Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can't believe I've never done this before

Options
XC242
XC242 Posts: 1,208
edited October 2014 in EggHead Forum
Owned my egg for over 2 years and never attempted a brisket, can't think of a reason why... So time to give it a whirl. Ten pound ( trimmed) Creekstone Farms CAB packer. Salt and pepper rub w/ a little onion and garlic powder. image Rockwood/Ozark Oak w/ 4 large chunks of oak. image Planning to put it on about 10pm. We'll see how it goes...
LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...

Comments

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    :-SS :!!
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Yeah, I would go with ten pm or earlier, I started mine at midnight last time and it didn't finish until 20 hrs later it was 11lbs, made for a late dinner, good thing I did not have company! Good luck, briskets are a fun challenge and a delicious payoff! Enjoy!
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • XC242
    Options
    Okay, thanks guys, I'll fire up the egg now. Appreciate the advice @Mickey‌ and @anton‌.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Standing by patiently.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Looks like a recipe for success B-)
    Jacksonville FL
  • DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Options
    XC242 said:
    Owned my egg for over 2 years and never attempted a brisket, can't think of a reason why... 
    I am with you on that brother XC. It took me about that long to get up the nerve, "Everybody" says a brisket is a hard cook. But I did my first two weeks ago, even had a few problems with the Egg temp, but it was outstanding. I will give another one a try soon. Good luck on your first too.

To any brisket virgins, make sure to watch Aaron Franklin's YouTube videos. They are quite helpful.
    LBGE
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

the Big Green Egg makes you a ROCKSTAR.  A brisket made on the Big Green Egg makes you an UBER ROCKSTAR

Enjoy it!

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Every piece of meat is different. Had my last one go 14 hrs and it was 10lbs.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • XC242
    Options
    Here we go... image
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    A fun journey is ahead of you. Good luck!!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Looking forward to the finish.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

Good luck..it should be a nice weekend. I owned my Large BGE for 3 months..and 2 weeks ago CenTex borrowed me his Cyber Q and I did a my 1st brisket. 13.5 lb trimmed to 10.8lbs.

It turned out fantastic. I was nervous as it I had the "STALL" for a long...looooong..time. I was cooking at 225 deg. The guys on here told me to bump it upafter 12 hours. I bumped up to 175 and finished off. 

Well the CyberQ worked so well...I ordered a DigiQ DX...

HAVE FUN..post pics 

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• mcypert09
    Options
    Go Wisconsin! Good luck with the brisket! Sounds like a great Friday and with the great weather here in Wisconsin this week, I think you're set!

Appleton, WI and Baileys Harbor, WI (Kangaroo Lake)

Grilling and smoking meat year around (even in Frozen Tundra temperatures); tasting and brewing beer - like bourbon and whiskey too; fan of the Green Bay Packers

• bcsnave
    edited October 2014
    Options
    mcypert09 said:
    Go Wisconsin! Good luck with the brisket! Sounds like a great Friday and with the great weather here in Wisconsin this week, I think you're set!

Seems like a few Wisconsinites here....I'm going to the Chili cook off in Oshkosh tomorrow....you going?

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

Glenbeulah, WI

• XC242
    Options
    I love the smell of BBQ in the morning,,, it smells like victory! image
  • mcypert09
    Options
    bcsnave said:
    mcypert09 said:

Seems like a few Wisconsinites here....I'm going to the Chili cook off in Oshkosh tomorrow....you going?

Chili sounds great today but I am out of town. It is great to see the Eggs hitting close to home. Wisconsin and even Oshkosh! Enjoy the chili!!!

Appleton, WI and Baileys Harbor, WI (Kangaroo Lake)

Grilling and smoking meat year around (even in Frozen Tundra temperatures); tasting and brewing beer - like bourbon and whiskey too; fan of the Green Bay Packers

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    @XC242, that looks great dude, congrats! Where did you find that brisket? $/#?

I was planning to pick up a brisket from Costco this weekend, it's been WAY too long...

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Looking good
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Looking good, nice job.  I have also yet to do a brisket.  I have one in the freezer from when we bought a side of beef but there is no telling where it is.  One of these days I will pull a surprise out of there and give it a shot.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    Looks like you are in for a real treat.  For the record, I'm in the slice and eat the point as opposed to making burnt ends.  Obviously your call.  Aaron Franklin's video series has a good one on slicing the brisket-you may want to check it out when you can.  Slice when ready to eat as it will dry out before your eyes.
    And you hit the initial player on the road to brisket success-a quality hunk of beef.  That makes the whole process turn-out well.  Enjoy the cook (best part) and the eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Looks like you are a success story! Post some finish and plated pics for us to drool over.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • bcsnave
    Options

@XC242.......wow your brisket looks good...

Is it tender?

I sliced and ate my 1st a few weeks ago...but the next day when I brought it to work in a slow cooker...the guys in my department went nuts...it was super tender...with red onion...it was fantastic

Glenbeulah, WI

• XC242
    Options
    Just pulled it off at 4:30p, after 20 hours cook time. It's probing like buttah except for one small spot on the flat that's at 200 degrees. Going to FTC it til about 6p. Next time I'll cook it at a little higher temp. image Time for a little nap-nap... Shhhhh. image
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Looks crazy good. 
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • XC242
    Options
    Also, the meat was jiggly, that's a good thing, right @SGH‌?
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Jiggles is waaaayyyyy good!!! I get excited anytime I get a hunk of jiggly meat. That didn't sound right but oh well. Cheers!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • XC242
    Options
    That's okay @Mattman3969‌, we're pretty much all thinking the same thing...
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @XC242‌
    Yes sir. That is a real good thing my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Sliced? Looks great man!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL