Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To Clean Burn or Not

After reading about the trials and sometimes tribulations of doing a high temperature clean burn I am inclined to not do one. I have had an XL now for close to 7 or 8 years and have cooked a lot of things in it, from whole suckling pig to the usual cooks. I have a healthy coating of black on the inside of the dome but I never have had a problem with any of that flaking off into whatever I am cooking. I already have a Rutland gasket on the XL so I know it would stand the heat but I am having a problem figuring out if the gain of getting rid of the soot accumulation would outweigh the potential problems that seem to come from high temp burns. I do cook pizza on the XL but never at more than 450-500.
My question to the forum is, does BGE Headquarters have an official stance on this topic? I hope I am not the only egger that is confused..

Watkinsville, Ga   XL, Medium

Comments

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Nope you are not alone !!!! I also have not been aware of any problem by not clean burning. 

I have also asked the question....good luck !

Always curious, always willing to learn !!

DD

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    if your not having any taste or flaking problems then theres no reason to do a clean burn.how have you gone so long without bringing the egg up to searing temps, you have a ferrari thats never gone over 30 mph
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    dldawes1 said:
    Nope you are not alone !!!! I also have not been aware of any problem by not clean burning. 

DD
    my worste experience was a summer of chicken thigh cooks weekly on my camp egg, the black really built up, then i did an all day long brunswick stew cook and the steam seamed to lift and separate the gunk from the ceramic, it peeled and dropped into the stew like crunchy tarpaper
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    dldawes1 said:

DD
    my worste experience was a summer of chicken thigh cooks weekly on my camp egg, the black really built up, then i did an all day long brunswick stew cook and the steam seamed to lift and separate the gunk from the ceramic, it peeled and dropped into the stew like crunchy tarpaper
    ^^^^This. When you have black flakes dropping on the stuff below, I like to fire it hot for awhile and then hit the dome with a foil ball after it cools down.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    I did a clean burn lay night because it was starting to put off a funky tasty. There was a lot of grease build up on the fire ring, and it wasn't just black, I could actually see grease and it was putting off bad smoke. If you don't need to do a clean burn, then dont.
    NW IOWA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427

Me too, only clean burn I've done was after a huge bunch of cheekuns; felt a lot better about the Egg once it was clean.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• I normally just do a pizza cook at 700 or so after a long low and slow. That's keeps the grease buildup from getting too bad.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Well, I did do a couple of pizza cooks at 750, thats why I have a Rutland gasket! But in general I just don't cook that hot. I know I can get it over 1000, I just choose not to. I have both my eggs in a table/counter set up now so I am still a little skittish about getting too hot.
    Thanks for the input folks, I appreciate it. I'll post some pictures of the new cabinets once the wood dries out a little and I can have it stained.

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    I tried a long 700* burn last night to burn out some grease and old lump. If you saw my thread you know what happened. I guess if you do it make sure the bolts are tight first and maybe let it cool down to around 400* before opening all the way. Mine had already gotten back down to 575* or so and the dome still fell out when I opened it.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971

A friend has a small egg that doesn't get a lot of use.  Water had seeped in and there was mold all over.  I probably have some horrible lung disease after cleaning out the old lump and ash.  I loaded it with lump and let it burn at 450 until done. (I have no idea how long it burned - it went overnight.)  that seemed to work well.

Yes, I know what you're thinking.  How am I going to hijack that egg for myself?  I'd love to have a small to cook on over the winter!

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • I did see your thread jls9595, it was one of the tribulations that I was struck by. 
    I am leaning towards a 550 or so burn followed by a cool down and scraping with 
    a ball of aluminum foil. If, that is, I decide to do the clean burn at all! I do my stew in a 
    10 gallon black iron pot as well as chicken mull, but I do occasionally do chili on the XL. 
    I wouldn't want any soot flakes breaking off in the chili.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    I guess mine just needs a few more years of use. No grease, no black coating. No black flakes.

Yet !!!!!!

Maybe my  butt's not as greasy as yall's ???? Just a thought !!! But maybe one day it will be !!

DD

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !!