Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Vacuum Cleaner

Options
Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674
Have bought $$$ and $$ ones that all last about the same time and suck at sucking. Our house has a couple of small rugs around and all hardwood (no carpet). Anybody found a winner out there?
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    Dyson. Period.
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Dyson DC 65.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    We have an Oreck and it has been sucking well for 3 years or so.  My only complaint is it is LOUD.  It sounds like a frikkin leaf blower in the house.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    We have a dyson animal dc 50 it's the smaller one. We have all hardwood and about 4 area rugs. It's small powerful has a wand for things like the couch and such. The beater can be switched off so we use that on the wood and it does a better job than sweeping.
  • Stidrvr
    Stidrvr Posts: 54
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Shark Rotator, jack of all trades, works great as a canister or as and upright. Have heard too many bad things about dysons from friends. All hardwood floors, one large area rug in the living room. We have 2 cats and 2 dogs.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,612
    Options
    Dyson. Dogs and small kids we used to go through a new vacuum every 2-3 years and have now had our Dyson 10+
  • Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    Options
    Dyson Animal! It's been through 10 years, 4 dogs and a cat! Still works like it did the day we bought it!
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    We really love our Shark.  Works great on any surface.  The lady that cleans our house says it's her favorite vacuum to use at any of her houses she cleans.  It's not expensive and it's light.  I got ours at Target.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Hate the shark. Wish I'd have spent the $ on the dyson.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    For carpets, I love my Dyson, for the hardwood floors, I use a little cheapy with cleanable filter, no bags.  Cost me about $50 and I've had it for 20 years.  This is likely the current version of what I have.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Mickey
    edited October 2014
    Options
    We really love our Shark.  Works great on any surface.  The lady that cleans our house says it's her favorite vacuum to use at any of her houses she cleans.  It's not expensive and it's light.  I got ours at Target.

d Kelly which one do you have? Linda is wanting a Shark.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DoctorMojo
    Options
    Dyson Animal....We love ours!

Southern, Tennessee

LBGE, MBGE  

• RickyBobby
    Options
    Install a VacuFlo central vacuum system ... it will bring the value of your home up also. Great product!
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    We use a Simplicity canister, dry swifters & Hoover Floor Mate. 99% tile with area rugs in our home.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    We have central vac. Works great. Has never failed me. We just did our red room and put an outlet in for the central vac. I don't know why but my wife wanted a Roomba. WOW. That thing picked up so much stuff that the vac missed. We haven't used the central since April.
  • Boileregger
    Options
    I know it sounds weird, but we just picked up the Neato BotVac. It is pretty cool because you don't have to vacuum...the robot does it. It does a good enough job that we only manually vacuum once a month. And the robot is on a schedule to vacuum for us 4x a week. Works great.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    I found a $1,500 Kirby Classic III at a yard sale, with all accessories, for $100, in 1983.  I'm still using it.  It's a messy pain to empty but otherwise will be my only vacuum this lifetime.   :-bd
    I do remember looking at the Dyson, a Consumer Reports  said yeah, it didn't lose suction, but its suction was pretty poor to begin with (but it sounds like others, above, like it).

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    I don't know why but my wife wanted a Roomba. WOW. That thing picked up so much stuff that the vac missed. We haven't used the central since April.

Wow, that's interesting!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    We just got a Dyson Animal and must say it works pretty dang good.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    If I had the dollars, I would have bought the new Rainbow. However, the Dyson does well. We only have two rooms with carpet @Mickey‌, and I must say it does well in hard floors.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • NervousDad
    Options
    Another vote for Dyson, worth every penny IMO. We have 3 and they are fantastic. We went from a house that was 100% hardwood to 50% carpet and they worked well on all floors. We have the Animal upright, a cordless and a standard. 
    Aurora,OH
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Dyson has always worked great for us.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @Mickey‌ I work for the largest flooring manufacturer in the world. Here is a link to our trade groups certified vacuums. Personally, we have a Shark Navigator. A lot of these are overkill for your needs. Dyson is overkill for a couple of rugs as well IMO. If you have animals in the house, look for a no suction loss machine. http://www.carpet-rug.org/CRI-Testing-Programs/CRI-Seal-of-Approval-Program/Vacuums/Certified-Vacuums.aspx
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Shark, red and white. Best vacuum I've owned. Little heavy and the 30' cord is cumbersome at times, but overall we like it. Think it was a few hundred...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I've had a dyson for years. They rock for multi surface floors. My friend just bought a shark and it sucked harder. We did a side by side.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I have a bagless vacuum. I hate cleaning that canister, it's gross.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options

My friend just bought a shark and it sucked harder. We did a side by side.

I could go so many different directions with this. =))
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    So sad Mick. Finally get to the point you can rest and she's making you do the hoovering. =))
    Thanks for the help with Salado too. I got your e-mail but couldn't post on the forum. My e-mail is steveanelson@hotmail.com

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Options

So sad Mick. Finally get to the point you can rest and she's making you do the hoovering. =))
    Thanks for the help with Salado too. I got your e-mail but couldn't post on the forum. My e-mail is steveanelson@hotmail.com

Yes but I have a cute apron.