Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dang clean burns

Well I shut my egg down from a clean burn about thirty minutes ago. I just went to take a peek at it. I didn't want to open it all the way after hearing about the luck @jls9595‌ had. Well, it wouldn't open at all. It seemed to have glued itself shut. I put a new nomex gasket on a while back after the old one was fried. But the new one had plenty of use on it, high heat and low and slows. So what now? Do I pry it open and finally get a Rutland?
NW IOWA

Comments

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Yes.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Use a thin screw driver or mud knife. Be patient. Yes..rutland.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Not so sure a high heat clean burn would melt the gasket together, it could soften the crud on the gasket and fuse it together as it cooled, but that could happen with any gasket. 

Was it cool enough to touch? 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Before I installed a Rutland I got a lot of practice cutting the egg apart myself. I got to where I could cut a stuck egg apart in under 3 minutes. To each his own but I find that a 4" fillet knife is the optimum tool for the job. It works like a charm and will not damage the ceramics. Good luck my friend, and install a Rutland and your gasket issues will be solved hence forth.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    It was still about 500° in the egg but it was out. I always knew I'd end up with a Rutland some day, and eventually I'd be out of nomex gaskets. When my first one fried, they sent me two. So I still have one left. Oh well, I'm sure Ilol find a use for it someday.
    NW IOWA
  • I don't like clean burns. I did one a few months ago on a 14 year old egg. Wish I had never done it. Won't do it again. I think all the black gooy resin adds to the flavor of the egg.
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    That's why I strip the factory gasket when I bring one home and put a Rutland on before I ever cook on it.  Five eggs, five Rutland's.  Thanks RRP!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    I have this picture in my mind of @sgh shucking BGE's like oysters! The only time I've had an egg freeze shut is when it froze shut.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Exactly why I don't clean burn lmao
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    BOWHUNR said:

That's why I strip the factory gasket when I bring one home and put a Rutland on before I ever cook on it.  Five eggs, five Rutland's.  Thanks RRP!

Mike
    Husker brother. Does the OEM remove easily if done this way (before cooked on)? Or is it about the same either way?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    One more reason not to replace a gasket. They work fine w/o them
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487

Mike
    Husker brother. Does the OEM remove easily if done this way (before cooked on)? Or is it about the same either way?
    Comes right off with a putty knife.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE