Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Max vs Small comparison

Options
124»

Comments

• KielbasyKing
    Options
    Yes, I "need" another egg - was sold on the MM after reading a lot of rave reviews but now having read some of the other comments - should I consider a small now that we know about some of the differences.  Looking to use this as a tailgate and camping egg.
    When you have to shoot...shoot....don't talk!
  • DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Options

V1--I have large and small at home, and tend to use large even for smaller cooks, and just use small for tailgating and when I need second egg to do two separate dishes. (and large in a table so just easier to use the one in the table too)

My small seems to take longer to get going than my large (have hi-que grates in both).  Just curious, does the mini max seems to fire up quicker than your small, or about same?  How does start time on mini max compare to a mini?

Trying to figure out which of the two--mini or mini max--I would prefer.

TIA

I looked around the other day and found out the MM has like a 13 inch (I may be wrong - this by memory) fire grate vs the small has like a 5 inch fire grate. So I think BGE's idea is to fix some of the problems with the small, and make the MM fire up more qickly.
    LBGE
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    The MM has the same fire grate as the large.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    The MM has the same fire grate as the large.
    But it appears to have the same size lower vent as the small.  My small is a dog getting up to temp, but it is still the most used egg out of my five.  You just have to be patient.  I can't see how the MM will be any better with that small lower vent.  BTW, I find the small pretty easy to transport.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    @bowhunr I don't have any trouble transporting my small either. It is at the lake with me now. The only downfall to it is it is a pain to clean out through the lower vent.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• deekortiz3
    Options
    @Crimsongator Could you describe or maybe take a picture comparing the fire rings of the two? Mostly wondering about the height of each one.