Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outdoor cabinet wishlist?

Options
I'd like to set up an outdoor kitchen counter setup for our XL BGE.  Anyone have suggestions must-haves for it?

Right away I'm interested in having at least two drawers and some pull-out shelves.  The drawers for implements (tongs, thermometer, etc) and the slide-outs for all the egg-cessories.  Finding somewhere to PUT the plate-setter, pizza stones, adjustable rig, etc, is no small challenge!  So I'm thinking of setting up some pull out wire shelving for them.  The trick will be in finding suitable doors for this kind of setup.  

The setup allows for 14' length of a counter along one edge of the patio.  It's open to the elements (no roof) and directly south-facing with no trees.  A nearby suncast cabinet gets pretty toasty inside due to the sun. 

Is there a forum online somewhere that really gets into outdoor kitchen design?  

Comments

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    I'm starting to design my own table and have a lot of the same ideas. Like the use of the wire shelves compared to wood. Only thought I have to add would be a pull out cutting board. I will be very interested in what experts have to add to this.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Try Naked Whiz site for ideas:

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Be careful to give yourself extra front to back space in the actual cabinet so you can house accessories. That's my only complaint about my outdoor kitchen is it's set at normal kitchen cabinet depths (roughly 24") and it doesn't give enough room for XL accessories.

Drawers sound like a good idea till you get to the reality. Outdoor drawers are dirty. And thus you won't use them like you are planning. I ended up going with large tupperware container with my grill tools in it on a shelf in the cabinet. It's easy to pull out, keeps bugs off, and stays dry.

A sink is the single most valuable addition I made to my outdoor kitchen. I love having a sink even though it's only cold water and I have to filter any solids out at the sink. It's still absolutely worth the ridiculous amount of money it cost to plumb it.

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options

A sink would be on my wishlist.

As would storage areas for all of my eggsessories and general bbq tools - including lump and smoke-wood.  This would mean that waterproof storage is also on my list.  I imagine when I build myself a new setup (which is looking like next spring), I will have to find a way to seal the inside of my storage areas so that rain/snow etc. don't make my lump all soggy.

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • wkearney99
    Options
    Excellent point about the depth.  I haven't yet measure things and would no doubt have run up against that.  Fortunately it'll be all custom and built-in so I won't have to worry too much about sticking to 'standard' sizes.  I could also store things on an angle, presumably with jigs of some sort to hold them properly.  It wouldn't be as efficient as just laying them flat, but it'd be an option.

Likewise I think you're probably right about the drawers.  I had an outdoor sink gizmo some years ago that had a drawer.  It never stayed clean.   So perhaps I'll revise that to be another pull-out shelf with space for tupperware/plastic containers on it.

I have nearby plumbing in the house exterior wall.  I "could" integrate with that but don't really plan on it.  I don't want yet another thing to winterize and maintain.  I have a boat already, that's enough dealing with it's water system every year.  

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I am currently designing an outdoor kitchen for XL and hopefully a small to come later with 32" deep cabinets and a few drawers on AutoCad. Its in a U shape and hope to have a sink if I figure out what to do with the waste water. I would also like to have a cover over it of some kind, either permanent or retractable awning. I will post it when I'm done.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • wkearney99
    Options
    I've played around with the idea a bit using SketchUp in 3D.  Anything is possible when just playing around, but I'd like to find more info on what sizes and shapes of cabinet accessories are available.  Obviously stainless would be an option, but what else would work?  I'm guessing this sort of goes outside the scope of Egg-related discussions, so anyone have other forums to recommend for this?  I'd be glad to summarize back here.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    @wkearney99‌, I have been designing mine on both SketchUp 3D and now in AutoCAD 3D, but the site below has a design tool that is helpful if you want to go with metal framing. You don't have get it from them, but it you want to use metal framing it gives you an idea of what it may look like. I am leaning this way or going with treated lumber. This would be faster, but cost more. The add on pieces like doors, sinks drawers are more expensive then the cabinets, but they are stainless steel.  I have included what I am designing so far in AutoCAD 3D.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • wkearney99
    Options
    My big question is how to effectively store the large accessories for an XL BGE.  That and stuff like a grill rotisserie rack.  I sent the bbqcoach folks a question about that.  I suppose something like a pair of large doors with slide-out shelves would be necessary.  

If I'm going to spend all this money I'd darn sure like to have the design eliminate all the 'little things' that cause problems.
  • Tspud1
    Options
    Ladeback, you can frame it with wood, then put on a backerboard then put outside finish on that.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    Ladeback, you can frame it with wood, then put on a backerboard then put outside finish on that.

@Tspud1, That's what is thinking it would be a lot easier.  My patio isn't covered, but i could add that too.  

@wkearney99, I would go with the large double doors and 32" deep cabinets.  That's what I am thinking of building.  They should be able to steer you in the right direction.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Tspud1
    Options
    Ladeback, we made all the stainless parts for that outdoor kitchen and then just slid them into place and attached to studs. It could be done on metal frame as well.
  • Woody
    Woody Posts: 125
    Options
    Agree with the suggestions about drawers behind doors.  My table also has room for a pull out charcoal storage bin and upright storage for plate setter and Griddle Q.

Whatever room you think you need now, just know in the long run it won't be enough so plan extra storage for those Eggcessories you will come to want in the future.
    Woody in Northville, MI
    Large BGE with AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware Cap, Wok, Grill Grates and Kettle Q
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I got this table/cabinet - it fits everything.  It had to hold all the grates, stones, some wood chunks/chips, drawers for bbq tools, counter space to prep/stage.  Water proof.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1155850/what-do-you-think-of-this-cabinet-cart/p1

Garnerville, NY
  • Tspud1
    Options
    robnybbq, which model did you get? How much it set you back, just curious. Like to compare prices

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I got the Harlow (Corner one)  Those are my pics of my egg/table half way down in the thread.  I got a great deal and an end of season sale.  $1,500 if I remember right

Garnerville, NY
  • wkearney99
    Options
    The real challenge is finding out what sort of 'standard' items exist for this purpose, and their price ranges.  Sure, I could have just about anything fabricated in stainless, but I already have a boat that sucks up those kinds of ridiculous expenses.

The drawers, or shelves, behind doors idea is one I like.  That said, door have the problem of having to be swung open first.  Which can be an issue, especially if they can't swing back flat (due to surface materials, etc).  Or they end up being 'in the way'.

So I'd like to get a better sampling of what kinds of outdoor grade doors, drawers and shelves are out there.  Any online suggestions to browse?
  • budsrq
    budsrq Posts: 8
    Options
    I brought some base cabinets home from a remodel and put some casters underneath to roll it around. Then mounted the extra burner from the old gasser to fire up my lump fast and fitted a piece of granite for the top. The drawers hold everything I need.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Sarasota, Fl.
  • Pattypilot
    Options
    The Challenger tables are pricy but worth the money! They withstand the Florida salt & humidity, are very well designed and easily hold all of my BGE toys.  I highly recommend them.  Also I found a Kingsford Caddy at The Container Store - specially made to store charcoal.  2 tubs can handle a large bag of BGE & they have a handle to make it easy to pour the wood into my egg.  image
  • Tspud1
    Options
    Patty pilot, how much was that table
  • Pattypilot
    Options
    approx. $2,500   expensive but well built with quality hardware, seals,  powder coated finish, etc.  Brand is Challenger
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    All the suggestions are for horizontal space.  If it doesn't move, why not go vertical with some of the storage?  Use adjustable shelves and you won't be trapped by a later purchase.  Charcoal, in garbage tubs, in the bottom.  Racks and tools in the upper shelves all stored in plastic containers.  With the plastic containers, waterproofing isn't so critical.

Then the BGE can be on a table that is movable and decicated to cooking vs storage.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Ladeback69
    Options
    approx. $2,500   expensive but well built with quality hardware, seals,  powder coated finish, etc.  Brand is Challenger

My has one for the Large and XL in that same green which is now I believe discontinued because BGE bought it out. They have a XL demo they are asking around $1800 like that, but the wife says know. They are nice tables.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Tspud1
    Options
    Ladeback69, Challenger still makes a line of grill carts but also does a few models that only Green egg sells.