece of meat, because my pressure cooker is surely not big enough to hold an entire brisket. Also I wanted to conserve the bark. But when I think about it, it comes to me that my pressure cooker has a small piece which lets you have about 1 centimetre of water under the meat without actually putting the meat into the water. That way you are cooking in vapour. 

• Shiff
    Options
    prunoki said:

When the meat reached 185 IT I took it from the egg, wrapped it into some foil and towels and put it into a cooler bag. The end result is a bit dry, but the flavour is really intense, I love it.

When you removed it at 185, did it pass the "buttah" test?  185 seems a little low for that - it is usually tender between 195 and 205.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • prunoki
    Options
    Shiff said:
    prunoki said:

When you removed it at 185, did it pass the "buttah" test?  185 seems a little low for that - it is usually tender between 195 and 205.
    What is a "buttah" test? I found 185 for the brisket at a lot of places, that was my only reason to remove it  at 185.
  • Shiff
    Options
    The "buttah" test is when a probe is inserted into the brisket when it seems to be near the end of the cooking. I start testing when the IT is about 190 degrees. When the probe inserts like the brisket is as soft as butter, it is ready. This usually happens between 195 and 205.  Most people here refer to it as the "buttah" test. Brisket is cooked until it is tender, not for a particular time or temperature.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA