Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time pizza... 3rd one a charm

Options
wrobs
wrobs Posts: 109
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My son and I did pizza on the Egg tonight for the first time. I made pizza dough in a bread machine for 3-4 12" pies. I had Egg stable at 500 with a pizza stone. Used cornmeal on the peel to aid in getting pie off but the first 2 burned the bottom BAD... in just a couple of minutes. I had to scrape burnt crispies off the stone between the first and second pies. Well, on the 3rd (and final) pie I used a pizza pan with air holes and had edible results and a crunchy crust.
What went wrong? Was stone too hot? I seem to think that part of the burnt crispies on the stone was from the cornmeal on the bottom of the pies. Could it be the new stone and not enough heat seasoning? Any ideas and/or suggestions on what to try or do different?
TIA,
wrobs

Comments

• wrobs,
    Did you use a plate setter with the stone? I cooked pizza with and without a pizza pan, never used cornmeal on the stone and did fine, but I had the thermal mass of the plate setter and stone. I cook at 550 dome temp. What I do now is use a 15 3/4 pizza pan with air holes and cook large pizzas that take 15-18 minutes to cook. They are great.

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    wrobs,[p]Stone was too hot. Go to the "Whiz's" website. The pizza tutorial is excellent, and keep in mind that baking thin crust pizza differs from the technique to bake thick crust.[p]Puj

[ul][li]Whiz's Site[/ul]